FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The case for Cardinal Ranjith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have already stated some reasons why Cardinal Ranjith is papabile and preferable for trads:

Quote:Cardinal Ranjith is from Sri Lanka. The wikipedia article is decent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Ranjith

To my mind, here are the reasons that make him ideal:
- He favors the traditional liturgy. He has made bold statements in its favor and has spoken sympathetically of the SSPX.
- He has pastoral experience, and he has used his pastoral authority to ban communion in the hand in his archdiocese.
- He has experience in the curia and as a papal nuncio.
- He speaks ten languages.
- He has confronted the secular government of his home country when necessary.
- He is sensitive to global social issues.
- He is uncompromisingly orthodox.
- He is capable of being diplomatic with churchmen who are unlike him. Case in point, Cardinal Schonborn considers him a dear friend.

Still, he is a long shot, I think, simply because he would be an unconventional choice. If he were Italian, I think his chances might be much better.

So in reviewing the qualifications of the cardinals who are most often mentioned as papabile (both by liberals and trads), I'm really not seeing anyone who ticks off as many boxes as Ranjith. Many have diocesan experience but little curial experience (and vice versa). And there are few who are as accomplished in languages as Ranjith. On paper (even leaving aside his trad appeal), he seems like the best all-around candidate.

I should also mention that Catholics are a small minority in Sri Lanka. Thus, having headed two dioceses there, he has an awareness of the necessity of missionary zeal, as well as being able to reach out to those of other religions. Is this not a microcosm of the Church in the modern world? Aren't we a small minority in need of missionary zeal?

Here is some additional information from: http://www2.fiu.edu/~mirandas/bios2010.htm#Patabendige. Quite a resume.

Quote:Priesthood. Ordained, June 29, 1975, at St Peter's square, by Pope Paul VI, together with 358 other deacons. After returning to Sri Lanka in 1978, he became assistant pastor in Pamunugama; he later served as a pastor in Payagala and Kalutara, parishes of poor but religious people in fishing villages; this experience led him to become involved with social justice; he also established "Seth Sarana," a center for poor relief in the archdiocese of Colombo. In 1983, he was named the National Director of Pontifical Mission Societies. He revived the Society of the Holy Childhood and, as diocesan coordinator for Human Development, he introduced bold initiatives in areas such as housing, fisheries and various self-employment projects.

Episcopate. Elected titular bishop of Cabarsussi and appointed auxiliary of Colombo, June 17, 1991. Consecrated, August 31, 1991, by Nicholas Marcus Fernando, archbishop of Colombo, assisted by Thomas Savundaranayagam, bishop of Mannar, and by Oswald Thomas Colman Gomis, titular bishop of Mulia, auxiliary of Colombo. His episcopal motto is Verbum caro factum est. He was named vicar general charged with Parochial Apostolate and Lay Apostolate, occupying the post from 1991 until 1995. He was elected secretary general of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Sri Lanka and chairman of the Episcopal Commission for Justice and Peace in the same year. He also was chairman of the Organizing Committee for the Beatification of Ven. Joseph Vaz and for the visit of Pope John Paul II to Sri Lanka in January 1995. Transferred to the see of Ratnapura, November 2, 1995. On October 1, 2001, he was named adjunct secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and president of the Pontifical Mission Societies; resigned the see of Ratnapura and was promoted to the rank of archbishop on that same date. Named nuncio in Indonesia and East Timor and transferred to the titular see of Umbriatica, April 29, 2004. Named secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, December 10, 2005. Transferred to the metropolitan see of Colombo, June 16, 2009. He received the pallium on June 29, 2009. He took formal canonical possession of the metropolitan see of Colombo in a private ceremony on August 5, 2009; and celebrated the mass for the solemn beginning of his pastoral ministry as archbishop of Colombo on August 8, 2009, when he was publicly installed.

And here is his heraldry:
[Image: PATABENDIGE%20corrected0001.jpg]
I like his motto.
Love him and want him as pope. This is why he won't be though. He scares the liberal faction. Or perhaps not. i'd love to be proven wrong about that.

The most progressive Archbishop in the world doesn't complain about Old Liberal decadence.  He rushes to act.

(kreuz.net, Vatikan) At the end of June Malcom Cardinal Ranjith of Colombo in Sri Lanka condemns the celebration of the Mass on the supper table facing the pews.

The Cardinal spoke in the framework of a conference, which took place in Rome from 20th to the 24th of June in Rome, organized by the "Missionaries of the Most Holy Eucharist".

