FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Share recipes and cookbooks for Lent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think vegan and oil-free are the most difficult recipes to find.

One of my favorite vegan cookbooks is "Vive le Vegan." Written by a woman with small children, the recipes are flavorful and not complicated. From what I remember, most contain oil. The book is sympathetic to avoidance or allergy to nuts and gluten.

Please specify if your recipe is traditional to a certain culture, difficult or easy, kid or family friendly and what it does or does not contain pertaining to fasting laws (fish, eggs, sugar, dairy, oil, etc.).
Any easy fish soup recipes besides opening up a Campbells Clam Chowder?
(02-05-2013, 05:13 PM)FaithandLove Wrote: [ -> ]I think vegan and oil-free are the most difficult recipes to find.

One of my favorite vegan cookbooks is "Vive le Vegan." Written by a woman with small children, the recipes are flavorful and not complicated. From what I remember, most contain oil. The book is sympathetic to avoidance or allergy to nuts and gluten.

Please specify if your recipe is traditional to a certain culture, difficult or easy, kid or family friendly and what it does or does not contain pertaining to fasting laws (fish, eggs, sugar, dairy, oil, etc.).

Oh I hope this becomes an active thread!  In additon to what CrusaderKing posted take a look in the foods forum, we've had some threads on this topic.

Though I am Roman Catholic, for the past few years I've tried to follow the Eastern Lenten fasting traditions: no dairy, no eggs, no flesh meat, no fish (except Palm Sunday), oil and wine on Sunday's only, shell fish is always allowed.  I've never entirely given up dairy, especially cheese for cooking (I do work in the dairy industry,  :grin: ) but this year I'm going to be stricter about that.  And, this personal effort applies to what I prepare for myself each day.  When I'm down visiting my 91 year old mother and she's made a tuna cassarole for a Friday Lenten supper, I'm not going to tell her I can't eat it 'cuz it has fish and dairy.  My parish's Friday Stations of the Cross during Lent are followed by a soup supper, which will include pleanty of cream, cheese, and fish stocks, and I take my repast there also.

For resources, I might suggest stopping by the office of a local Eastern Catholic or Orthodox parish.  They will likely have recipe sheets, or even cook books to sell, that fullfill the Eastern fasting requirements.  When I first tired doing this type of meal preparation on my own my initial reaction was "ewwwwwwwwww, this is totally nasty"; filling and nutritious perhaps, but defiently not appealing to the palate.  However, when I've eaten lenten fare prepared by those who know what they were doing, I've found it to be quite palitable.  I mean, it's not like having prime rib (there IS suppose to be a penitential element to fasting, after all), but it can be quite satistying, when a good mix of herbs, spices, and main ingredients are skillfully blended to provide good flavor.

I will be back to the thread, but one favorite, which I just made this week in the crock pot:

One can (51 ounces ~ 3 lb. 3 oz) of chopped sea clams (Costco sells these in a twin pack)
One 16 oz. packgage of petite frozen peas (canned would work I suppose, I prefer the frozen)
One onion chopped finely
One small celery chopped (4 - 5 stalks)

Canned or frozen corn works as an additional ingredient also

One 12 - 16 ounce package of pasta

Combine everything except the pasta in a stock pot or crockpot and heat.  I include the juice from the canned clams, and also from any canned vegetables used.  Add additional water as needed to make a soup consistency.  I season with salt, pepper, garlic granuales, cumin, Worchestershire sauce, and bay leaves.  Cook until vegetables are tender.

Cook the pasta "al dente" and add to the soup mix with the vegetables are ready.

One could cook the dry pasta with the soup, but I typically make all my soups in a crock pot during the night while sleeping, or during the day while at work.  If one is not around to watch it the pasta will probable become over cooked and mushy (been there, done that).

If one prefered I think rice, quinoa, or potatos could be substituted for the pasta.

This dish is very tasty, in my opinion.  While not vegan because of the clams, it contains no oil, dairy, eggs, meat, or fish with bones.

I am interested in finding oil-free recipes as well, I am looking to do my fasting akin to the Eastern practice this year, and while it is easy to give up meats and fish and dairy. 
Quinoa is a great replacement of meat and carbs. It's a grain that is a complete protein, complex carbohydrate, good amount of fiber, and gluten-free (breaks down very fast.) http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cere...ta/10352/2 <-- if you want to get the details.
(02-06-2013, 04:11 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote: [ -> ]Quinoa is a great replacement of meat and carbs. It's a grain that is a complete protein, complex carbohydrate, good amount of fiber, and gluten-free (breaks down very fast.) http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cere...ta/10352/2 <-- if you want to get the details.

It's also a great penance! 
(02-07-2013, 01:58 AM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-06-2013, 04:11 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote: [ -> ]Quinoa is a great replacement of meat and carbs. It's a grain that is a complete protein, complex carbohydrate, good amount of fiber, and gluten-free (breaks down very fast.) http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cere...ta/10352/2 <-- if you want to get the details.

With this I must respecfully disagree.  I much prefer it over rice.
(02-07-2013, 02:44 AM)moneil Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2013, 01:58 AM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]

With this I must respectfully disagree.  I much prefer it over rice.

So far 50% of people involved in the debate disagree with you.
Pages: 1 2 3