FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Too Much Talk, Not Enough WALK! Let's GO, Folks!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Posted also in the Announcements sub-forum, with a different subject line:

Too much talk, not enough W-A-L-K!

OK, I'm fired up. In that sort of mood, folks (ah, the joys of being bipolar, ha!). Anyway, while waiting for this forum to get upgraded (if my friend doing that work still plans on finishing), I'm wanting to start doing things to get the TLM set up in parishes and to get folks moving toward Tradition. To that end:

1)  I am writing a page on how to get a TLM established in your parish if your'e not already so blessed, and

2) I've come up with business cards you can get from me for free by sending me a SASE (er, a Self-Addressed, Stamped Envelope) with postage enough to cover the weight of the number of cards you desire.  The purpose of these cards is to give them to folks you think might be interested in Tradition, and, even better, to leave them inside Catholic churches for folks to pick up. The cards are simple, with the FishEaters URL and a short message on the front, which reads:

[html]
Quote: Learn how to be a Catholic in the traditional way as encouraged by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI in his motu proprio "Summorum Pontificum." Everything you need to know is here! Live your Catholic faith in the rich, ancient, beautiful way our ancestors did,. Restore beauty and reverence to your sacramental life and learn how to enrich your family life with venerable Catholic traditions.
[/html]

On the back, it reads "I'm Catholic. In case of emergency, call a priest!" in plain old black and white.  I'd upload the visuals, but can't connect to my server with my FTP program right now for some weirdo reason. Keep the card back-side up in your wallet and increase the odds of receiving Unction if you get in a bad off situation.

ANYWAY, if anyone wants to join in on the particular mission of getting people to this website in order to get them thinking about Tradition and, when the page I'm writing is done, get them to try to establish TLMs in their parishes, just send a SASE with a note telling me how many cards you want.  The address to send your SASE and note to:

Tracy
736 North Bosart Avenue
Indianapolis, IN  46201-2955

Any other ideas to get things going in general (I will be posting this in the Catholic News sub-forum, too, so post there)? I'm sick of just talking and venting; let's ACT!

Great stuff, Vox!

As I indicated in a recent post, I have mixed feelings about how the FE forum actually pans out. Tragically, I wonder if it often ends up being more of a hindrance than a help, given the image it conveys of Catholic tradition ... (I have at least one interested outsider to this forum to be very alienated by what he found here and I am sure he is not alone)

HOWEVER as I also said, none of that is about you. What you are doing on the web and trying to do with the forum is altogether wonderful. God bless you.
(03-12-2013, 08:38 AM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]Great stuff, Vox!

As I indicated in a recent post, I have mixed feelings about how the FE forum actually pans out. Tragically, I wonder if it often ends up being more of a hindrance than a help, given the image it conveys of Catholic tradition ... (I have at least one interested outsider to this forum to be very alienated by what he found here and I am sure he is not alone)

HOWEVER as I also said, none of that is about you. What you are doing on the web and trying to do with the forum is altogether wonderful. God bless you.

Thanks for the kind words about me! And, believe me, I totally understand the qualms about the forum. I mean, I know there are seriously GREAT people here --  MOST of the folks here are great. But, whew, sometimes things get said that just make me just cringe and want to pull the forum DOWN. I so hate it...

I'm very curious to know what it was that your "interested outsider" saw here that made him feel alienated. And I'm even more wanting to know -- and terrified to find out -- how what he saw may have affected his view of 1) Christ's Church, and, 2) "the traditional movement."  Please, if you would, speak freely! And if you talk to me about it, please be specific! I really want to know. What you're describing is one of my greatest fears, and I want to do what I can to stop that sort of thing!
Vox,

A few years ago, I asked a former forum owner to include an explanation or at least a list of the corporal and spiritual works of mercy on the main site.  He said that he would forward the request to the appropriate person, but nothing ever came of it.

One of the problems we have is the idea that traditional Catholicism is just about a certain kind of religiosity.  If we don't embrace the whole teaching of the Church, including the Gospel, we may indeed be evil (considered as the privation of good).  At least some mention of the works of mercy and the Beatitudes is essential.

