FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: JFK, abortion, and the usual suspects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I found this blog entry fascinating

http://www.thecatholicthing.org/columns/...hurch.html

in part:

Quote: Publicly, the Kennedys patronized the Church, but privately they helped create a shadow church of religious laymen and clergy who helped them rationalize their own version of Catholicism.

The Catholic pro-abortion movement, for instance, was hatched at the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port. In the summer of 1964, Bobby and Ted Kennedy met at the Cape with some leading dissident priests – Robert Drinan, Richard McCormick, Joseph Fuchs, and Charles Curran – to figure out how Catholic politicians could pander to the growing abortion movement without upsetting their Catholic constituencies.

According to one witness, the theologians “concurred on certain basics. . .that a Catholic politician could in good conscience vote in favor of abortion.” The action plan developed that week in Hyannis Port, in sociologist Anne Hendershott’s judgment, contributed to effectively neutralizing the Catholic laity and “helped build the foundation for the [Democratic] party’s reincarnation as the party of abortion.”

I went ahead and ordered the biography of Joe Kennedy being advertised in the story, should be a good read.

I have one priest friend who mentions often how glad he is that JFK "went to confession in Dallas the night before he was shot" but I own the Mansfield "Death of a President" which is basically a minute-by-minute chronology of JFK's last hours which mentions nothing about it. 

It seems in retrospect that the only real opportunity to keep Catholic politicians in the USA in the Church was lost when the Church failed to excommunicate JFK during the campaign. 

Thoughts?
Yep, the Church needs to start excommunicating Catholic politicians for the positions their relatives take after they're dead.
More Teddy took time affer the Roe v Wade to come over to the issue. Oh and JFK was way dead before those priests met at Hyannis Port to sway the Kennedys. This is the crap which infuriates me.
We have gajillions of real things to swing at, but instead some with an axe to grind, paints a picture, to include their villian. This crooked nail has been hammered straight atleast three times. I was never a fan of the Kennedys. I was a Republican back then as most of the Northern Italians which came to Chicago after the Civil War,unlike the rest of the Catholics. The Kennedys owned the worlds largest building, the Merchandise Mart, about two blocks from where I was baptized. There was always and still are Kennedys which live here.

tim
Quote:Oh and JFK was way dead before those priests met at Hyannis Port to sway the Kennedys. This is the crap which infuriates me.

Um...I don't understand.  Why does it infuriate you that a biographer of Joe Kennedy and his family states that the event happened at the time it apparently did happen?  What exactly are you reading into this?

As far as I can tell, whatever Kennedy son was going to be pushed into office was going to be the standard-bearer of the family's war against the hierarchy.  Ended up being three of them. 

I think it follows that a lot of bad has come from the position John first articulated, of private religion not affecting public office.

(02-15-2013, 04:34 PM)Burdensome1 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Oh and JFK was way dead before those priests met at Hyannis Port to sway the Kennedys. This is the crap which infuriates me.

Um...I don't understand.  Why does it infuriate you that a biographer of Joe Kennedy and his family states that the event happened at the time it apparently did happen?  What exactly are you reading into this?

As far as I can tell, whatever Kennedy son was going to be pushed into office was going to be the standard-bearer of the family's war against the hierarchy.  Ended up being three of them. 

I think it follows that a lot of bad has come from the position John first articulated, of private religion not affecting public office.

JFK was killed Nov. 22, 1963. He was not present at those meetings in 1964. So he had nothing to do with that. As late as 1971 Teddy was still pro-life, it's on the record. So a better interpretation is those renegade theologians tried to make the Kennedys come over to the abortion issue. They suceeded when Roe v. Wade was adopted by the Democrats, and their reasoning became a cover for Catholic Politicians. I can't remember the RFK run for NY, so I'll not comment.

tim
Quote:The action plan developed that week in Hyannis Port, in sociologist Anne Hendershott’s judgment, contributed to effectively neutralizing the Catholic laity and “helped build the foundation for the [Democratic] party’s reincarnation as the party of abortion.”

Wow. So all the evils that have befallen the Catholic Church in the last 40 years was the fault of the Kennedys? Not Vatican II, modernism, relativism, communism, or materialism?

