FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 10 Reasons for Cardinal Burke to be elected Pope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(03-04-2013, 08:03 PM)MRose Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2013, 05:37 PM)Cooler King Wrote: [ -> ]It's funny how even if elected, he would not satisfy the SV's as being a valid pope. He would also get a lot of flak from the progressives.
Pray.

Why is this funny?  You are not dumb; they have serious issues and arguments for their position.  I am sure you are capable of understanding them even if you disagree with them.

Thank you for your charitable post; it is much appreciated.
Am I a horrible person for reading this and thinking that these are reason he won't be elected?
(03-04-2013, 06:01 PM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Most importantly, Cardinal Burke is extremely Marian. He has great devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. He continues the tradition beginning with Pope Pius IX and extending up to Bl John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI. For me, Fatima is the key to everything going on in the Catholic Church.

BZZZZZZZZT. Nope. If Fatima is the key then JPII the Rosary mangler and B16 = epic Fatima FAIL. Delusion or what? If they're the Marian standard and Burke is of the same mold then Our Lady gets stiffed again. Not good. Burke isn't gonna happen, no way no how. No US popes. Smells and bells ain't gettin it done. And praise God for that.

Face it, there's not an Athanasius in sight.

Flame away.

I don't want to "flame away", but I must say that you must have been very young (or still unborn) during the council. The first thing that went were the Marian Devotions, the FIRST statues to be removed were those of Mary.

Karl Rahner, the FATHER of the council objected to reminders of Mary, saying they would be a detriment to "Ecumenicism:

FROM RORATE CAELI:

"The Schema constitutionis dogmaticae de [Beata] Maria [Virgine] was sent to the Fathers during the month of May [1963]. Neither the decision, nor the approved text, pleased Father Rahner, who in a written text addressed to all of the participants at the Fulda conference [of German-speaking Council Fathers and their experts] in August 1963, expressed his great concern regarding the document. These (concerns) – he assured – were shared by Fathers Grillmeier and Semmelroth. If the text were adopted, he affirmed “it would cause unimaginable harm from the ecumenical point of view regarding both the Orientals and the Protestants" [154]. Certainly, Rahner added, it could not be expected that the schema would be rejected like the one on the sources of Revelation. To reduce its importance, it was necessary to push, with all the insistence possible, for the schema to become a chapter, or the epilogue, of the schema on the Church. This, to his mind, would have been the easiest means to suppress from the schema the affirmations that theologically, are not sufficiently developed and would do nothing other than create incalculable harm from an ecumenical point of view. Thus, bitter discussions would be avoided[155].  (in simpler words, the [/b[b][b]]Protestants don't really accept Mary, so let's leave her out. )[/b]

"Father" Rainer's point of view won over, the Marian schema was dropped  & our Blessed Lady was relegated to an obscure place at the end of the general schema. Pope JPII was not my favorite Pope, but it was he who brought back the Rosary & devotion to Mary.

The second thing I'd like to address is the possibility that Cardinal Burke might be elected Pope. He was Archbishop of St. Louis, Mo. (my home state) & beloved by the people there. He does not waver from the faith of our Fathers & I promise you, you'll know it if he is elected. He doesn't mess around. I remember how livid he was when John Kerry was pictured in a magazine receiving the Holy Eucharist while supporting abortion. He didn't hold back his displeasure & he is not popular among the Cardinal Mahoney's et al.
(03-04-2013, 08:28 PM)JoniCath Wrote: [ -> ]The second thing I'd like to address is the possibility that Cardinal Burke might be elected Pope. He was Archbishop of St. Louis, Mo. (my home state) & beloved by the people there. He does not waver from the faith of our Fathers & I promise you, you'll know it if he is elected. He doesn't mess around. I remember how livid he was when John Kerry was pictured in a magazine receiving the Holy Eucharist while supporting abortion. He didn't hold back his displeasure & he is not popular among the Cardinal Mahoney's et al.

That is exactly why I'd like to see Cardinal Burke.  A little house cleaning would be a good thing.
(03-04-2013, 07:07 PM)dark lancer Wrote: [ -> ]Whoever we end up with, we'll probably be fine.

Ah, the voice of reason.   :tiphat:

And two points re: the opening article.  First, Cardinal Burke did not, in fact, force the cancellation of a Sheryl Crowe concert at a Catholic hospital.  Rather, he resigned from the Board when the hospital refused to cancel said concert. Secondly, he did not sack a St Louis Catholic basketball coach.  He merely publicly called out the coach who had appeared at a Hilary Clinton fund raiser and announced he "supported pro-choice" or some other Mensa level phraseology.  The coach's university (Jesuit, as I recall) fully supported the coach and continued to employ him.  The coach is dead now, btw.

Burke would make a fine Holy Father, but I don't think it's realistic.  Ranjith is our best hope at this point.
(03-04-2013, 08:38 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2013, 07:07 PM)dark lancer Wrote: [ -> ]Whoever we end up with, we'll probably be fine.

Ah, the voice of reason.   :tiphat:

And two points re: the opening article.  First, Cardinal Burke did not, in fact, force the cancellation of a Sheryl Crowe concert at a Catholic hospital.  Rather, he resigned from the Board when the hospital refused to cancel said concert. Secondly, he did not sack a St Louis Catholic basketball coach.  He merely publicly called out the coach who had appeared at a Hilary Clinton fund raiser and announced he "supported pro-choice" or some other Mensa level phraseology.  The coach's university (Jesuit, as I recall) fully supported the coach and continued to employ him.  The coach is dead now, btw.

Burke would make a fine Holy Father, but I don't think it's realistic.  Ranjith is our best hope at this point.

I think Ranjith would actually be more likely to take action in a way that is favorable to tradition. For instance ,he actually banned CITH in his diocese and publicly says it should be done away with world wide. Burke on the other hand kind of sort of talks about the issue but doesn't seem nearly as decisive.
(03-04-2013, 04:36 PM)City Smurf Wrote: [ -> ]Does Cardinal Burke support America's "War on Terror"?

?
(03-04-2013, 08:17 PM)McNider Wrote: [ -> ]Am I a horrible person for reading this and thinking that these are reason he won't be elected?
That's what I was thinking too while reading this.

:afraidsmiley:
I too fear that the very reasons listed in the article might be what keeps his out. This conclave will tell us where we are in terms of restoring tradition at least.

I too am in the St. Louis area and have two things to add about Cardinal Burke...

1.) I heard him give a lecture at a Lenten retreat, and for all the talk of his stubbornness and "being bull-headed" by some folks here might be a bit off the mark. the man is humble and soft spoken in person, yet firm as a rock on matters of faith. people just dont know what battles he fought here. He was one prelate that I could truly say feared God rather than men. Yet I coukd not detect a spec of pride in him. Felt like I was in the presense of a saint...no joke.

2.) From talking to some semenarians here I can tell you they loved him dearly - reminded me of what I've read about pope St. Pius X's days as a bishop. And during his time here we saw a number of N.O. semenarians learning the Latin mass at St Francis de Sales Oratory. Quite a few came here soon after ordination and offered it publicly as one of their first masses.

So pray for the good Cardinal. He would be a blessing for the Church.

There are my two cents. take em for what they are worth.
(03-04-2013, 08:04 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2013, 05:37 PM)Cooler King Wrote: [ -> ]It's funny how even if elected, he would not satisfy the SV's as being a valid pope. He would also get a lot of flak from the progressives.
Pray.

Well, you can't please everybody.

Vatican II must go. Nothing short of that will cure the ills of the Church.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7