FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Pope resignation thread minus derailments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
So, in this thread, lets talk about who the contenders are and how orthodox they are. Also, any thoughts on the events of today in general.
Thank you for this, that other thread was embarrassing, especially for a Catholic forum.  Anyway, I have a tendency to think the next Pope will be an Italian, only because they've still got the largest voting bloc and it's been a long time since they've held the office.  I also am guessing he will be more liberal than Pope Benedict, much to the dismay of all of us.  Then again, I am often a half-glass-empty kinda guy.
Why won't Walty condemn Ggreg's comments?
I'd say either Cardinal Angelo Scola or Cardinal Marc Ouellet are probable; maybe Cardinal Peter Turkson, Cardinal Burke as a longshot.
I say an Italian as well, while the Papacy is a "global" office these days, he is still the bishop of Rome, and I think an Italian is needed to focus the energy on revitalizing Italy.     
Cardinal Scola is the one in Milan, correct? How traditional is he?

Even though the Pope is allowed to resign, I think that it is odd that he is. Like commented on before, if he had only a short time to live, then why resign? The other thing I am wondering about, is if he has Alzheimers. I could see him retiring early so as not to discredit his past works.
(02-11-2013, 09:11 PM)verenaerin Wrote: [ -> ]Cardinal Scola is the one in Milan, correct? How traditional is he?

Even though the Pope is allowed to resign, I think that it is odd that he is. Like commented on before, if he had only a short time to live, then why resign? The other thing I am wondering about, is if he has Alzheimers. I could see him retiring early so as not to discredit his past works.
One good thing about him resigning while he is still alive is that he may be able to have some influence on who is elected as the next Pope. I understand that Pope Benedict cannot vote on the matter, but that does not remove him from the sphere of influence entirely. Hopefully we will get another Pope who continues the reform of the reform.
(02-11-2013, 09:11 PM)verenaerin Wrote: [ -> ]Cardinal Scola is the one in Milan, correct? How traditional is he?

According to NPR the Holy Father's doctor said he has no particular disease but is just old and tired.
yep, Cdl. Scola is in Milan.  He was previously Patriarch of Venice, which could help his odds with recent history favoring former Patriarchs of Venice.  He seems to be very close in line with B16 in thought.  Though really I don't know much about him.
Peter thr Roman.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12