FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Outspoken Cardinals as conclave approaches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Cardinal Kasper of Germany proposed a new office of "non-ordained deaconess" for women within the Church with "pastoral, charitable, catechetical, and liturgical" responsibilities and powers. This was proposed at the recent conference of German bishops. It appears to be an attempt to appease the calls from more stridently liberal German bishops, priests, and laity for women priests. German Cardinal Reinhard Marx notably discussed a few months ago the possibilities for ordaining women in the near future.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellsch...84622.html 

Cardinal Keith O'Brien today called for priests to be allowed to marry but not for modification on Church dogmas, erroneously stating that "there was a time when priests got married," perhaps attributable to BBC error in expressing the fact that in the first millennium married men could be ordained to the priesthood in the western Church. His comment follows more radical critiques from English bishops Kieran Conry and Thomas Burns in recent days. The latter expressed his opinion that "Conservatism has had its day. It doesn’t work." and  “It’s time to reopen the doors and windows for a new blowing of the Spirit, a freedom of speech to search for ways ahead that will address key issues like remarriage after divorce; re-examining ethical issues; developing a simpler and humbler Church stripped of status and elitism.”

Cardinal Murphy O’Connor made subtler criticism of the lack of collegiality under Benedict XVI: “Many people today – and I include myself in this – feel that there should be a richer sense of collegiality in the Church. Not so much in making new doctrine. But we need to face the questions that lay people seriously ask. If we are to answer them effectively, the Pope needs to build a bridge with the bishops. The Pope has to be a listener. In respect of collegiality, the legacy of Vatican II has not been as fully implemented as I would have liked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21552628
http://protectthepope.com/?p=6812

All of this in the last week or sooner, and probably to increase in tempo and frequency as the conclave approaches. Will they be able to back down from these high expectations and statements if they are disappointed at the end of the conclave?
I hope these three are in the minority. Kasper wants to op[en a door that needs to stay locked. O'Brien seems to be less informed than the average trad forum member.  As far as O'Conner, collegiality is one of the problems form the get go.
Kasper isn't the only Modernist Cardinal to open their mouth. The Modernists feel empowered, and it frightens me a little as to why. Do they know something we do not? Have we witnessed a coup? Pray friends. Pray alot!
Yes it really seems that the Cardinals are coming out of the woodwork and saying what they really think.
I wonder if the world will be able to handle a truly Catholic (ie Traditional) pope.
Probably not---
It is interesting because all this boils down to how the Church should relate to the modern world --- but the reality is that the popes have already told us that the Church cannot adapt itself to the modern world, but the world has to adapt itself to the Church.
If they get another liberal pope of the Paul VI style, let's face it, a formal schism will come about, leaving traditionalists marginalized and abandoned.
All is at stake now. They are no fools. This is kill or be killed time. Time for us to pray and fast, as Pheo said on another thread.
Cardinals that have just been eliminated from any chance at the Papal Chair.  They smell blood, they're playing their cards too early.
(02-22-2013, 03:49 PM)Cordobes Wrote: [ -> ]Cardinal Kasper of Germany proposed a new office of "non-ordained deaconess" for women within the Church with "pastoral, charitable, catechetical, and liturgical" responsibilities and powers. This was proposed at the recent conference of German bishops. It appears to be an attempt to appease the calls from more stridently liberal German bishops, priests, and laity for women priests. German Cardinal Reinhard Marx notably discussed a few months ago the possibilities for ordaining women in the near future.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellsch...84622.html 

Cardinal Keith O'Brien today called for priests to be allowed to marry but not for modification on Church dogmas, erroneously stating that "there was a time when priests got married," perhaps attributable to BBC error in expressing the fact that in the first millennium married men could be ordained to the priesthood in the western Church. His comment follows more radical critiques from English bishops Kieran Conry and Thomas Burns in recent days. The latter expressed his opinion that "Conservatism has had its day. It doesn’t work." and  “It’s time to reopen the doors and windows for a new blowing of the Spirit, a freedom of speech to search for ways ahead that will address key issues like remarriage after divorce; re-examining ethical issues; developing a simpler and humbler Church stripped of status and elitism.”

Cardinal Murphy O’Connor made subtler criticism of the lack of collegiality under Benedict XVI: “Many people today – and I include myself in this – feel that there should be a richer sense of collegiality in the Church. Not so much in making new doctrine. But we need to face the questions that lay people seriously ask. If we are to answer them effectively, the Pope needs to build a bridge with the bishops. The Pope has to be a listener. In respect of collegiality, the legacy of Vatican II has not been as fully implemented as I would have liked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21552628
http://protectthepope.com/?p=6812

All of this in the last week or sooner, and probably to increase in tempo and frequency as the conclave approaches. Will they be able to back down from these high expectations and statements if they are disappointed at the end of the conclave?
Kyrie eleison.
I'm beginning to see that Pope Benedict is timing his abdication so that the three cardinals' 300-page report has maximum effect on the election of his successor.  Deo gratias.
EXACTLY, Impy. Exactly. He knew, and he figured that it would be better to get the report out now, and get a new pope while the iron is hot. Imagine if he had not abdicated, and the report took its time, and then he died, and then the report disappeared. . . .
(02-22-2013, 07:37 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]I'm beginning to see that Pope Benedict is timing his abdication so that the three cardinals' 300-page report has maximum effect on the election of his successor.  Deo gratias.

By throwing light on everything that's been going on in the Vatican to the Cardinals as they're all gathered together... I think he's effectively knee-capped the lot of them.  I feel he's forcing their hand and I think they know it. Grin
Pages: 1 2