FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholics and homosexuality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
(03-11-2013, 07:49 PM)mikemac Wrote: [ -> ]Well I am in the second gear so I will say this with mercy.  Here are three different scenarios if you happened to say the above to a Catholic, a Protestant and the wrong person.

Papist "Hi, I'm bob. I am attracted to members of the same sex. This is what I do to overcome these temptations. Perhaps this will be helpful to you."
Catholic "Hi, oh I see.  See you."

Papist "Hi, I'm bob. I am attracted to members of the same sex. This is what I do to overcome these temptations. Perhaps this will be helpful to you."
Protestant "Oh yeah, did you learn that from your priest?  Did you know the next Pope is going to be the antichrist?"

The wrong person "Get out of my sight before I knock your block off."

I'm serious Papist, you may think society is accepting of people with same sex attraction but there is still a very large part of the population that despise it.  For your own safety you may not want to say that to everyone you meet.  And I certainly do not think you should be even mentioning it in your introduction if your plan is to try to spread the Word of God, because they are a contradiction to each other.

Here's an alternative.

Papist "Hi, I'm bob.  Nice day eh."

If you are chaste I don't see why you even have to mention anything about your sexuality.  You know, you don't hear people introducing themselves like, "Hi, I'm bob.  I'm a reformed womanizer." or "Hi, I'm bob.  I'm a reformed adulterer." or "Hi, I'm suzy.  I used to be very promiscuous but I'm alright now."

I just don't see why you think you have to tell the world.      

I see. So you're concerned about the safety of homosexuals? That's why you recommend they just shut up about themselves?

Anyway, and sadly, it looks like it's more likely like this:

Trad Catholic  What!? Are you chaste? I know they say it's rude to ask people about their sins, but are you? I mean, if you are, then why would you call yourself that?   Don't you know we prefer speculation, shame, whispering campaigns, secrecy that can lead to blackmail in the kind of world we want, and that people hide who they are at all times, to all people except priests? Speaking of "hide," hide the children, everyone; Bob here's a faggety-fag! One who thinks he can have SSA, admit he has SSA, AND spread  the Word of God at the same time! He's lucky he doesn't get his block knocked off; not everyone has charity for fags like I do!

Random thoughts that have nothing to do with the above post, necessarily:

Closed book types are boring. In terms of friendship or intimacy,  what would be the purpose of talking to these people you can never really know (and what do you talk about after politics and religion are done talked about)?

At least we know who the folks are who have any sense of imagination in this thread.

Who says, "Hi, I'm Bob, and I'm a/an (fill in the blank with whatever)" except at AA meetings?  Is this what some people think other people do?

There are some very active imaginations here!
(03-11-2013, 08:49 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Who says, "Hi, I'm Bob, and I'm a/an (fill in the blank with whatever)" except at AA meetings?  Is this what some people think other people do?

That's what I was thinking. The, "Hi, I'm Bob and I struggle with SSA," might something one might here in a Courage meeting or some other such support group. And I agree, that the closed booked types are somewhat boring. It is probably just fine if one's closest friends know about one's SSA.
Now that we've cleared up who talks about what when and with whom, I'd like to see a discussion on my suggestion for screening out undesirable seminarians. 

Go ahead....  :tiphat:
Well like I said, when you clarified in what context you'd say that it made more sense to me.  You could have said that the first time I asked you about it Papist.
(03-11-2013, 09:08 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Now that we've cleared up who talks about what when and with whom, I'd like to see a discussion on my suggestion for screening out undesirable seminarians. 

Go ahead....  :tiphat:
The problem is that you will have make sure that the prospective seminarian is not too drunk at the time, and there are no enhancing drugs at work. If either of these situations are true, then  the seminarian may be successful at the test regardless of his "orientation."
(03-11-2013, 09:10 PM)mikemac Wrote: [ -> ]Well like I said, when you clarified in what context you'd say that it made more sense to me.  You could have said that the first time I asked you about it Papist.
From what I can tell, this thread was not just about who some one could tell about his or her SSA, but also about that fact that in order to be a faithful Catholic one need also swear an oath against support groups.

"If anyone proclaim the most vile heresy that it is appropriate for one struggling with SSA to participate in a support group, let him be anathema! Anathema I tell you!"
                                                                                                                                              - The first ecumenical council of the unmerciful.
I notice the charity card is used sort of like the race card.
(03-11-2013, 09:20 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: [ -> ]I notice the charity card is used sort of like the race card.
Not thrown around as much as the, "you have a disordered mind" card.  Who was the person who used that ad hominem to dismiss my valid point???? Oh wait... I remember who it was.
(03-11-2013, 09:25 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2013, 09:20 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: [ -> ]I notice the charity card is used sort of like the race card.
Not thrown around as much as the, "you have a disordered mind" card.  :LOL:

O, I get it.  SSA isn't a disorder?  And it's funny when someone's wrong? 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37