FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholics and homosexuality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
(03-09-2013, 03:20 PM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2013, 03:07 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Shouldn't drunks and self abusers DWIP and stop ITC?  Why do we need to discuss these problems on a public forum?

If you're going to parody an argument, it should at least be analogous :((

It is analogous.  Very much so.  :tiphat:
(03-09-2013, 03:22 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2013, 03:07 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Shouldn't drunks and self abusers DWIP and stop ITC?  Why do we need to discuss these problems on a public forum?

It is analogous.  Very much so.   :tiphat:

But but...no one suggested a FE alcoholic/self-abuser support group.  Nor that they should meet in a bar or red light district.

I also don't remember anyone saying that a particular sin shouldn't be discussed at all.  The argument seemed to be against using one sin to define your existence.  I wouldn't introduce myself as "Hey Doc, I'm Pheo and I have a brutal time with sloth."  So why the need to disclose that you're attracted to dudes to everyone you meet?  I believe that's the gist of the DWIP component.
(03-09-2013, 03:28 PM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2013, 03:22 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]

It is analogous.  Very much so.   :tiphat:

But but...no one suggested a FE alcoholic/self-abuser support group.  Nor that they should meet in a bar or red light district.

I also don't remember anyone saying that a particular sin shouldn't be discussed at all.  The argument seemed to be against using one sin to define your existence.  I wouldn't introduce myself as "Hey Doc, I'm Pheo and I have a brutal time with sloth."  So why the need to disclose that you're attracted to dudes to everyone you meet?

Yes, several people have said that a particular sin shouldn't be discussed at all.  DWIP and stop ITC I believe is the suggested course of action. 

You should try re-reading this thread.  I realize the overuse of ALL CAPS and exclamation points!!!!!!!!!! (not to mention parenthetical comments), and overly long saintly quotes makes it a wearying exercise, but it can be instructive. :tiphat:
I did.  Mikemac was making the same point I made above.  Plus you didn't deal with the rest of my post addressing your non-analogous argument (how very CAF of you...:sneaky:).
(03-09-2013, 03:45 PM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]I did.  Mikemac was making the same point I made above.  Plus you didn't deal with the rest of my post addressing your non-analogous argument (how very CAF of you...:sneaky:).

I did address it.  It was analogous.  QED
(03-09-2013, 01:45 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like more the posters here are more concerns with proving how "tough" on gays they are, and less concerned with what actually might convert the sinner. Again, I remember something about millstones.

That's the second time that you have used the millstone analogy.

Matthew 18:6 "But he that shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be drowned in the depth of the sea."

But nobody here is scandalizing you.  Take the advice that Courage can give you, then leave.  A continual association with people with like minds is not good.  It can lead to temptation in itself.  How long are you going to call yourself a person with SSA?  Twenty years?  Thirty years?  Your whole life?  You are not one that likes to flaunt it, are you?  Just give it up.  Walk away like Lot did.  Don't look back like Lot's wife did.  Please.  My prayers are with you.  And I'm sure many in this forum are too.

Here's an excerpt from a blog from a traditional Catholic mom that may help you understand what we are saying.
Quote:As a Catholic mom of three teenagers and a pre-teen, here is my very brief rendition of how a Catholic mom might present this to her teenager.

“The Church teaches us that it is always a sin to commit a homosexual act, and that would include any kind of physical contact that is sexual in nature, like touching with hands, or kissing. The Church also teaches us that it isn’t a sin to have desires like that, but that it is still not okay because those are temptations that can lead us into sin. Some people have those kinds of desires, especially when they are going through puberty and are just beginning to think about sex. The vast majority of people are naturally drawn to people of the opposite sex, but sometimes young people are confused about that. If your friends at school are telling you that it is okay to be attracted to someone of the same sex, they are wrong. It is not okay.”

In my experience with my own teenagers, I have noticed that it is difficult for them to understand the difference between something being a “sin” and something being “not okay.” Certainly, the distinction can be confusing for anyone, let alone a teenager. It occurs to me that confusion is spread when Catholics are out there presenting arguments in public that it is “okay” to have same-sex attraction but “not okay” to commit a homosexual act. Do you tell your kids at home that it is “okay” if they are attracted to someone of the same sex? If so, you’re leading them into temptation, not away from it. Read the “Our Father” and see, that’s not good parenting. Are you a Catholic mom of teenagers telling your kids one thing at home and telling the world something different on your blog? That, too, is bad.

“Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”
Here's an appropriate Voris video for this thread.

And here's another.

Come oh Holy Spirit
Come and renew the face of the earth.

[Image: fwqnKse.jpg]

Based on a 2011 survey.
Pheo, I believe Doc is referring to this post among others.

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg33875812
(03-09-2013, 06:36 PM)Jacob Wrote: [ -> ]Pheo, I believe Doc is referring to this post among others.

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg33875812

Admittedly I only skimmed that one before.  Ok...very lightly skimmed.  But having re-read it, I still don't see how it would scar anyone irreparably (even if I don't agree with everything in it).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37