FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How Do YOU Decide What to Give Up for Lent?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you just go for whatever's the most difficult for you, or do you lean toward somrthing that would have health (or other) benefits as well, like giving up soda? My (non-practicing) aunt has an irritating habit of always "one-upping" my suggestions for myself: I was considering giving up dessert, and she said : "You should give up all junk-food!" Or, I thought of giving up coffee: "Why don't you give up all caffeine?"

I want my choice of what to give up to be...well, penitential, but I don't think that it needs to be an all-or-nothing sort of thing, or that it needs to be the most difficult thing that I can think of. What do you guys think?

I think that it would be a good idea to make some sort of resolution, also, like spending half an hour each day reading the Bible. That way, I would benefit spiritually from the reading, and I could gain some plenary indulgences for the souls in purgatory.
For the last three years I have given up hot water for personal hygiene. I will do the same this year. Cold showers in the winter can be very invigorating. I offer my discomfort to Jesus for the love of thee, for the conversion of sinners, and in reparation for the sins committed against the immaculate heart of Mary.

My family also gives up something together.  Last year it was red meat. This year we decided on cable TV. The money we save giving up these things is given to charity.
Generally late or at the last minute.

Last year I gave up my bike, which previously I had been riding to class each day.  The reason?  Somebody stole it on Ash Wednesday.
Very impressive Adam Michael
I've found better results in committing to a positive.  So a commitment to increased prayer and spiritual reading.  I find that by simply giving things up, I usually find other things to take their place.  Last Lent I was praying the entirety of the Office each day (though I gave myself flexibility on Matins).  Giving up TV and Video games are secondary to this.  And of course, observing the traditional disciplines of fast and abstinence.  Saved a lot of money on groceries during Lent last year.  Smile
I agree with Mith's method, as it was suggested by a few sources and I found it worked out well last year. My negative (giving something up) failed 3/4 of the way through and I already tend enough toward scrupulosity that it's probably healthier to try "eating healthy" before I try "dieting"... ya dig?

I also found giving something up just let another thing take its place. For me, I plan to give up the internet in a particular sense. I cannot easily give up computers/internet entirely as one abstains from chocolate or similar due to my circumstance. I do plan, however, to give up personal internet use and replace it with a positive of more Scripture reading, encyclicals, etc. Invariably, I shall need to probably use the internet to clarify stuff in that pursuit but I wouldn't consider that on par with truly personal use, such as non-religious ventures. I will, however, try to limit it if I just can't figure it out from paper sources.

I let my wife decide.
(01-25-2013, 09:11 PM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]Do you just go for whatever's the most difficult for you, or do you lean toward somrthing that would have health (or other) benefits as well, like giving up soda? My (non-practicing) aunt has an irritating habit of always "one-upping" my suggestions for myself: I was considering giving up dessert, and she said : "You should give up all junk-food!" Or, I thought of giving up coffee: "Why don't you give up all caffeine?"

I live in a manner which makes it difficult to meet the requirements given in the letter of the law.

So, I give up little things when required to give things up. Last Lent,  it was spices and herbs added to food.
I've already had my Lenten fast.

Welcome back NHL.
(01-26-2013, 12:38 PM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: [ -> ]I've already had my Lenten fast.

Welcome back NHL.

Ha!

Nice!

Pages: 1 2