FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Last man of the Council
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pope Benedict XVI was the last priest that attended the Council. The next Pope will of the generations which came after it. He will have been raised in the new springtime waiting for the new pentecost. I picked that up from Voris' latest video, and it frightens me. We have not noticed this coming, and it is a fork in the road. Will he realize and turn back to what was or is this the real new deal.

tim
I think Steve Kellmeyer mentioned this on his blog a while ago, but there was a positive spin to it: there will not be another pope who will feel "personally involved" in VII. For future popes, it will be one more Council among the many others, to be judged on its merits. No more popes who spend time looking back nostalgically at some absurd golden moment when they all realized what they had never realized before (whatever that was). Whatever.
I can't get the video to work. if someone has it please post it.

tim
Your wish is ...

(03-12-2013, 08:27 AM)maldon Wrote: [ -> ]I think Steve Kellmeyer mentioned this on his blog a while ago, but there was a positive spin to it: there will not be another pope who will feel "personally involved" in VII. For future popes, it will be one more Council among the many others, to be judged on its merits. No more popes who spend time looking back nostalgically at some absurd golden moment when they all realized what they had never realized before (whatever that was). Whatever.
With all due respect, I find this to be very naive. Vatican II and its aftermath have been drummed into everyone as the New Springtime, New Pentecost, yadda yadda yadda. It did not all of a sudden cease in 1965; it got worse. The Novus Ordo was said to be "of Vatican II;" the 1983 Code "of Vatican II." Pretty much every single activity of the hierarchy is done in reference to Vatican II. Put another way, when was the last time you read something coming from the Holy See or a Diocesan Chancery which referenced Trent, Lateran IV, Nicea, or Vatican I and did not every mention Vatican II. I am not a betting man, but if I were...
Thanks Might 4 Right.

tim
(03-12-2013, 10:37 AM)Might_4_Right Wrote: [ -> ]Your wish is ...

:)
(03-12-2013, 10:39 AM)MRose Wrote: [ -> ]Put another way, when was the last time you read something coming from the Holy See or a Diocesan Chancery which referenced Trent, Lateran IV, Nicea, or Vatican I and did not every mention Vatican II. I am not a betting man, but if I were...

Trent was the focal point of all ecclesastical activity for much longer than this--it's what happens after ecumenical Councils.  I agree with you, though, that it probably won't be at least until the younger generations becomes bishops, etc (20 years or so). that it stops being a major focal point, if then--but who knows?

But to answer your question, probably the most notable was Pope Benedict XVI's encyclical, Spe Salvi.  Granted, it cites to the Catechism, but if you go to the cited sections none quote or reference Vatican II in any way.  They do reference among other things, the Councils of Lyons II, Lateran IV, Forence, and Trent,  as well as Pope Benedict XII.
Many of the Cardinals in the conclave were secretaries of the Bishops who attended Vatican 2 ,they may have attended too.