FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: To cross ourselves, or to bow?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My brother shared with me recently that a priest informed him that we should not cross oursevles during "Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost" when praying the Rosary, as that is Eastern, but rather we should bow when praying this since we are part of the Roman Rite. I had not heard this before. Can anyone here enlighten me on this? Thanks!
I have always been told to bow during the "Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost," whether during the rosary or in any liturgical context.
I do both.
The Byzantine practice is to cross ourselves; the Latin practice is to bow.  For non-liturgical purposes, you can do whatever feels right to you.
(01-18-2013, 12:46 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: [ -> ]My brother shared with me recently that a priest informed him that we should not cross oursevles during "Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost" when praying the Rosary, as that is Eastern, but rather we should bow when praying this since we are part of the Roman Rite. I had not heard this before. Can anyone here enlighten me on this? Thanks!
It is true that bowing is the Western practice, generally speaking, whilst crossing oneself is the Eastern. For laymen, and especially during private prayer such as the Rosary, it is not worth worrying about and you may do what you please. During the Mass/Office/etc., you should probably bow although I do not see the problem with also crossing yourself as long as you are discreet and not telling others they ought to do the same.
I cross myself; or do both. I've never heard of just bowing during it though? Huh?
(01-18-2013, 03:04 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: [ -> ]I cross myself; or do both. I've never heard of just bowing during it though? Huh?

The Ritus Servandus instructs the priest to bow at the Gloria Patri during Mass:
Ritus Servandus, III, 6 Wrote:When, at the end of the psalm he says: Gloria Patri, etc., he bows his head to the cross.
Ritus Servandus, IV, 2 Wrote:When he says: Gloria Patri, etc., he bows his head keeping his hands joined.
Okay. I always bow my head at the  Holy name of Jesus, whenever we pray the Ave, though. Smile  Tip o' the hat
I have never heard, seen or read in any rubric that anyone is to make the sign of the cross at the Glory Be (I think it's technical name is the "minor doxology"-?).  Never.
(01-18-2013, 07:04 PM)Allan Wrote: [ -> ]I have never heard, seen or read in any rubric that anyone is to make the sign of the cross at the Glory Be (I think it's technical name is the "minor doxology"-?).  Never.

I observe it regularly in the Maronite and Byzantine churches I attend.
Pages: 1 2