FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 12 Cardinal-electors have publicly said the TLM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
per Rorate Caeli (http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/02...-mass.html):
Quote:The next pope and the Latin Mass

Out of the 118 cardinal electors (cardinals under 80), 12 of these men have offered the traditional Latin Mass following the introduction of the novus ordo.  This ranges from Cardinal Arinze offering one Low Mass to Cardinal Burke offering more traditional Latin Masses than we can even keep track of.  Several other cardinals have assisted in some way at traditional Latin Masses without publicly offering one themselves, and several cardinals over 80 have offered traditional Latin Masses.

The following is our list (after much research) of the 12 cardinal electors who have offered at least one public traditional Latin Mass as a cardinal, bishop or priest in the past four decades:

Francis Cardinal Arinze
Raymond Cardinal Burke

Carlo Cardinal Caffarra
Velasio Cardinal De Paolis
John Cardinal Tong Hon
Juan Cardinal Sandoval Íñiguez
Antonio Cardinal Cañizares Llovera
George Cardinal Pell
Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith
Jean-Pierre Cardinal Ricard
Franc Cardinal Rodé
André Cardinal Vingt-Trois

Pope Benedict XVI, as Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, was in this category during the 2005 conclave.  Perhaps Benedict XVII, or even Pius XIII, is one of the above 12 to continue the liturgical restoration.
Hard to imagine that Cardinal Pell is on that list, but if it was so, then it happened.
I hope, but won't be holding my breath.
(02-12-2013, 04:42 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to imagine that Cardinal Pell is on that list, but if it was so, then it happened.

Why so?  As far as Cardinal's go these days, Card. Pell isn't terrible liturgically.  He is far too antipathic towards liturgical practices in his Archdiocese, but personally, his liturgies aren't terrible, as far as NO Mass' go.

-Steve
(02-12-2013, 04:49 PM)Stevo Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2013, 04:42 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to imagine that Cardinal Pell is on that list, but if it was so, then it happened.

Why so?  As far as Cardinal's go these days, Card. Pell isn't terrible liturgically.  He is far too antipathic towards liturgical practices in his Archdiocese, but personally, his liturgies aren't terrible, as far as NO Mass' go.

-Steve

Even if Cardinal Pell offered up a TLM in public he still made a fool of himself in his debate with Richard Dawkins. As far as I'm concerned that disqualifies him in my book.
(02-12-2013, 04:53 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]

-Steve

Even if Cardinal Pell offered up a TLM in public he still made a fool of himself in his debate with Richard Dawkins. As far as I'm concerned that disqualifies him in my book.

If stupid statements disqualified one from the Papacy we would be pretty short on candidates !  Either way, it's  a moot point - the next Pope won't be from Australia, the US, Ireland or Great Britain.  There is just too much chance that some kind of skeleton will fall out of his closet in the future.

-Steve
(02-12-2013, 04:53 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]

-Steve

Maybe, it is just liturgically stereotyping.  That debate with Dawkins was humiliating. 
Didn't Pell just say that Genesis employs mythic language or something like that? That doesn't really seem like that big of a deal.
It is surprising that the Siri Cardinals Scola, Piacenza and Bagnasco are not on this list.
Francis Cardinal Arinze is not eligible to participate or vote in this conclave cause he turned 80 on Nov. 1, 2012.
Pages: 1 2 3