FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Ireland finally says sorry to the 10,000 'Magdalene Sister slaves'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z2K3QESVxf

Women who had their childhoods ‘stolen away’, locked up in Catholic-run workhouses received a qualified apology from the Irish government yesterday.

Over a period of 70 years, an estimated 10,000 were sent to the ‘Magdalene laundries’ to carry out unpaid manual labour under the supervision of nuns.

Some were sent because they were the children of unmarried mothers, others for crimes as minor as not paying a train ticket.
Pray Pray Pray
This news story is so slanted and bias that it is outragous.

Read the report yourself

http://www.idcmagdalen.ie/

It finds no sexual or physical abuse and reveals that a large number of admissions were rvoluntary and repeated.

Obviously many girls didn't want to go there, and so have resentful memories, but the facts show it was a reformatory, where they lived the life of a cloistered nun.

The supposed 'inhumane' treatment was simply living the life of a pre Vatican II nun.

The real issue here is that modern society views the trangressions for which the girls were sent there as no sins at all and so they think this treatment was unjust.

Add to this a hatred against the Church and the modern mentalities inability to understand religious life and you have this total media mess.

The media's hatred and bias against the Church is so obvious here it is sickening.

(02-08-2013, 11:33 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]Obviously many girls didn't want to go there, and so have resentful memories, but the facts show it was a reformatory, where they lived the life of a cloistered nun.

The supposed 'inhumane' treatment was simply living the life of a pre Vatican II nun.

Yeah, it kind of reminds me of a story in the Italian press a while back about a felon who was sent to live with a community of Capuchins as part of a rehab program instead of prison. The poor man couldn't handle the Franciscan life of discipline and penance and escaped, demanding to go back to prison rather than live the mendicant life. And yet the Friars all seemed very joyful and at peace.

Poor modern man with his hatred of discipline and order!!!  Crazy!
(02-08-2013, 12:02 PM)Servus Immaculatae Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-08-2013, 11:33 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]Obviously many girls didn't want to go there, and so have resentful memories, but the facts show it was a reformatory, where they lived the life of a cloistered nun.

Yeah, it kind of reminds me of a story in the Italian press a while back about a felon who was sent to live with a community of Capuchins as part of a rehab program instead of prison. The poor man couldn't handle the Franciscan life of discipline and penance and escaped, demanding to go back to prison rather than live the mendicant life. And yet the Friars all seemed very joyful and at peace.

Poor modern man with his hatred of discipline and order!!!  Crazy!

Makes you wonder what Italian prisons are like...
(02-08-2013, 05:47 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]Makes you wonder what Italian prisons are like...

I imagine a lovely Italian grandmother serves wine, ciabatta, insalata, spaghetti alla carbonara, gianduiotto, and grattachecca, while a string sextet performs some Vivaldi softly in the background...
If that's true, perhaps I could make it my life's ambition to go to an Italian prison.
Unpaid manual labor, huh?

Yeah, kids pull that a lot, I think. Give them a bill for the rent. Or room and board, if you're fancy like that.
Edited to change my mind.

Discretion is the better part of Fisheaters.