FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Sedevacantism Debate at this Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
(02-07-2013, 10:09 AM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: [ -> ]I'm well aware that words have meanings.  In case you're not aware of the fact, this post came off as rather condescending.  You recently commented that your only contact with those who attend SSPX Masses is through this forum, and it has not improved your view of them.  I would say that there are not that many people here from the other side who make me feel that much better about them, either.  This post, and posts that say things like "state of emergency is JUST a strawman argument to continue administering illicit sacraments," which seems to imply the bad faith of the entire SSPX, rather demonstrates what I mean.

I do not question the good faith of the SSPX.  Nor do I question your good faith in your posts here.  Also, I like you.  Just saying.
(02-07-2013, 05:21 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]I do not question the good faith of the SSPX.  Nor do I question your good faith in your posts here.  Also, I like you.  Just saying.

Very kind of you.  The feeling is mutual, and long has been.  I wish we saw eye to eye more, but I can understand and respect your opinion, and even more the way you express it.  You are generally a credit to whatever side of the argument you happen to be on.

(02-07-2013, 04:43 PM)Old Salt Wrote: [ -> ]They will never, ever say it, but by the things the Society alludes to seems as if they believe they are always right when it comes to Church teaching, which in turn alludes to them believing that they are the Magisterium and not the Holy See.

I'm not sure 'alludes' in bold is the word you want-- maybe more "implies that" than "alludes to".  In any case, the Holy See is not the Magisterium.  The Magisterium is much broader than that, encompassing, I believe, the entire ecclesia docens, at least down as far as the individual priest.  And the Magisterium is not, in general, infallible, as best I can tell.

There is an infallible Magisterium, but the Magisterium, as a whole, is not infallible, as far as I can tell.  And sadly, our modern Churchmen seem to be rather determined to use the fallible and even erroneous parts.
The Ecclesia docens includes only the Roman Pontiff and the bishops in communion with him.  It does not include priests, nor theologians (unless perhaps some of them are bishops).  Priests actually belong to the Ecclesia dicens (learning Church).  "The bishops are teachers by virtue of their function, while the priests are such only by participation and delegation" (Parente, Dictionary of Dogmatic Theology, p. 83, 1st Eng. ed.).
Haha, alright.  One good correction deserves another.  I'm sure you meant the ecclesia discens rather than the ecclesia dicens.

Seriously, thanks for the clarification.  As a practical matter, though, I would certainly still tend to think of priests as docentes, even if, strictly speaking, it's only by delegation.
Oops!  LOL  Thanks, JuniorCouncilor!

And I would count priests as docentes as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35