FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 1973 TV Film "The Catholics" ("The Conflict")
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Have any of you seen the 1973 TV Film "The Catholics" ("The Conflict") shown in this youtube video?

If you've seen it, what are your opinions of this movie?
(03-02-2013, 05:06 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: [ -> ]Have any of you seen the 1973 TV Film "The Catholics" ("The Conflict") shown in this youtube video?

If you've seen it, what are your opinions of this movie?

I thought I'd seen every Catholic movie there was. The Song of Bernadette, a movie about the 3 children of Fatima, the Bells of St. Mary's, & on & on. However, I've not seen this one. If I had seen it in the 70's when it was made, it would have helped me so, I would have known that others felt like I did & I would have fought harder.

The movie made me cry. It reminded me of my husband's Grandmother whose maiden name was Margaret (Maggie) O'Grady. She was born in the "auld country" & came to the U.S. when she was just a girl. She had gone to daily Mass all of her life........until 1969. She went to the new Mass ONCE & never went to Mass again. She said nothing, she just wouldn't go. She still said her daily rosary & tried to teach her children (one of whom was my husband's dad, of course) the old faith, but it didn't "take".

Thank you for showing us this.
(03-02-2013, 06:39 PM)JoniCath Wrote: [ -> ]I thought I'd seen every Catholic movie there was. The Song of Bernadette, a movie about the 3 children of Fatima, the Bells of St. Mary's, & on & on. However, I've not seen this one. If I had seen it in the 70's when it was made, it would have helped me so, I would have known that others felt like I did & I would have fought harder.

The movie made me cry. It reminded me of my husband's Grandmother whose maiden name was Margaret (Maggie) O'Grady. She was born in the "auld country" & came to the U.S. when she was just a girl. She had gone to daily Mass all of her life........until 1969. She went to the new Mass ONCE & never went to Mass again. She said nothing, she just wouldn't go. She still said her daily rosary & tried to teach her children (one of whom was my husband's dad, of course) the old faith, but it didn't "take".

I'm thinking that's what happened to my mother too, saw the "new" Mass and never went back. I fell away from the faith and she died before I came back so I didn't think to talk to her about it. I remember her being upset about the "Protestant bit" they added after the Lord's Prayer.
This is the full-length video...

(03-02-2013, 06:45 PM)catquilt Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2013, 06:39 PM)JoniCath Wrote: [ -> ]I thought I'd seen every Catholic movie there was. The Song of Bernadette, a movie about the 3 children of Fatima, the Bells of St. Mary's, & on & on. However, I've not seen this one. If I had seen it in the 70's when it was made, it would have helped me so, I would have known that others felt like I did & I would have fought harder.

I'm thinking that's what happened to my mother too, saw the "new" Mass and never went back. I fell away from the faith and she died before I came back so I didn't think to talk to her about it. I remember her being upset about the "Protestant bit" they added after the Lord's Prayer.

I remember that we all prayed for Grandma's soul, since she was considered a "fallen away" Catholic. I now believe that she is in heaven praying for US!!!
Thank you all for your replies.

For those who have seen it, why is it rated R?
It was a good film. I'd no idea that it was rated 'R'?  ??? I only bought it on DVD a few years from Walmart for a dollar. It certainly didn't have any rating on it, then! :shrug:
(03-02-2013, 07:39 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: [ -> ]It was a good film. I'd no idea that it was rated 'R'?  ??? I only bought it on DVD a few years from Walmart for a dollar. It certainly didn't have any rating on it, then! :shrug:

Maybe it's because you've become that desensitized . . .

:mrwinky:
Or that I'd been watching too many pirate movies. Too much 'AARRRRRH' in 'em! :laughing:
(03-02-2013, 08:15 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: [ -> ]Or that I'd been watching too many pirate movies. Too much 'AARRRRRH' in 'em! :laughing:

Wow.

:LOL:
Pages: 1 2 3