The Priest as a Boring Entertainer

The Cardinal stressed that the Priest at the supper table is forced in the role of an entertainer.

The Second Vatican Council never talked about a Calvin Box: "The people's altar is not suitable for the fear inducing Mystery of the Holy Eucharist" -- admonished the Cardinal.

He received enormous applause for stating this truism.

The Cardinal stated that the active participation in the Mass is not an external activity rather the significance interior worship.

How does one reform a Diocese?

At dinner during the Conference Cardinal Ranjith described, according to the US Traditionalist Website 'rorate-caeli.blogspot.com' that he had abolished Communion in the Hand in his Diocese.

At the same time he restored communion rails in every church as well.

His priests may only use proper vestments in their celebration of Holy Mass.

Finally he has forbidden all of the priest, to hold syncretic Liturgies, in which elements of other religions are introduced into the Liturgy.

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2011...on-in.html
My hope is that the liberals and moderates remain ignorant about his traditional views on liturgy. Instead, when they look at him, I hope they just see "social justice...third world...Asian...multiculturalism."
Hands down the best choice I agree, but this just makes him not-papabile unfortunately.

I suppose, though, that I would have said the same about Ratzinger last time around. And would have been wrong.

Maybe I am too jaded, but he seems too good to be true. I know, that is a terrible thing to say for a man of faith. But as I tried (but failed) to convince others, I do believe that human cooperation is necessary in the choosing of a pope, and, well, if Ranjit seems so exceptional, it is because he is an exception, and therefore one unlikely to garner 2/3ds of the votes. I would LOVE to be wrong though!
I already posted my views on him in the "Papabile of the day'" thread a while ago:

Quote:Actually, I think Cardinal Ranjiths chances are better than I first thought. If the election of a new pope was a mere box checking exercise, he would possibly come out on top of the list:
- He speaks more languages than almost any other Cardinal, including completely fluent English, Italian and German.
- He is from Asia but has Roman experience.
- He worked within the Vatican Curia, but also has pastoral experience
- In addition to that he has diplomatic experience (was nuncio to Indonesia and East Timor, and those countries are not exactly on friendly terms)
- His pastoral experience includes three years as archbishop, but also five years as a pastor in some remote Sri Lankan fishermen's villages. In addition to that he also knows the reality of standard first world parishes (he worked as a summer holidays replacement in a German parish for several years).
- He is experienced in interreligious dialogue

I still think he will not be elected, because he's seen as too conservative (and because the SSPX spoke positively about him). But that's what I thought about Cardinal Ratzinger as well.

Here is his biography on Salvador Miranda's site, which has bios of all Cardinals since 492.

Here is his commencement address and homily at Thomas Aquinas college (worth reading), together with those of other Cardinals.

What I find really funny is the reaction of the liberals on National Catholic Reporter to Allen's articles about him and Cardinal Schönborn.
On the one hand you have a guy from a third world Country who has served for years as a parish priest in remote Sri Lankan Fisherman's villages and founded an organization that works against poverty during that time.
On the other hand, you have a white European, who comes from a rich family of high nobility and has spent his entire life in Central Europe.

So who do the liberals, who pretend to be so concerned about the poor chose? Why, the european nobleman, of course! He has balloon masses, while that backward third-worldian does not like Communion in the hand!
(03-05-2013, 05:36 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote: [ -> ]What I find really funny is the reaction of the liberals on National Catholic Reporter to Allen's articles about him and Cardinal Schönborn.
On the one hand you have a guy from a third world Country who has served for years as a parish priest in remote Sri Lankan Fisherman's villages and founded an organization that works against poverty during that time.
On the other hand, you have a white European, who comes from a rich family of high nobility and has spent his entire life in Central Europe.

So who do the liberals, who pretend to be so concerned about the poor chose? Why, the european nobleman, of course! He has balloon masses, while that backward third-worldian does not like Communion in the hand!

This is a great observation. I think the liberals' problem is that they are not so much interested in charity as in the feeling of charity.
I like him as well- i was happy when he was the cardinal given to me on the "adoptacardinal" site. 
He's got my vote.

Whats that?  I dont get to vote? 
Are we sure that the liberals still have at least 1/3 of the College? Because that's what they'll need to block him. Sure, there are notorious modernists, but are there 38 actual liberals?  I'm asking, cuz I don't know.
Pages: 1 2 3