FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Anti-Catholic NY Times article
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/opinio....html?_r=1&

I didn't know Satan used the pen name "Paul Elie".

The first problem with this article is its title. It's comparing apples to marshmallows (apples and oranges are too similar to make an effective metaphor). Bishop Ratzinger* is still a Catholic; he just abdicated the papacy. In fact, he said in his last Angelus address that he is not abandoning Catholicism.

This article encourages a complete lack of faith in the Church as a divine institution, telling people to abandon the Catholic Church completely because of some problems with the human element of the Church -- precisely what the devil wants. It says such things as, "We are resigned to the fact that so much in the Roman Catholic Church is broken and won’t be fixed anytime soon," and, "For the Catholic Church, it has been “all bad news, all the time” since Benedict took office in 2005." Furthermore, many of these "problems" with the Church are not problems at all: a "Papal insult to Muslims", because God forbid a Catholic should say that a false religion such as Islam is wrong;  "a Papal embrace of a Holocaust denier" -- nobody on either side of this issue has ever supported Bishop Williamson's denial of the Holocaust, in fact he has been expelled from the SSPX because of it; "molesting by priests and cover-ups by their superiors" -- more of this anti-Catholic shit giving undue emphasis to the less than 1% of Catholic priests who do such things (which the Church acknowledges as mortally sinful, mind you), and notice how the only people criticizing the seal of the confessional are the ones who never go to confession themselves.

"That he felt free to resign suggests that he thinks the Church is doing fine." No, he noted in his resignation speech that the human element of the Church is not doing fine, and he is resigning because he feels physically unable to carry this responsibility anymore.

"A temporary resignation would be a fitting Lenten observance. It would help believers to purify and deepen our faith in the light of our neighbors’." Okay, let me get this straight -- he's saying that we are supposed to deepen our faith: we're supposed to observe Lent, a time of prayer: by not going to Church. Only the devil would say something so absurd.

"Most ordinary believers have given up hope that the Church will change its ways." (By this it's trying to say that most ordinarily believers have supposedly given up hope that the crisis in the human element of the Church will be resolved.) This is a completely unwarranted and ridiculous assertion. It is saying that "most ordinary believers", whatever that's supposed to mean, have no faith and no hope in God and his Church. That's two out of three of the theological virtues that it's saying "most ordinary believers" lack.

This article is the devil trying to get us away from the Church of God, using pretended problems in the human element of the Church to attempt to eliminate our faith in God. Satan is, as always, trying to damn our souls by separating us from God. The devil can never overcome the Church, but clearly the devil has overcome the New York Times. I can tell you that this is the last time I'll be reading this newspaper.

*And yes, I will call him Bishop Ratzinger. He is not Pope Benedict XVI anymore. I refuse to call someone who is not the Pope by his Papal name.
What do you expect from the New York Times?
I don't get why people read liberal publications like New York times, Newsweek

I usually read Catholic related publications or if they are secular I usually go with The American Conservative or New America
I seriously believe the NYT is Satan's paper. I accidentally went there earlier today (google link, not paying attention) and my blood pressure rose before I could tear my eyes away. So I opened my hosts file and put their URL in there so the NYT is effectively blocked. It's a powerful rag, even for us! We get drawn in, shocked, want to see the train wreck... a real temptation. So I just blocked it.
if i'm going to read a mainstream paper i usually go with the wall street journal
Quit The New York Times.
It's all part of the psychic attack the Enemy sends our way. Whereas a lukewarm Catholic may shake their head and stop reading the article and forget it, the trad and more devout Catholic will become disturbed spiritually. We are the ones "in the way".

Imo, these things should be mentioned so that we can pray a prayer of reparation, but we probably shouldn't provide links and detailed descriptions of such attacks on the Faith.
(03-04-2013, 02:18 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: [ -> ]I seriously believe the NYT is Satan's paper. I accidentally went there earlier today (google link, not paying attention) and my blood pressure rose before I could tear my eyes away. So I opened my hosts file and put their URL in there so the NYT is effectively blocked. It's a powerful rag, even for us! We get drawn in, shocked, want to see the train wreck... a real temptation. So I just blocked it.

Well said, and good advice.
This article was mentioned by one of my priests during the sermon at Holy Mass.
(03-04-2013, 04:08 AM)Whitey Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2013, 02:18 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: [ -> ]I seriously believe the NYT is Satan's paper. I accidentally went there earlier today (google link, not paying attention) and my blood pressure rose before I could tear my eyes away. So I opened my hosts file and put their URL in there so the NYT is effectively blocked. It's a powerful rag, even for us! We get drawn in, shocked, want to see the train wreck... a real temptation. So I just blocked it.

Well said, and good advice.

Yes! Very smart...
Pages: 1 2