FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholics and homosexuality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
(03-13-2013, 12:12 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2013, 11:25 AM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: [ -> ]:crucifix:

As for some earlier comments I've made about abhorrence for temptations (in particular the SSA type), it may be natural and even healthy, but I realize it can lead to scrupulosity, and even to a sinful self-hatred, which can lead to self-harm.  If anything I've said has had that effect in this thread or any other, I sincerely and most profusely apologize.

Beautiful. You're awesome. :)

I'm not taking back anything I said, I'm just adding to it.
(03-13-2013, 12:00 PM)FaithfulCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I commend any Catholic who experiences an attraction to the same sex but lives a life of chasteness in accordance with God's laws pertaining to right-ordered sexuality.

However, I think many Catholics are uneasy about the overwhelming attention given to the LGBTQ etc. crowd by the Church, such as;

Parish ministries other than Courage which are questionable in their teachings aimed at queering the parishes; parishes which have been all but taken over by them (Most Holy Redeemer); homosexuals who masqueraded as priests and raped innocent youth scarring them for life (and yet the Church won't admit it was homosexuals who did that, pretending instead they were pedophiles); "Always Our Children" written by three homosexuals, etc.

Popular culture pushes "all gay all the time" and now there appears to be a push back by those who oppose the LGBTQ etc. agenda that's being forced upon us.

Catholics are right to be wary of folks who have a radical activist agenda when it comes to this issue. Some of the stuff coming from San Franciso, for ex., is just ridiculous. And all that needs to be stopped, wherever it's found. But still, backlash leads to backlash, endless cycles of action - reaction in which no one is satisifed because people are too busy acting and reacting, hating or being hated, pushing and pushing back, to live the Gospel, which commands us to love.

I am very protective of folks with SSA who are trying to live as Christians (and those with SSA who aren't trying to live as Christians, for that matter), but I also make clear on the FE website that the problems we've had as far as "clergy sexual abuse" goes, stem from "the lavender mafia," that 81% of the victims are male, that the problem is ephebophilia and not pedophilia, etc. (see http://www.fisheaters.com/clergysexabuse.html ) We've just got to keep the facts straight -- but not only the facts about the sex abuse scandals and their being caused by a handful of homosexuals, but the facts about homosexuality, what the Catechism teaches about it and about how the will must be used for there to be culpability for sin, what the Gospel teaches about judging souls, etc. Getting angry about the sexual abuse issue and the "rainbow-sashing" of our parishes is understandble -- but blaming all homosexuals for it isn't fair or right, and allowing emotions to kill logic and charity it helps no one. It hurts people -- and the people it hurts are often those who are already hurting the most and have huge crosses to bear just by virtue of their disorder.

P.S. if it'd help any forum member with SSA to know, I've gotten notes and PMs from people who haven't posted in this thread at all but have said nice things about how I've talked about things here. My point:  sometimes -- often -- the loudest folks on a forum are the ones who are the most wrong-headed, and you have lots more support and love out there than it may seem at first glance!

(03-13-2013, 12:07 PM)Armor of Light Wrote: [ -> ]Me & Big George don't like bullies.

He kills me. You look at his face now, with his being older, and that typical smile he's got on, and he looks like a big ole teddy bear. "Awwwww, hims wouldn't hurt a fly!" -- then you see those fists! Gulp!
(03-13-2013, 10:01 AM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]However, those of us with SSA need to have someone to talk to about it that we know will be compassionate, because it is precisely when we DWIP that we succumb to sin.  I understand that you are oblivious to that because you don't have SSA youself, so you wouldn't know.  But that's the fact.

Of course this is a bit of a biased fact, which doesn't make it much of a fact at all.  The men/women who "DWIP" obviously aren't going to be reporting it on this forum (I'm sure they exist).  So we don't/can't know the end result of their approach.

In any case, I wouldn't advocate a blanket DWIP approach: but you can't say that it's a guaranteed recipe for failure either.
(03-13-2013, 12:41 PM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]but you can't say that it's a guaranteed recipe for failure either.

That's true.  However, groups like Courage, Sexaholics Anonymous, Sex Addicts Anonymous, etc., suggest it is a common, and likely a majority, problem among homosexuals.  There are probably very few who can live chastely by sitting back and keeping their mouth shut.  Secret shame leads to compulsion.  A lot of homosexual behavior is compulsive.  That fact is very much unbiased.
(03-13-2013, 11:16 AM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2013, 11:09 AM)Akavit Wrote: [ -> ]There are many anti-bullying articles around the internet and they mostly share a common theme.  It's not really possible to get outside protection from bullying because bullies find clever ways around it.  Instead, the victim has to learn how to put an end to it.  People have never attempted to bully me and few people even attempt to tease me in a good-natured manner.  This is because I have learned to ignore personal slights to the extent that potential bullies find me boring.
So if we tell effeminate boys and tomboyish girls to read these articles, then they will stop being bullied?

It's not that simple but there is a lot of truth to it.  People who have had major problems with bullies have indeed learned how to put an end to it.  Most times it's psychological.  Occasionally it takes a physical confrontation but that's more rare and usually only the case if the bullying is physical in nature.

To answer Vox, I'm not a big guy at all so physical intimidation obviously isn't the reason people left me alone and refrained from teasing.  It must have been related to my personality.  I know a couple people that were always picked on when the teasing started up and both of them had one thing in common: they always reacted with indignation to the teasing.  I never did.  My response was either a faint smile in reply or simply ignoring it.

Last but not least, verbal bullying itself can be turned into a positive by treating at a cross to bear and offering it up to God.  Physical bullying is different but at least there the possibility for outside intervention exists.  The verbal kind is impossible to stop by law, regulation or outside help so it's necessary for the victim to become immune to it.
(03-13-2013, 10:01 AM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't bothered to read the whole thread, but man, what I have has been a laughingstock!...

I understand that many are uncomfortable with this topic and would prefer to live in a make-believe world where it doesn't exist (hence, DWIP).

Then you have not read the thread.

Excuse me... Habemus Papem.

But we do not feel uncomfortable with you at all. Please read the thread. ♥
Perhaps our new Papa will take my seminarian screening idea under advisement!

"Francis, rebuild my Church" indeed!
(03-13-2013, 08:25 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps our new Papa will take my seminarian screening idea under advisement!

"Francis, rebuild my Church" indeed!

You're a scandal and a half, is what you are.
(03-13-2013, 02:13 PM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2013, 10:01 AM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't bothered to read the whole thread, but man, what I have has been a laughingstock!...

I understand that many are uncomfortable with this topic and would prefer to live in a make-believe world where it doesn't exist (hence, DWIP).

Then you have not read the thread.

Excuse me... Habemus Papem.

But we do not feel uncomfortable with you at all. Please read the thread. ♥
Considering that Christ ate with sinners and tax collectors, I'm quite certain he would comfortable eating with some who struggles with SSA.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37