FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: And now for something completely different.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's a little from the neo-con John Zmirak titled the Apocalypse Cow.

It starts like this;

Why do we crave the End? What sends shivers up our spines at the prophecy of St. Malachy that we’re running low on popes, the prospect of Mayan apocalypse, the threat of Three Days of Darkness, or the predicted crash of every computer in the world?  I’m not sure, but I think if we trawl through the “Send” box of disappointed prophecies we might just stumble upon an answer.

the rest is here;

http://www.aleteia.org/en/article/the-apocalypse-cow

Let's argue !

tim
There is a grain of truth to what he says about how it is really a lack of faith that leads many folks to chase after every apparition, vision or prophecy no matter how dubious.
Soon you all will be saying, with Pope John XXIII, that approved apparitions are from "prophets of doom".
Freud was on to something with the concept of "thanatos," or the death-wish. 

The end of the world would, we like to think, free us from the shackles of the treadmill. 

The galley scene in Ben Hur teaches otherwise.  "We keep you alive to serve this ship," the Roman admiral tells the slaves, "If this ship sinks, you sink with it.  So row well, and live."

It's just a fantasy.  The only exciting part about the end of the world will be a fleeting moment of fire or of  ice.  It's after the end of the world when the excitement really starts. 

Cheers!
We ought to find time to meditate on the Parousia every now and then as long as we don't get too carried away with doomsday prophecies. I would say it's healthy for a Christian to long for an end to his exile in this fallen world and hope for our Lord's swift return and the restoration of all things in Christ. We ought to love this world because God made it and put us in it even if the suffering and death we find ourselves in is not his fault but our own but we shouldn't love it so much that we lose sight of the fact that we are in a "vale of tears" and that the Kingdom we long for is "not of this world".
(02-28-2013, 03:26 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a little from the neo-con John Zmirak titled the Apocalypse Cow.

It starts like this;

Why do we crave the End? What sends shivers up our spines at the prophecy of St. Malachy that we’re running low on popes, the prospect of Mayan apocalypse, the threat of Three Days of Darkness, or the predicted crash of every computer in the world?  I’m not sure, but I think if we trawl through the “Send” box of disappointed prophecies we might just stumble upon an answer.

the rest is here;

Let's argue !

tim
Oh Tim sorry, i just can't stomach hiim today of all days.  Will speak to my Priest friend who once clocked  him though.  Grin
(02-28-2013, 03:26 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a little from the neo-con John Zmirak titled the Apocalypse Cow.

It starts like this;

the rest is here;

Let's argue !

tim

Bravo Tim!  You had the guts to post something I wanted to, but didn't!

I thought Zmirak's argument about conspiracy theory being founded on a lack of faith interesting.  I would, however, add something:  conspiracy theory is also based on pride. 

It is pride that pushes the conspiracy theorist to claim to know "what is really going on" when others accept a more conventional (dare I say, rational) explanation.  It is pride that tempts him to insult others as being "blind to the truth" that he (and sometimes he alone) has seen.  Most importantly, it is pride that makes him continue to see conspiracy under every bed and around every corner because without it, he would no longer be a "fighter for truth," but just some ordinary guy like the rest of us.

(02-28-2013, 04:35 PM)Don Quixote Wrote: [ -> ]Oh Tim sorry, i just can't stomach hiim today of all days.  Will speak to my Priest friend who once clocked  him though.   Grin

Are you saying that your Priest friend punched John Zmirak in the head DQ?
I find this article, for the most part, to be a discourse in "Move along people, nothing to see here" and " ignore the man behind the curtain". Our Lord gave us a small glimpse of the Signs to watch for. St. John recorded what He was given. Our Blessed Mother has given us distinct, dire, clear warnings of the impending disaster which awaits a Godless, disobiedient world. At this juncture in history, with all that is going on in the geopolitical theater added to the crisis in Holy Mother Church, if one does not feel that something devastating is on the horizon, they are simply not paying attention. Now do we develpoe a "bunker" mentality and hide? No. But we certainly need to be watchful, Pray harder, and make frequent Confession to be ready for "A thief in the night".
Mr. Zmirak apparently: (paraphrasing) "despise prophecies and don't prove all things"
vs
The Apostle: 1st Thessalonians 5:16-23 "Always rejoice. Pray without ceasing. In all things give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you all. Extinguish not the spirit. Despise not prophecies. But prove all things; hold fast that which is good.  From all appearance of evil refrain yourselves."

We seek for the End because we ought to seek for God Who is the Alpha and Omega, i.e. the Beginning and the End.
Pages: 1 2