FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Gender Roles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

What is the appropriate understanding of masculinity and feminity and how do they relate, ie gender roles? Is the husband more like an absolute monarch than equal partner?
(03-11-2013, 11:42 AM)mortify Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

What is the appropriate understanding of masculinity and feminity and how do they relate, ie gender roles? Is the husband more like an absolute monarch than equal partner?
That is a really broad question for one thread.

Also, Absolute Monarchy is not Catholic. Monarchy, absolutely! But Absolute Monarchy makes the Monarch into a god.
Casti Connubii gives the best overall layout, I would start with that.
Captain and first officer.
(03-11-2013, 12:50 PM)Armor of Light Wrote: [ -> ]Captain and first officer.

:)
The husband is the king and the wife is supposed to be the queen.  She should defer to him and give him the final say, but he should not be a "micro manager" and obsess over everything she does.
Yes, the husband is the king.  His say is final unless obeying him means sinning.  The two are not equal, they're very different.  They are complimentary roles to fulfill a goal. 
According to Aristotle:
Quote:A husband and father, we saw, rules over wife and children, both free, but the rule differs, the rule over his children being a royal, over his wife a constitutional rule. For although there may be exceptions to the order of nature, the male is by nature fitter for command than the female, just as the elder and full-grown is superior to the younger and more immature. But in most constitutional states the citizens rule and are ruled by turns, for the idea of a constitutional state implies that the natures of the citizens are equal, and do not differ at all. Nevertheless, when one rules and the other is ruled we endeavour to create a difference of outward forms and names and titles of respect, which may be illustrated by the sayings of Amasis about his foot-pan. The relation of the male to the female is always of this kind.

(03-11-2013, 11:42 AM)mortify Wrote: [ -> ]Is the husband more like an absolute monarch than equal partner?

Not in my house.
(03-11-2013, 12:50 PM)Armor of Light Wrote: [ -> ]Captain and first officer.

If I marry, do I get to call my wife "Numba One?"
Pages: 1 2