FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Sedevacantism Debate at this Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
I agree 100% with Thomas. 

There are a few reasons that I think the sedevacantist position is incorrect.  However, there are also a few reasons that I am not 100% sure that it is incorrect.  I am not impressed with the argument that I have seen several times that someone being formally recognized as holding the office is sufficient to defeat the sede argument.  That argument is about as useful and meaningful as saying "it is what it is."  Some further discussion would be helpful for me.
(01-30-2013, 07:46 PM)OHCA Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few reasons that I think the sedevacantist position is incorrect.  However, there are also a few reasons that I am not 100% sure that it is incorrect.  I am not impressed with the argument that I have seen several times that someone being formally recognized as holding the office is sufficient to defeat the sede argument.  That argument is about as useful and meaningful as saying "it is what it is."  Some further discussion would be helpful for me.

This.

I have done a plenitude of research on the subject and have realized all counter arguments presented by learned men from the SSPX and the Remnant have failed miserably to defeat the sede argument from the canonical position. I don't see it as true when apparitions acknowledge the reign of the Pontiffs in question but would still like to see an irrefutable & logical canonical counter argument against their case.
You should bring it back if only to get rid of accusations of posts (and/or posters) one doesn't like by hurling "sede!" at them.
Bring it back.

Before vII we were all on the same page. Once the destruction began, we all had to make hard choices.  Outside of arguing for or against the Sede position, we all have a lot in common.  If we could contain the bickering about the Sede position in one subforum, I believe we could all get along fine.  From my own perspective (I'm not a Sede), I value the discussions of those in the Sede camp.

There is a lack of agreement between most non-Sede groups (FSSP and SSPX) but we manage to have discussions about things Catholic.

In the end, we all realize there are serious problems with the Church. We have all been forced, regardless of position, to make some tough choices in response to the crisis.  I think a Sede subforum would be okay.
hmm

51 yes
51 no
= 102 votes

But poll says "101 voters"
(01-30-2013, 09:32 PM)Whitey Wrote: [ -> ]hmm

51 yes
51 no
= 102 votes

But poll says "101 voters"

I suspect a hanging chad.  Sneaky

Florida 2000 redux, FTW!!!!!
(01-30-2013, 06:48 PM)Thomas58 Wrote: [ -> ]NO, Sedevacantism should definitely NOT be allowed to be discussed anywhere on Fisheaters including the Cornfield. Furthermore, the site should amend its definition of what a Catholic is to NOT include Sedevacantists.

My reasoning for this is that it is apparent that the majority of people on this forum don’t believe that Sedevacantists are Catholic. The few Sedevacantists that actually post here are ridiculed, besmirched and attacked. They are called Protestant, non-Catholic, separated from the Church. They are called schismatics and heretics. They are compared to Atheists. They are told that they are instruments of the devil to put doubts in people and attack the Church. All of this is tolerated by the moderator.

Since it is very evident that Sedevacantists are not welcome here and this forum, in my view, is not equally moderated, (There is no way the lack of charity and name calling would be tolerated if directed at any other group) discussion on the topic should just be banned and Sedevacantists should be told to go elsewhere.

There are any number of other forums where Sedes can go and the issue can be discussed without all nastiness being directed at them. Cathinfo seems to be able to discuss the issue in a civil manner as well as the new forum, Suscipe Domine. It’s all in the moderation.

I do, however, very much like the idea of inviting more people from Catholic Answers over to Fisheaters! That's going to be great!

LOL

Well, you make a point.
Wow.  I can't believe how close this thing turned out.  It's good for the 'nay' folks that I've been super busy and unable to post recently otherwise it would have been 52-51 in favor of allowing sede discussion. 

Of course, when a vote is this close, that goes for a lot of people.
Still glad I didn't vote though.  Never vote.  It just encourages them. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35