FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Magdelen Laundries - The Media Can't be Trusted to Report Truth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have all probably read the horror stories of the Magdelen Landries in Ireland in the 20th Century.

So much has been written  and a movie made that the Irish government finally ordered a commission to investigate.

The report is finally in:
http://www.idcmagdalen.ie/

It is an exhaustive study of the 10 landuries that operated from 1922 into the 90's.

The media is now hammering the Church and the state saying they colluded in oppressing vulnerable women.

BUT here is the bizzare nature of this whole issue

If you actually read the report, you see that it contradicts the allegations, yet the media is reporting that it confirms these.

How on earth can anyone trust the media to report anything related to the Church, when they so clearly have an axe to grind against Her.
On the issue of sexual abuse- no evidence
profiting by their labour - they actually ran continual deficit

The picture emerging is simply that congregatons of nuns were asked to take over the laundries that were started as individual acts of charity for women in prostitution or at-risk for being exploited in this way.
They took them over and the state, families and other social services organizations sent their unwanted girls there to live.

The life was simply an extension of the religious life of the nuns, Mass, work, prayer, lunch, rest, work, prayer, recreation and sleep.

Of course the "survivors" have issues because obviously they were young and didn't want to be there, but for Irish society to hammer the Church for providing what was one of the few social services available to at risk girls is an insult to the life of the nuns and to justice.

This really sickens me.

Read the report for yourself and see how even the truth can't change media and public prejudice.

[quote='winoblue1' pid='1140463' dateline='1360252413']
We have all probably read the horror stories of the Magdelen Landries in Ireland in the 20th Century.

So much has been written  and a movie made that the Irish government finally ordered a commission to investigate.

The report is finally in:

It is an exhaustive study of the 10 landuries that operated from 1922 into the 90's.

The media is now hammering the Church and the state saying the colluded in oppressing vulnerable women.

BUT here is the bizzare nature of this whole issue

If you actually read the report, you see that it contradicts the allegations, yet the media is reporting that it confirms these.

How on earth can anyone trust the media to report anything related to the Church, when they so clearly have an axe to grind against Her.
On the issue of sexual abuse- no evidence
profiting by their labour - they actually ran continual deficit

The picture emerging is simply that congregatons of nuns were asked to take over the laundries that were started as individual acts of charity for women in prostitution or at risk for being exploited in this way.
They took them over and the state, families and other social services organizations sent their unwanted girls there to live.

The life was simply an extension of the religious life of the nuns, Mass, work, prayer, lunch, rest, work, prayer, recreation and sleep.

Of course the "survivors" have issues because obviously they were young and didn't want to be there, but for Irish society to hammer the Church for providing what was one of the few social services available to at risk girls is an insult to the life of the nuns and to justice.

This really sickens me.

Read the report for yourself and see how even the truth can't change media and public prejudice.

[/quote
_-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you VERY much for posting this. It is the same story told to me by my husband's Grandmother. Her maiden name was Margaret (Maggie) O'Grady & while she never lived in one of the Laundries, she lived in Ireland all  of her life. She was furious during the time when the nuns there were first accused of abuse. On our last trip to see her, I asked if  I could see one of the laundries, but there were only one or two left & they were quite a distance from her home.  She told me that everyone knew of the them as a type of orphanage & half-way house, with "guests" who ran the gamut  from orphans to young, pregnant girls whose families sent them there to have their babies, to prostitutes, to felons, but that they were treated humanely.  As the report said, 61% were allowed to leave within a year of entering the laundries
Typical anti catholic propoganda.
Ireland is a poorer nation now that they dont have those nuns today!
Something was posted here the other day about Ireland issuing an official apology for this.  At the time I suspected something was up, but didn't take the time to track it down.  Thanks much for confirming my suspicions.
The government hasn't given an official apology yet. But it will come soon due to media pressure.

The media used the Taoiseach's (Prime Minister's) failure to give an official apology as a way of distracting attention from the report's actual findings, which run somewhat counter to the hysterical narrative of that has become received wisdom here.

A relative of mine was sent to a magdalen asylum when she got pregnant as a teenager. I've never asked her about it, but she's isn't a Catholic now.

They were tough places. But Ireland was a tough place.