FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Prie dieu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do u own one? Show us a pic!

I've been wanting one for a looooong time. (Among other wish list its like a OLF statue) Wish I had a woodworker relative or something.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/furni...tails.aspx
http://www.antiques.com/classified/14231...-Prie-Dieu
I could only look at the first link here at work  Eye-roll but I loved those. They're a little too fancy but I liked how the kneeling area is larger than modern prie dieu's that I've seen.
A carpenter friend (who is Protestant) made one for me as a gift. It's actually quite nice. I will have to take a picture and post when I get home.
A priestly-friend obtained one for me.  It cost me dearly though... I had to serve his Novus Ordo Ash Wednesday Mass. LOL Granted it was basically the 1965 Missal but it just wasn't the same... Sticking tongue out at you I'll post pics later.
I have an old one that comes from a small church nearby. Because many of them were badly damaged, they were all replaced with new ones. The person who made the new ones is a friend of mine. He got to take several of the old ones home, and I ended up with one of them. It is very plain, but I really like it. I often wonder at all the people that have prayed on it over nearly two centuries.

That said, I don't use it much.
My daughter's boyfriend works with wood. I may ask him if he could do something like this (not as fancy but at least the size).
The upright part on most prie dieus that I've used is too low by about six to eight inches.  I have to hunch over when I lean on it.  Perhaps this is God's way of telling me I shouldn't lean on it at all.  Still annoying though, especially since I'm not that tall.  I'm only 6 foot, so you'd think they'd build these things a little higher.  Why is ecclesiastical furniture built for the small of stature?  Perhaps they imagine only women will use them. 

As soon as I find one built for a normal human being I shall purchase it.  I don't imagine I'll find one, however.
One of the priests who uses our private chapel built us a couple.  He's no master craftsman, so they are simple, but they work well, and it's cool to have things built by priests.
(02-26-2013, 02:00 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]The upright part on most prie dieus that I've used is too low by about six to eight inches.  I have to hunch over when I lean on it.  Perhaps this is God's way of telling me I shouldn't lean on it at all.  Still annoying though, especially since I'm not that tall.  I'm only 6 foot, so you'd think they'd build these things a little higher.  Why is ecclesiastical furniture built for the small of stature?  Perhaps they imagine only women will use them. 

As soon as I find one built for a normal human being I shall purchase it.  I don't imagine I'll find one, however.

I'm 6 foot myself and face the same problem Doc, you're not alone.  My own prie-dieu doesn't "fit" me right.  The only one I've found that does is a rather large one before Our Lady's altar at a local Ordinary Form parish.  Yes, they still have Our Lady's altar! LOL
I have one my father found in an old Ukrainian Catholic Church.
He fixed it up and repainted it for me. It turned out very nice and it makes praying better, as you are in the perfect position, neither too comfortable nor too irritating.
It is quite fancy with spindles and knobs throughout as decorations.
If I can figure out how to post images on here I will do so here.
Pages: 1 2