FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: To resign is to abandon the Cross
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Pick up your cross and follow me.  What if Jesus carryng the cross to calvary saw the futility of it all as He knew many would be lost anyway and gave up 3/4s of the way?  The papacy is nothing but The Cross.  The pope doesn't come down from the cross and says "I give up."  Jesus didn't, so must the pope do the same.  If he can no longer go on with his physical duties he still must remain office and delegate others to do it.  Or can we say he had a talk with Jesus who told him " no way!" And sent a thunderbolt.  You were given a job, go finish it!
That's not a very good analogy.  If Jesus gave up there would be no one who could replace him.  But someone will replace Benedict XVI and take up the cross of the papacy.
The Remnant has an interesting thought on all of this:

Have the Wolves Won? Or Is the Shepherd Trying to Outsmart the Wolf Pack?

"And now the whole world is confronted with a question that may never be answered, even by history itself: Is Pope Benedict resigning because the wolves all around him have achieved their diabolical objective, or has he found a way of circumventing their evil designs by removing himself from their gullets? We believe it to be the latter."
The papacy is a cross.  Not the Cross.  And it may indeed be God's Will that His Holiness as carried this cross for as long as God intended.  The Pope can resign his bishopric.  He always has been able to.  And indeed a case can be made that under certain circumstances he is obligated to do so.

He hasn't abandoned the Cross.  He's carried this cross for as long as he's been delegated to do so.  Now he moves onto a new one and another picks up where he left off.
Quo vadis, Domine?  Peter asked meeting the Lord as he was leaving Rome.  Our Lord answered, "To die on the cross."  We all know what happend.  The papacy is a heavy cross.  Peter almost gave up, but didn't.
Are you suggesting a Pope loses his office by such an action?
(02-13-2013, 10:21 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]That's not a very good analogy.  If Jesus gave up there would be no one who could replace him.  But someone will replace Benedict XVI and take up the cross of the papacy.

Smile
(02-13-2013, 11:16 PM)DeoGratias72 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2013, 10:21 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]That's not a very good analogy.  If Jesus gave up there would be no one who could replace him.  But someone will replace Benedict XVI and take up the cross of the papacy.

Smile

+1 Smile
What should Pope Benedict XVI do, let himself be wheeled around as an empty husk while his subordinates, many of whom don't seem to like him very much, and make a bunch of questionable decisions in his name? I think HH saw what happened with JPII and does not relish a repeat of that. Especially given the fragile condition of the Church these days.

If HH can be taken at his word, and I say that he can, then to remain in the office might even approach the moral error of vanity.
(02-14-2013, 01:08 AM)Adeodatus01 Wrote: [ -> ]What should Pope Benedict XVI do, let himself be wheeled around as an empty husk while his subordinates, many of whom don't seem to like him very much, and make a bunch of questionable decisions in his name? I think HH saw what happened with JPII and does not relish a repeat of that. Especially given the fragile condition of the Church these days.

If HH can be taken at his word, and I say that he can, then to remain in the office might even approach the moral error of vanity.

Thank you, Adeodatus! Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4