FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Gun Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Apologies if this topic has already been covered- the forum will not allow me to search.

What is the Catholic Church's position on gun control?

I've seen a few documents from the USCCB and one from the Vatican's Council for Justice and Peace, and they seem fairly clear that the Church wants to eventually eliminate civilian ownership of firearms.
(01-19-2013, 02:30 PM)Aegis Wrote: [ -> ]Apologies if this topic has already been covered- the forum will not allow me to search.

"Gun control" is a vague term.

It is also a political/social issue, not a matter of morals or doctrine.

Self defense and private property are good under the teachings of the Church.
(01-19-2013, 02:30 PM)Aegis Wrote: [ -> ]Apologies if this topic has already been covered- the forum will not allow me to search.

I've seen a few documents from the USCCB and one from the Vatican's Council for Justice and Peace, and they seem fairly clear that the Church wants to eventually eliminate civilian ownership of firearms.

This is true, but it is sort of a fuzzy area, as nothing is really all that official. This stance is also taken based on very faulty logic, specifically that the state is capable of protecting it's citzens effectively, history shows that government is quite efficient at the opposite.
Also, it's probably a good practice to ignore the USCCB.  LOL
(01-19-2013, 02:45 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]Also, it's probably a good practice to ignore the USCCB.  LOL

Too true sir.

I wonder who bought them off to state such things.
I'm generally against gun control, but to play devil's advocate, couldn't one say that, since, according to St. Thomas, it is immoral for a private person to intentionally kill another, private gun ownership ought to be restricted in some ways? After all, it is, I am told, very difficult to shoot accurately in a life-or-death situation, making it unlikely that a person in such a situation would be able to take the time to ensure that he is taking a non-lethal shot, and authorities on the subject say that one should always shoot to kill anyway. Given all this, couldn't one say that at least handguns, assault weapons, and other firearms that seem to be designed primarily for defensive or offensive purposes ought to be banned?
Lateran II banned the crossbow.

The idea that everyone has a right to arms is an enlightenment idea.
To be fair, I think that the right and duty to keep and bear arms was often seen as one of the marks of a freeman in England even during the Middle Ages. Obviously, this does not mean that there was any notion of an inherent right to arms, and I believe that there were restrictions on what types of weapons each class of men could own, so you are right to say that the idea that absolutely everyone has the right to arms is an Enlightenment idea, but I suppose one might still argue that the Second Amendment has roots in an older tradition.
"Gun Control" means one hits what one aims at; gun restriction, banning, outlawing, confiscation and overturning of the 2nd amendment are what this issue is about.  The discussion will make more sense without the use of euphemisms.
Pages: 1 2 3 4