FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What about Cardinal Erdo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Although my preference would be for Cardinal Ranjith or Cardinal Burke, I don't think they are likely choices.  However, in regards to somewhat of a dark horse who appears to have a legitimate chance at being chosen, what about Cardinal Erdo, according to this piece from John Allen he appears to be a solid choice.  What do people know about him?  http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/pap...-be-pope-5
I only know what I read in that article -- which is quite good -- and what I found by using Google afterwards.  Something tells me he might be the one.  I really like the fact that he helped put the kabosh on that Peruvian university.
(02-25-2013, 03:18 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]I only know what I read in that article -- which is quite good -- and what I found by using Google afterwards.  Something tells me he might be the one.  I really like the fact that he helped put the kabosh on that Peruvian university.

The thing is.........that's being written by John Allen who isn't someone I'd trust at all.  Let me find something that isn't published in the NCR.
(02-25-2013, 03:26 PM)JoniCath Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2013, 03:18 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]I only know what I read in that article -- which is quite good -- and what I found by using Google afterwards.  Something tells me he might be the one.  I really like the fact that he helped put the kabosh on that Peruvian university.

The thing is.........that's being written by John Allen who isn't someone I'd trust at all.  Let me find something that isn't published in the NCR.

Here's an article that might help you.  It's about black-and-white thinking:  http://www.sideroad.com/Self_Help/black-...nking.html

[/quote]

[/quote]

Despite my disagreements with John Allen, it appears to me that he is just offering a pretty detailed look at the different possibilities and he will be offering a look at a cardinal a day, so by my calculations he will likely include a favorite or two of traditionalists (Ranjith, Bagnasco, Piacenza).  All of these pieces so far appear to be pretty balanced and informative on the history of the cardinals.  From this piece it appears to me that Cardinal Erdo is orthodox and may be willing to root out some of the corruption.  It does not touch on his views on liturgy, Vatican II, etc and that is what I would be interested in getting more information on. 
(02-25-2013, 04:45 PM)ProCommunioneFacior Wrote: [ -> ]It does not touch on his views on liturgy, Vatican II, etc and that is what I would be interested in getting more information on.  

He is does not appear either in Rorate's list of cardinals who have celebrated the Traditional Latin Mass or Acción Liturgica's list that includes those who have attended them. But, the year after he was appointed bishop of Budapest, he approved a monthly TLM in his diocese (this was before Summorum Pontificum). In 2009, he ordered a correction of the Hungarian translation of "pro multis".

So, on liturgy, he is no Ranjith, Burke, Schneider. . . or Ratzinger. But he looks good enough to not be unhappy if he is elected pope.
(02-25-2013, 05:42 PM)m.PR Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2013, 04:45 PM)ProCommunioneFacior Wrote: [ -> ]It does not touch on his views on liturgy, Vatican II, etc and that is what I would be interested in getting more information on.  

He is does not appear either in Rorate's list of cardinals who have celebrated the Traditional Latin Mass or Acción Liturgica's list that includes those who have attended them. But, the year after he was appointed bishop of Budapest, he approved a monthly TLM in his diocese (this was before Summorum Pontificum). In 2009, he ordered a correction of the Hungarian translation of "pro multis".

So, on liturgy, he is no Ranjith, Burke, Schneider. . . or Ratzinger. But he looks good enough to not be unhappy if he is elected pope.

Interestingly, Hungarian is the only modern European language into which Summorum Pontificum is translated on the Vatican site.
Bishop Schneider being an auxiliary bishop in Kazahstan an obscure place, why is he traveling the world promoting tradition? Why wasn't he given a bigger position?