FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Reflection; Fatima and Cades (Kadesh)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today's Lesson for Mass of the Friday of the Third week of Lent is Numbers,20. 1-3; 6-13.

[1] And the children of Israel, and all the multitude came into the desert of Sin, in the first month: and the people abode in Cades. And Mary died there, and was buried in the same place. [2] And the people wanting water, came together against Moses and Aaron: [3] And making a sedition, they said: Would God we had perished among our brethren before the Lord. [4] Why have you brought out the church of the Lord into the wilderness, that both we and our cattle should die? [5] Why have you made us come up out of Egypt, and have brought us into this wretched place which cannot be sowed, nor bringeth forth figs, nor vines, nor pomegranates, neither is there any water to drink?

[6] And Moses and Aaron leaving the multitude, went into the tabernacle of the covenant, and fell flat upon the ground, and cried to the Lord, and said: O Lord God, hear the cry of this people, and open to them thy treasure, a fountain of living water, that being satisfied, they may cease to murmur. And the glory of the Lord appeared over them. [7] And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: [8] Take the rod, and assemble the people together, thou and Aaron thy brother, and speak to the rock before them, and it shall yield waters. And when thou hast brought forth water out of the rock, all the multitude and their cattle shall drink. [9] Moses therefore took the rod, which was before the Lord, as he had commanded him, [10] And having gathered together the multitude before the rock, he said to them: Hear, ye rebellious and incredulous: Can we bring you forth water out of this rock?

[11] And when Moses had lifted up his hand, and struck the rock twice with the rod, there came forth water in great abundance, so that the people and their cattle drank, [12] And the Lord said to Moses and Aaron: Because you have not believed me, to sanctify me before the children of Israel, you shall not bring these people into the land, which I will give them. [13] This is the Water of contradiction, where the children of Israel strove with words against the Lord, and he was sanctified in them.

+++

What I'd like to discuss is Cades (Kadesh). The word means "consecrated".This took place at Meriba which means contention. This is where Moses sins against God. He does not have enough faith to follow exactly as God has said, instead he places his faith in his rod, and worse strikes the rock twice, thinking in case one isn't enough. Where the Almighty said to "order the rock to bring forth it's water". That place is Massah and Meiibah. Meribah means contention. Massah means testing. Then the Lord Almighty tells both Moses and Aaron they will not get in the promised land.

+++

Haydock's has this concerning Moses and Aaron's sin of lack of faith.

Ver. 8. The rod, with which Moses had wrought so many miracles, and which was placed in the tabernacle, ver. 9. It is called his rod, in the Hebrews v. 11. We do not find that the rod of Aaron, which budded, was used to work miracles. --- Thou. Septuagint, "you." Both Moses and Aaron concurred in the action, (ver. 12,) but Moses was the chief agent. (Calmet)

Ver. 10. Rock. Your frequent murmurs will stop the course of God's bounty. If God had not condemned the conduct of his ministers on this occasion, we could hardly find any reason to blame them. But the Fathers observe, that they betrayed a want of resolution, and intended to throw the blame upon the incredulity of the people, in case they failed of success. Because they exasperated his spirit, and he distinguished with his lips, Psalm cv. 33. See St. Chrysostom and St. Augustine on this psalm. They were not commanded to strike the rock at all; and when the water did not come at first, they struck again, (Calmet) being afraid lest they should now be taken for impostors. (Haydock) --- They speak as if the work was their own. --- Can we, &c. They exasperate the people, instead of promoting their conversion. In a word, they did not glorify God, (Calmet) by representing him as the sovereign holiness and mercy; and the God of unbounded power. (Haydock)

+++

First excuse my spelling on the Hebrew words. It seems everyone spells them differently and I don't know which is right. Now I see this as a pre-figurement of the Consecration of Russia. Moses and Aaron were supposed to tell the rock to bring forth it's water at Cades or Consecration, instead weak in faith they took it into their own hands and used Moses' staff.  This is similar to what all the Popes have done from Pope John XXIII. They took it into their own hands, and did not do the simplest request like Moses and Aaron.

It is interesting that the words in Hebrew are Cades, Massah, and Meribah, meaning Consecration, Contention, and Testing in English. These are pretty apt at describing what is going on here and now.  These are the broad strokes, and they came to me at Mass this morning. I wonder what you all see in this and if you can connect more dots. I know, I know we're conspiracy nuts.

If this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry, and move as wanted.

tim
Tim, are you on Facebook? If so, have you friended Fr Gruener? This all looks to be right up his alley. You should let him take a strike at it, pun intended.
Sounds like a close analogy to me Tim.
This pre-figurement seems reasonable, Tim.  If you do share this with Fr. Gruner, please share his thoughts.
I thought this had died ! Maybe later I'll see about sending it to him. I have withdrawn from facebook, the owner looks to me to be a psychopath. I have a sense for the crazy, they in real life are attracted to me.

tim