FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is that a Society priest in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Is it just me, or is anyone else happy to have the SSPX still around just in case God's just wrath includes the election of some arch modernist to the See of Rome?

Pope Paul VII will see me jump back into the SSPX foxhole waiting out the Apocalypse....
To be clear...I can see this happening as a just punishment for abdicating the papacy and refusing the cup chosen for him by Our Lord.  Of course, I can only speculate as to whether it was the "right" decision, but The Lord KNOWS.  If it was the wrong move, His wrath is coming.

Personally, I think it was a very bad move.  It has devalued the papacy into just another job without any special sacred character. 
(02-16-2013, 10:02 AM)Allan Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me, or is anyone else happy to have the SSPX still around just in case God's just wrath includes the election of some arch modernist to the See of Rome?

Pope Paul VII will see me jump back into the SSPX foxhole waiting out the Apocalypse....
Yes! It is not just you.
About the only scenario I can see that could maybe justify an abdication is one where some diabolical cadre of Bishops was blackmailing the Pope with some skeleton in his closet that, if revealed, would scandalize the faithful to an incredible degree.  The two main option being unpalatable (to wit, cave and do their bidding or refuse and have the papacy be scandalized by the revelation), the Holy Father chose the "third way" and toppled his king on the board, exposing the blackmail to a select few Cardinal electors who will steer the election to a candidate able to disempower the evil faction and take it on for once and for all.

Either that or he was just sick like he said.  Whatever. 
It is your life, but there seems to be something decidedly un-Catholic about your stated "plan". I always assume SSPX people are there on principle, because of issues that they believe arose when Mons. Lefebvre was alive and because they believe these same conditions still exist. I hope I am right about them, and that they are not just pope-hopping based on whether or not they happen to like the choice of popes. I do not at all like the sound of pope-hopping.

I say go to the SSPX if you must, and stay there; or don't go. But don't hop around based on pope-choices.

There are many examples in history of perfect scoundrels who did 180 turns and became excellent bishops, kings, etc. once raised to the office. There is a grace that the pope will get, whoever he is, to overcome whatever personal failings he has and maintain the ship of the Church afloat in stormy waters. I have my own preferences, who I am sure have zero chance of getting chosen (the typical Ranjith, Burke, etc.). But whoever it is, give him the obedience due to him as Vicar of Christ on earth. The SSPX has a decidedly complex but very real position on this obedience. I say that if, upon reflection, today, without knowing who the next pope will be, you see the world they way they do, then go to the SSPX now, today. I doubt very much the SSPX would find your attitude of jumping around based on papal preferences impressive. I am nto fan of Pope Paul VI.
Ummmm....you do know that the SSPX affirms that the pope is the pope, right?  To shelter under them is to hide with the faith from its enemies.  The Society is a reaction to an intolerable situation which, by grace, will be temporary only.  It is a defensive measure to protect we who are to weak to sustain faith in an age of unchecked modernism.

Why would God punish the entire Church because he didn't like the actions of Benedict XVI?  Huh?

I understand the idea that God gives us the leaders we deserve.  In that sense, we may very well deserve an arch-modernist.  But not because God is getting payback for Benedict abdicating.
(02-16-2013, 11:39 AM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Why would God punish the entire Church because he didn't like the actions of Benedict XVI?  Huh?

Wouldn't be the first time God punished His flock for the actions of the leader, remember David.
We agree, Allan. That is why I do not think a reason to adhere or not to the SSPX should depend on who gets elected. We have the same problems today that we will have the day after the election. If you feel the need for shelter, etc. a la SSPX, you should be there already.
(02-16-2013, 11:55 AM)TS Aquinas Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-16-2013, 11:39 AM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Why would God punish the entire Church because he didn't like the actions of Benedict XVI?  Huh?

Wouldn't be the first time God punished His flock for the actions of the leader, remember David.

Thank you

People today have lost a sense of 'people'

God punishes people as well as individuals.
Pages: 1 2 3 4