FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 10 Reasons for Cardinal Burke to be elected Pope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I am fairly certain an American will not be elected because I think much of the world views the USA with a measure of caution. To elect an American might be seen as an endorsement and reaffirmation of American exceptionalism. I have no doubt that most prelates in the world view the United States as beneficial to the Church in many ways, but I think they also see it as a superpower that needs to be tempered. The hubris of American foreign policy makes it look like we think we can do whatever we want. If we had an American pope, it would only feed our hubris. Many of the cardinals are very sensitive to global social issues, and they do not want to see a further concentration of power in the hands of Americans.
(03-05-2013, 12:14 AM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]I am fairly certain an American will not be elected because I think much of the world views the USA with a measure of caution. To elect an American might be seen as an endorsement and reaffirmation of American exceptionalism. I have no doubt that most prelates in the world view the United States as beneficial to the Church in many ways, but I think they also see it as a superpower that needs to be tempered. The hubris of American foreign policy makes it look like we think we can do whatever we want. If we had an American pope, it would only feed our hubris. Many of the cardinals are very sensitive to global social issues, and they do not want to see a further concentration of power in the hands of Americans.

QFT! As much as I'd like to see His Eminence, Cardinal Burke elected,  he won't be for the simple fact he's an American. If he were from any other country, he might stand a chance.
Where can I find a good accurate bio of Cardinal Rajinth?
(03-05-2013, 12:14 AM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]I am fairly certain an American will not be elected because I think much of the world views the USA with a measure of caution. To elect an American might be seen as an endorsement and reaffirmation of American exceptionalism. I have no doubt that most prelates in the world view the United States as beneficial to the Church in many ways, but I think they also see it as a superpower that needs to be tempered. The hubris of American foreign policy makes it look like we think we can do whatever we want. If we had an American pope, it would only feed our hubris. Many of the cardinals are very sensitive to global social issues, and they do not want to see a further concentration of power in the hands of Americans.
Conclaves are not a political thing.
Rather they are of Supernature.
(03-05-2013, 10:07 AM)Old Salt Wrote: [ -> ]Conclaves are not a political thing.

Old Salt, if you really believe that politics (both ecclesiastical and temporal) don't play a large part in every conclave I have some prime beach front property in Nunavut I'd like to sell you as a winter vacation home! :LOL:
(03-05-2013, 10:30 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2013, 10:07 AM)Old Salt Wrote: [ -> ]Conclaves are not a political thing.

Old Salt, if you really believe that politics (both ecclesiastical and temporal) don't play a large part in every conclave I have some prime beach front property in Nunavut I'd like to sell you as a winter vacation home! :LOL:
Then I guess I will consider your kind offer.
Rather they are of Supernature.

The Church had cardinal-nephews (relatives elected by the reigning Pontiff) from the 11th century to the 19th century, and at least fifteen of them (possibly 19) later became Pope.

The word "nepotism" originates from the above practice.  See also the Medici and Borgia families.
Pray tell, old salt, when this began to happen?  Was there a particular interregnum in which the Holy Spirit took over?  If so, when was it?  If not, did the Holy Spirit simply want some bad, immoral popes for us?  Did the Holy Spirit want the papacy bought and sold, for instance?  OR want the 18 year old son of a powerful family made pope?  Or want a poor monk dragged from his hermitage to be installed in a papacy he was not capable of comprehending?  

I can't wait.
When you tell people that the Holy Spirit invariably chooses the pope, it leads to refusal to accept the Catholic faith or loss of faith.  One can be too pious.  This is one such instance.
(03-05-2013, 12:48 AM)DustinsDad Wrote: [ -> ]Where can I find a good accurate bio of Cardinal Rajinth?

Yeah, where's he from?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7