FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fish Frys, Bingo, and Church Picnicks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Fish Frys, Bingo, and Church Picnics

How far back do they go ? Pre-VII ?
(01-28-2013, 07:29 PM)Whitey Wrote: [ -> ]Fish Frys, Bingo, and Church Picnics

How far back do they go ? Pre-VII ?

Willa Cather talks about them in Oh, Pioneers!  That was written around the 20s. 
Bingo kept my old Parish afloat. We had one more thing which other Parishes didn't, a full court basket ball Gymnasium. On frdays it was converted to a roller rink with a dime for admission. It was another little profit center. It also served for Golden Gloves Matches.

tim
Thanks for the replies. I figured picnics were common, but wasn't sure about the others.
(01-28-2013, 08:35 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Bingo kept my old Parish afloat. We had one more thing which other Parishes didn't, a full court basket ball Gymnasium. On frdays it was converted to a roller rink with a dime for admission. It was another little profit center. It also served for Golden Gloves Matches.

tim

A roller rink and boxing matches in the gym?  Shocked Shocked Shocked The liability insurance alone would kill a parish nowadays.  God bless the lawyers.
They don't use those exact words but they do talk about something like it in the Fathers of the Desert. The word they used was "agape."
At least back into the 50s, which is the earliest I remember.
Wow. We have a local Catholic orphans home picnic that draws a crazy number of people. I googled it and found this on their site

"In 1850, only one year after St. Joseph Children’s Home was founded, the Orphans’ Picnic began. "

(01-28-2013, 10:53 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-28-2013, 08:35 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Bingo kept my old Parish afloat. We had one more thing which other Parishes didn't, a full court basket ball Gymnasium. On frdays it was converted to a roller rink with a dime for admission. It was another little profit center. It also served for Golden Gloves Matches.

tim

A roller rink and boxing matches in the gym?   Shocked Shocked Shocked The liability insurance alone would kill a parish nowadays.  God bless the lawyers.

Yeah, things were different then. The gym had a manager besides the PE teacher. It had a small concession stand with all kinds of good stuff like cotton candy and popcorn and bottles of ice cold pop. The manager was Bernie Masterson. He played for the Chicago Bears and coached Nebraska football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Masterson

The Pastor was the founder of the CYO, Bishop Sheil. Here's wikipedia on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_James_Sheil

tim
Even my great grandmother played the Bingo religiously. I don't remember Fish Frys as a kid and neither does my Mom. In the past every single Friday was meatless. To maintain a weekly Fish Fry requires a lot of work and so these days they just have them during Fridays in Lent.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5