Otherwise, we become monstrous.
(03-12-2013, 09:01 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]Vox,

A few years ago, I asked a former forum owner to include an explanation or at least a list of the corporal and spiritual works of mercy on the main site.  He said that he would forward the request to the appropriate person, but nothing ever came of it.

One of the problems we have is the idea that traditional Catholicism is just about a certain kind of religiosity.  If we don't embrace the whole teaching of the Church, including the Gospel, we may indeed to be evil (considered as the privation of good).  At least some mention of the works of mercy and the Beatitudes is essential.

I agree 100%. 1000%. I've said it many times and will say it again:  Christ doesn't judge us by our intellects (aside from His considering "unto whomsoever much has been given" -- Luke 12:48); He judges us by our hearts. And there are some seriously c-c-c-old hearts out there in the Catholic world, including -- probably especially -- in  the trad world. I try to throw stuff all over the main site like I do in the last paragraph of the site's "statement of faith" (http://www.fisheaters.com/contact.html#faith -- little notes and articles and lines that might wake people up from the idea that merely knowing something is all that matters, as if life is a big philosophy test, and may the eggheadiest one win. It's like how some Prot believe that "believing in Jesus" is  all you have to do to be saved. Even SATAN knows Who Christ is! Big whoop! And we trads happen to not only know Who Christ is, but that He founded a Church on the rock of St. Peter, and that the human element's gone screwy in the past few years. But our knowing that won't get us into Heaven. In fact, it might help keep us OUT since so many of us KNOW so much but LOVE so little. We trads are the ones to whom not only "much" has been given, but to whom pretty much everything has been given! And we -- as a group -- are blowing it on BS.

And on the other hand, you've got Prots so messed up theologically, so WRONG about so MUCH -- who have some of the greatest hearts. I think some trads will be surprised when they see good ole Billy Bob, the salt of the earth, give you the shirt off his back Southern Baptist type sitting up there in Heaven because he knew how to love even though he knew less about theology than my cat -- while Mr. Theologically Brilliant Trad Boy who treats people like crap will be a little toasty. As I imagine things, based on what the Saints and Popes and Scriptures say, there will be a lot of shocked expressions on Judgment Day. "B--b-but I'm RIGHT!" won't cut it with Jesus. Life isn't an IQ test.

I bet they there's a lot of arguing about theology and ecclesiology in Hell.

BTW, http://www.fisheaters.com/lists.html#2  Sticking tongue out at you
Thanks, Vox.

When I was attending my local SSPX chapel, the priest warned us during a sermon that we can be very traditional . . . and go to hell.
This is wonderful!  It would be nothing short of miraculous to get a TLM in my town. 
(03-12-2013, 09:28 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]And on the other hand, you've got Prots so messed up theologically, so WRONG about so MUCH -- who have some of the greatest hearts. I think some trads will be surprised when they see good ole Billy Bob, the salt of the earth, give you the shirt off his back Southern Baptist type sitting up there in Heaven because he knew how to love even though he knew less about theology than my cat -- while Mr. Theologically Brilliant Trad Boy who treats people like crap will be a little toasty. As I imagine things, based on what the Saints and Popes and Scriptures say, there will be a lot of shocked expressions on Judgment Day. "B--b-but I'm RIGHT!" won't cut it with Jesus. Life isn't an IQ test.

Well Vox...this post prompted me to finally post on the forum. This will be my second post and unfortunately I can't bring anything to the table except questions. So........does this mean we are not to evangelize this particular SB? Besides defending the faith are we not called to proclaim the Truth? Obviously this is going to the Church's teaching on no salvation outside the Church (or is it salvation outside the Church?). I accept the teaching but do have a hard time understanding especially as it applies to evangelizing. How do we proclaim the Truth charitably? At some point we have to get to the nuts and bolts and say why someone needs to be Catholic, no?
The TLM is not going to happen in my parish, not now.  The parish has been on a sharp decline ever since the bishop assigned an elderly priest with an accent which most of the parish was unwilling to learn to understand, and it got worse with the new translation (old ladies crying in the pews and stuff).  Most months the collections have been well below what is needed weekly because the most affluent supporters left the parish to follow their favorite priests.  The CCD program dropped from more than 130 students to under 30 in a year's time. 

