FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Benedict XVI Decides to Keep Vatileaks Report Secret
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Now this news is defiantly a game changer for Conclave.

Benedict XVI decides to keep Vatileaks report secret, available only to next Pope

FR. FEDERICO LOMBARDI
Vatican Spokesperson
“The Holy Father has decided that the contents of this report which are known only by His Holiness, will remain at the disposition of the new pontiff.”

(Rome Reports)
However, the Holy Father has authorized the three cardinals to make their findings known to the cardinals when they meet ahead of the conclave.

Quote:The three cardinals, however, will be free to share information about the investigation with the full college of cardinals, Lombardi said.

http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/pop...clave-date

I guess the National Catholic Distorter, or National Schismatic Reporter, or whatever, is good for something!  Idea
I find this disturbing. Will the cardinals who gather to elect the new pope know the names and crimes of those in the report, or not? There is a HUGE difference between these two situations.

On rorate, one writer seemed to like the idea that a new pope can just come in and clean up immediately. But of course, this presupposes that the new pope is not one of the criminals or a member of the "superforce" to use a Malachian term. If the cardinals cannot distinguish sheep from wolf, what good will ti do to give the report to a wolf?? Would it not be better to give the report to them all, so that they can then decide among themselves who the best man will be for the clean up job?

I don't know, but I don't like the sounds of it. Still, the pope is clearly playing his last hand here somehow, and I know we do not have all the information. These events will be best evaluated in hindsight: the moment the new pope emerges in St. Peter's, we will know who won and who lost and we will finally be able to make a definitive evaluation of the papacy of Benedict XVI, because the way things are now, they have been deliberately brought to a head and a boil by the current pope, so the next pope is going to be a very clear choice, one way or another.

I should say that I am hopeful, because throughout his pontificate, Benedict XVI has seemed crippled by those who surround him, crippled and shut down at every smart move, and this current act of his, abdication and the investigation, seems geared toward acting out of their control.
Is their a pattern there ? Yes !  It seems HH Pope Benedict XVI, like his predecessor has to step away from the Vatican and Curia to say anything. They appear to have him hemmed in, and not releasing this to the public is just that. If he allows the three Cardinals to tell the Cardinals coming for the conclave, that's the end around.  This information must get to them before they vote or who knows what will happen. Whatever this report says it must get to the faithful and the jackals waiting to devour the Church. I can see no way around it. Confession is good for the soul.

tim
I refuse to get info from the NCD (Nat Catholic Distorter). The news that the info was going to be shared with the conclave was reported last week. It sounds like the latest decision is for the Pope to pass it just to the next Pope. I feel strongly both ways about this...
(02-25-2013, 12:14 PM)catquilt Wrote: [ -> ]I refuse to get info from the NCD (Nat Catholic Distorter). The news that the info was going to be shared with the conclave was reported last week. It sounds like the latest decision is for the Pope to pass it just to the next Pope. I feel strongly both ways about this...

Quote:The three cardinals, however, will be free to share information about the investigation with the full college of cardinals, Lombardi said.
Well, this shoots down my theory of what is going on.  Drat. 
(02-25-2013, 12:13 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]If he allows the three Cardinals to tell the Cardinals coming for the conclave, that's the end around.  This information must get to them before they vote or who knows what will happen.

tim

The trouble with that is it presumes good will on the part of most of the Cardinals.

You know, the same men who conspired to keep the abuse scandals secret for as long as possible, and the same ones who know damn well that it is about homosexuality, not pedophelia.

And, the same ones who are to varying degrees committed to the goodness of Vatican II, Spirit, "real council," or otherwise.

This is a coup d'etat for the named names. The only way many of these men will do anything productive is if everyone knows about it and they are forced to do something. Just like the abuse scandals.
(02-25-2013, 12:46 PM)MRose Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2013, 12:13 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]If he allows the three Cardinals to tell the Cardinals coming for the conclave, that's the end around.  This information must get to them before they vote or who knows what will happen.

tim

The trouble with that is it presumes good will on the part of most of the Cardinals.

You know, the same men who conspired to keep the abuse scandals secret for as long as possible, and the same ones who know damn well that it is about homosexuality, not pedophelia.

And, the same ones who are to varying degrees committed to the goodness of Vatican II, Spirit, "real council," or otherwise.

This is a coup d'etat for the named names. The only way many of these men will do anything productive is if everyone knows about it and they are forced to do something. Just like the abuse scandals.

I presumed the three Cardinals as authors knew who was who. So, if they are permitted to tell the others, it's the same as giving the report, no ?

tim
(02-25-2013, 01:40 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]I presumed the three Cardinals as authors knew who was who. So, if they are permitted to tell the others, it's the same as giving the report, no ?

Yes, it is.
Pages: 1 2 3