FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Orange County, CA Daily TLM, Etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A daily traditional Latin Mass is being implemented at St John the Baptist in Costa Mesa. The first step is first Thursdays in honor of the Blessed Sacrament. Tomorrow will be a low Mass at 6:30 pm. The Mass will be for the Election of a Supreme Pontiff, with a sermon in Spanish. (This TLM is currently an extension of the Hispanic Ministry.) Come, pray, participate. Show your support. Gain grace.

Looking forward, there are low Masses in Holy Week on March 25, 26, and 27 at Noon. Easter is a Solemn High Mass at 12:30 pm.

After each first Sunday we have fellowship in the Hall with the TLM community. Visitors are all welcome.

Please pray for the pastor, Fr. Augustine, and for the priest in charge of the TLM ministry, Fr. Claude, for the other Fathers, Andrew, Robert, Vincent, and Godfrey, and for all the Norbertines, that they strive to continually be the leaven in our local church.

I hope your Lent is going well!

Just as a post script. If someone asks why only first Thursdays, it is because there is a lot that goes on at SJB. In the church on weekdays there are three Masses, three hours of the Office, daily exposition of the Blessed Sacrament for one hour, and the Rosary, as well as the worship related to the school. Not to mention the important ministry Fr Claude has evangelizing the Hispanic people in the community (door to door, etc.). We have to be patient and pray and give our good witness to encourage others to support the TLM, if not outright celebrate/attend it. It will take time to achieve this goal, but the priests at SJB are supportive and committed to it. Slow and steady wins the race.
I live in Anaheim I will try to go to the TLM one day
Arturo, why not come to an Anglican Use mass in Santa Ana if you can't seem to make it to the TLM? It's at a gorgeous, historical church. It's like a living translation of the TLM. Father Bartus is a very pious priest. Sundays - 3:00pm at Saint Joseph's in Santa Ana.
[Image: 12385655.jpg]

I've been to the TLM in Costa Mesa a few times and wasn't very impressed. The chorus kept singing hymns, which sounded classical. Hardly any real chants. It just seemed like a forced TLM. The Norbertines are usually pretty great, though, which is what is weird.
(03-06-2013, 03:46 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]Arturo, why not come to an Anglican Use mass in Santa Ana if you can't seem to make it to the TLM? It's at a gorgeous, historical church. It's like a living translation of the TLM. Father Bartus is a very pious priest. Sundays - 3:00pm at Saint Joseph's in Santa Ana.
[Image: 12385655.jpg]

I've been to the TLM in Costa Mesa a few times and wasn't very impressed. The chorus kept singing hymns, which sounded classical. Hardly any real chants. It just seemed like a forced TLM. The Norbertines are usually pretty great, though, which is what is weird.
=

what is the address?
(03-06-2013, 04:09 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: [ -> ]what is the address?

I actually just moved to Irvine last month and I've been meaning to get over there myself sometime soon.  St. Joseph's Catholic Church is at  727 North Minter Street, Santa Ana, CA 92701.  There's a website at http://www.jhnewman.org/.

I'm thankful St. John the Baptist offers the TLM, but last time I was there I found it really hard to concentrate because the building seems to amplify any noises made in the pews.  That's probably my problem, though.
Misplaced Zeal, I also noticed this. This is another reason why I felt it wasn't as reverent as it could have been. The building just screams library study distractions.

As for Saint Joseph's...the acoustics are pretty bad from the choir loft. And, ah, there is the back of the church...hahahahah
[Image: bonerjesusandtheartcritic.jpg]

I found St Joseph back in 2011 when I was married. We got married in Sts Peter and Paul in Wilmington and had the reception in Santa Ana. We were trying to find places to take photos and I came across this Gothic style mini cathedral. I thought that the back might have some sort of shrine to the BVM but nope, they had THAT ^ (picture is not of me at all)