Adding a TLM or even ad orientem will only drive more people out right now.
(03-12-2013, 09:28 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2013, 09:01 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]Vox,

One of the problems we have is the idea that traditional Catholicism is just about a certain kind of religiosity.  If we don't embrace the whole teaching of the Church, including the Gospel, we may indeed to be evil (considered as the privation of good).  At least some mention of the works of mercy and the Beatitudes is essential.

I agree 100%. 1000%. I've said it many times and will say it again:  Christ doesn't judge us by our intellects (aside from His considering "unto whomsoever much has been given" -- Luke 12:48); He judges us by our hearts. And there are some seriously c-c-c-old hearts out there in the Catholic world, including -- probably especially -- in  the trad world. I try to throw stuff all over the main site like I do in the last paragraph of the site's "statement of faith" (http://www.fisheaters.com/contact.html#faith -- little notes and articles and lines that might wake people up from the idea that merely knowing something is all that matters, as if life is a big philosophy test, and may the eggheadiest one win. It's like how some Prot believe that "believing in Jesus" is  all you have to do to be saved. Even SATAN knows Who Christ is! Big whoop! And we trads happen to not only know Who Christ is, but that He founded a Church on the rock of St. Peter, and that the human element's gone screwy in the past few years. But our knowing that won't get us into Heaven. In fact, it might help keep us OUT since so many of us KNOW so much but LOVE so little. We trads are the ones to whom not only "much" has been given, but to whom pretty much everything has been given! And we -- as a group -- are blowing it on BS.

And on the other hand, you've got Prots so messed up theologically, so WRONG about so MUCH -- who have some of the greatest hearts. I think some trads will be surprised when they see good ole Billy Bob, the salt of the earth, give you the shirt off his back Southern Baptist type sitting up there in Heaven because he knew how to love even though he knew less about theology than my cat -- while Mr. Theologically Brilliant Trad Boy who treats people like crap will be a little toasty. As I imagine things, based on what the Saints and Popes and Scriptures say, there will be a lot of shocked expressions on Judgment Day. "B--b-but I'm RIGHT!" won't cut it with Jesus. Life isn't an IQ test.

I dont respond as much as many here do (some seem to respond too much IMO LOL) God bless 'em, but this struck a nerve. I too have noticed a coldness in many, not all but many, trads ,that seems to be lacking in prots, and I see its not just me that notices this. The question is why? Are they smug, proud, think they are elite or what? Like 5 years ago I was going thru a divorce, which I see now was for the best (also annuled after a discussion with a ST Pius X priest) but during this time while going to the TLM, and many knew of the situation, they would say have a nice day, knowing damn well how it was anything but. especially during that first Christmas, I noticed a real distance (Have a nice day, Christmas, but dont bother me. See you next week). On the other hand the local N.O. people were warm and supporting, as well as prot friends, something lacking with the trads. I have noticed this in many different ways with trads, many times, and its one reason I sometimes go to the N.O .( As well as the distance to the TLM)  What Vox said about prot Billy Bob may be true, I have trhought the same thing myself. How many trads would treat the poor, sick, homeless, like Mother Theresa would, bringing them somewhere to help them?  Remember the good samartain. In certain ways the trad movement, for lack of a better word, turns me off. Dont get me wrong, I love the TLM, grew up with it,  but some of those whom I see there are sorely lacking.

Now I have a wonderful wife , Catholic, we are married  in the Church of course, and if the local trads say have a nice day, I say, dont worry I will, you do the same Bubba LOL  In the case of going to the TLM, its the song thats right, some of the singers (those attending) are off. I must say the TLM priests are wonderful, however, this does not generaly apply to them.
Pages: 1 2