FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Ecumenical Call to Fast, Pray for Cardinals Called ‘Real Tragedy'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

http://christiannews.net/2013/03/12/warr...l-tragedy/

An evangelical ministry that has worked for over 20 years to share the Gospel with Roman Catholics is expressing concern over a ecumenical Tweet that author and megachurch pastor Rick Warren posted early this morning.

At 2:57 a.m., Warren posted the following call to his over 900 thousand followers on Twitter: “Join me today in fasting and prayer for the 115 Cardinals seeking God’s Will in a new leader.”

Since posting the Tweet, which was re-Tweeted over 170 times at press time and favorited over 80 times, has generated controversy.

“Thanks for your prayers!” one follower wrote. “This ain’t like picking Matthias!”

“Mr. Warren, what would the point be?” asked another. “Let’s pray for the heretics [to] tone down on their heresy?”

Mike Gendron of Proclaiming the Gospel Ministries of Dallas, Texas, told Christian News Network that he was particularly disappointed in Warren’s comments.

“I’m very concerned because what this does is it confused the average evangelical,” he said. “Right now, the Body of Christ doesn’t know whether to evangelize Roman Catholics or to join hands with them to go out and evangelize the world, [and] it’s because of people like Rick Warrren who either don’t know how exclusive the Gospel or grace is, or he’s not aware of the false and fatal Gospel of the Roman Catholic Religion.
Connect with Christian News

Gendron stated that Warren’s Tweet is harmful in two ways.

“Rick Warren is doing a disservice to the Roman Catholic Church because he is putting the Gospel off limits to the the Body of Christ for evangelizing Roman Catholics,” he explained. “And so, if they don’t hear the Gospel, they have no hope in ever being saved.”

“Ultimately, it’s a real tragedy,” he said, adding the second point, “And it’s unfortunate because we have a ministry that is dedicated to equipping and encouraging the Body of Christ to reach out to Roman Catholics, and its because of people like Rick Warren and other highly visible evangelicals that are signing unity accords with Roman Catholics.”

Gendron opined that many evangelicals are wrongfully being led to believe that Roman Catholicism is “a valid expression of Christianity.” He also advised that it is wrong  for Warren assert that it is “God’s will” that there be a pope in the first place.

“It goes against the Bible. It goes against Scriptural authority,” Gendron outlined. “In Matthew, Jesus said [not to] be like the Gentiles, which have a hierarchical structure to rule over people, and when you look at the Bible, the authority is Christ and His word.”

“Every evangelical church is to submit to the authority of Christ and His word, and the leadership of each church is made up of deacons and elders,” he continued. “In fact, Peter, who Catholics believe to be the first pope, declared himself to be a fellow elder. He never once  referred to himself as the head of the church, nor did he ever in Scripture have the authority to rule over anybody. He submitted to the Scriptures.”
Heretics calling the Church heretics??? This can only make sense to protestants.  ???

Pray for these people, for many of them, they have little to no idea of what they are talking about.
Hmmm...

“In Matthew, Jesus said [not to] be like the Gentiles, which have a hierarchical structure to rule over people, and when you look at the Bible, the authority is Christ and His word.”
---
“Every evangelical church is to submit to the authority of Christ and His word, and the leadership of each church is made up of deacons and elders,” he continued.

If Jesus condemns a hierarchical structure of leadership, why are evangelicals led by deacons and elders?

Of course, Jesus did not condemn such a hierarchy, but rather condemned using it for oppression rather than service--that's why the Pope is the servant of servants of God.  Note, He gives rules about how the first and greatest among them should act--which means there will be a first and greatest among them!

Mat.. 20:[25] But Jesus called them to him, and said: You know that the princes of the Gentiles lord it over them; and they that are the greater, exercise power upon them. [26] It shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be the greater among you, let him be your minister: [27] And he that will be first among you, shall be your servant. [28] Even as the Son of man is not come to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a redemption for many.

(03-12-2013, 04:13 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ]Mat.. 20:[25] But Jesus called them to him, and said: You know that the princes of the Gentiles lord it over them; and they that are the greater, exercise power upon them. [26] It shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be the greater among you, let him be your minister: [27] And he that will be first among you, shall be your servant. [28] Even as the Son of man is not come to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a redemption for many.

Don't quote actual Scripture to evangelicals; it only confuses them...
(03-12-2013, 04:15 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2013, 04:13 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ]Mat.. 20:[25] But Jesus called them to him, and said: You know that the princes of the Gentiles lord it over them; and they that are the greater, exercise power upon them. [26] It shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be the greater among you, let him be your minister: [27] And he that will be first among you, shall be your servant. [28] Even as the Son of man is not come to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a redemption for many.

Don't quote actual Scripture to evangelicals; it only confuses them...

Do you have any idea how true that is? It really shocks the senses how true that is in real life.
I had to read the entire artcle before I figured out the Evangelicals refer to THEMSELVES as teh "Body of Christ" - I get that but it's a wee tad arrogant methinks. Modern Catholics do that too but it's not quiiiite the same thing. Traditonal CAtholics are a little more careful with their terminology.
They really are yawn-tastic the protestants I mean. At least the Mormons had the decensy to invent a book to excuse their stupidity.
(03-12-2013, 04:18 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2013, 04:15 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]Don't quote actual Scripture to evangelicals; it only confuses them...

Do you have any idea how true that is? It really shocks the senses how true that is in real life.

Yes, yes I do...

I remember a story told to me by a friend who was "church-shopping."  He was checking out this evangelical church and had attended a Bible study there.  He had read the passages and had several questions about them (I think they were reading Genesis), but when he posed them, the others kept telling him, "Just read it again."  Apparently they were waiting for the Holy Spirit. 

Another traditional Catholic and I then told him how we would run a Bible study:  with a bunch of reference works from people a whole lot more intelligent and holy than we were...  :grin:
Quite true about the Mormons, Unum Sint. You could also say that about how the Jehovah's Witnesses "translated" (read transliterated) their bible....

(03-12-2013, 04:18 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]Another traditional Catholic and I then told him how we would run a Bible study:  with a bunch of reference works from people a whole lot more intelligent and holy than we were...  :grin:

That is why I'm on Fisheaters!
So many smart people here..
Pages: 1 2