Good to know.
(02-15-2013, 05:21 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2013, 04:34 PM)Burdensome1 Wrote: [ -> ]

JFK was killed Nov. 22, 1963. He was not present at those meetings in 1964. So he had nothing to do with that. As late as 1971 Teddy was still pro-life, it's on the record. So a better interpretation is those renegade theologians tried to make the Kennedys come over to the abortion issue. They suceeded when Roe v. Wade was adopted by the Democrats, and their reasoning became a cover for Catholic Politicians. I can't remember the RFK run for NY, so I'll not comment.

tim

I never cared much for Joe Kennedy. He was an unfaithful husband & had a shipload of whiskey waiting in the harbor, the day that prohibition ended. However, to blame his sons for his skewed idea of Catholicism is ridiculous.

Let's see, our Pope announced his retirement this week.
It is the beginning of lent.
This may be rumor, but I heard that the Church has said "Last Chance" to the SSPX.
A conclave will soon be in place to elect the next Pope.

Surely, there is something more timely to debate than the Kennedys,

(02-15-2013, 02:01 PM)Burdensome1 Wrote: [ -> ]I found this blog entry fascinating

http://www.thecatholicthing.org/columns/...hurch.html

in part:

Quote: Publicly, the Kennedys patronized the Church, but privately they helped create a shadow church of religious laymen and clergy who helped them rationalize their own version of Catholicism.

The Catholic pro-abortion movement, for instance, was hatched at the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port. In the summer of 1964, Bobby and Ted Kennedy met at the Cape with some leading dissident priests – Robert Drinan, Richard McCormick, Joseph Fuchs, and Charles Curran – to figure out how Catholic politicians could pander to the growing abortion movement without upsetting their Catholic constituencies.

According to one witness, the theologians “concurred on certain basics. . .that a Catholic politician could in good conscience vote in favor of abortion.” The action plan developed that week in Hyannis Port, in sociologist Anne Hendershott’s judgment, contributed to effectively neutralizing the Catholic laity and “helped build the foundation for the [Democratic] party’s reincarnation as the party of abortion.”

I went ahead and ordered the biography of Joe Kennedy being advertised in the story, should be a good read.

I have one priest friend who mentions often how glad he is that JFK "went to confession in Dallas the night before he was shot" but I own the Mansfield "Death of a President" which is basically a minute-by-minute chronology of JFK's last hours which mentions nothing about it. 

It seems in retrospect that the only real opportunity to keep Catholic politicians in the USA in the Church was lost when the Church failed to excommunicate JFK during the campaign. 

Thoughts?
Quote:Surely, there is something more timely to debate than the Kennedys,

You/re right, I should never have bound and gagged you and forced you into this thread.  Mea culpa.

;-)

On the internet since the mid 90's, still no idea why people write this post, complaining about what other people are talking about.  No clue.  It's still just about the silliest thing you could post IMO.

Quote:JFK was killed Nov. 22, 1963. He was not present at those meetings in 1964. So he had nothing to do with that. As late as 1971 Teddy was still pro-life, it's on the record. So a better interpretation is those renegade theologians tried to make the Kennedys come over to the abortion issue. They suceeded when Roe v. Wade was adopted by the Democrats, and their reasoning became a cover for Catholic Politicians. I can't remember the RFK run for NY, so I'll not comment.

Born in '71 to republican parents in the South, I will never be able to understand the Catholic romance with the Kennedys.  However, even if I don't understand it, I can see how it clouds people's minds.  These dissident priests approached whom exactly?  The one Catholic political family expressly and manifestly dedicated to winning votes by swearing that they would not let Catholic teaching get in the way of the will of the people.  And which of the sons first publicly articulated this plan?  John, in '60. 

I suspect, very strongly, that had John lived, he'd have been just as big a DB as the brother who lived turned out to be.  The idea that a living JFK would have somehow bucked his entire party on abortion after paving the way with his denial of the primacy of the informed conscience in Catholic politics AND being a lout, liar, adulterer and abuser of women...if you believe that I'd like to discuss the sale of a bridge I own.

Nah.  This family was evil.  Cafeteria Catholics who made that lifestyle not only acceptable but sophisticated and chic.  I'm so glad I didn't live through Camelot and have my good sense clouded by it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6