FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Calm the heck down - and READ THIS : Pope Francis MAY not be what you think...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I think we may need to calm down.  There is too much unknown information and the vacuum is being filled with speculation.  Let us address some of the hyperbole out there in tradland:

He persecuted traditional orthodox priests in Argentina!
OK, like who? When? When these facts emerge, we can evaluate them.  Until then, consider this: published media reports do identify instances where he took on priests who refused to baptise babies born of unwed mothers (which is pretty screwy un-Christian behaviour, and a problem in Latin America). Now, if these are also the supposedly “orthodox” priests who got hammered, then maybe this is not such a bad thing.

SP was never implemented in Argentina and he hates the traditional liturgy!
Take a breath.  From what I have seen and read this may simply be a Bishop who – to put it bluntly – simply doesn’t care about liturgy, period.  Now, you may argue that this in and of itself is a really bad thing, etc., and you may be right – BUT not giving a fig about the liturgy is NOT at all the same thing as hating one traditional flavour of it.  Think about it.

He refused to wear the cape and stole and called himself the Bishop of Rome and he opposes the papcy and favours progressive decentralization!
Everything I have read is that this guy is described by the word “humble”.  Perhaps you could even say he takes a great deal of “pride” in his “humility”.  PERHAPS he simply dislikes “trappings of high office” and “high” liturgy and the like because he personally views it all as some kind of barrier between the people and their clergy. Maybe he uses “Bishop of Rome” because he thinks it is the least pretentious of all the titles and he by instinct always gravitates towards the title, thing, manner of dress, etc. that is perceived by him to be the least pretentious or the most humble.  If so, then this is purely an aesthetic preference.  It does NOT automatically follow therefore that he accepts the entire progressive decentralization mantra and all that would follow.  He may of course – but we don’t know that.  Yet.
He celebrated Hanukah.  It's right there on video.  He was prayed over by a Protestant.

Man is a modernist.  That is why he was the runner up last time, because the other camp of the church wanted him elected.

It is not rocket science.
(03-13-2013, 06:09 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]He celebrated Hanukah.  It's right there on video.  He was prayed over by a Protestant.

Man is a modernist.  That is why he was the runner up last time, because the other camp of the church wanted him elected.

It is not rocket science.

Aye!  Hope and Change!  Embrace it!  You deserve it!
I don't have time to refute everything, but really. Calling himself Holy Father would be pretentious?  
(03-13-2013, 06:09 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]Man is a modernist.
Ironically this is much like the hypocrisy that the Pope once spoke of concerning priests. I bet some people here would call our Lord Himself a modernist if they were to hear secondhand news of Him (like conversing with all sorts of sinners). I doubt anyone here has ever even meet His Holiness in person. No one has no right to judge a priest of God. How do you know his intent wasn't to convert those people? And, even if it is wasn't, who denied our Lord three times before our Lord finally gave him charge over His Church? Why don't we just focus on our own actions and consciences instead of others? Didn't our Lord command us to do such?
Look so far what we have heard and read does not seem encouraging, however actions speak louder than words. I am just going to take a wait and see approach. If he is whatever everybody is pertaining him to be, then well God has chosen to give us the Pope we deserve and not the one we need.
(03-13-2013, 06:13 PM)slewi Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have time to refute everything, but really. Calling himself Holy Father would be pretentious?  

Not to anyone here, no.  But to him? Dunno.  Maybe.  

Look - I am a very methodical person on the big stuff.  Let us look at the evidence.  What we know and have seen so far COULD be evidence of an arch-modernist who will take the Church over the cliff.  Possible.

BUT - this is not a reasonable, supportable conclusion on the basis of the known evidence.  More evidence - for or against this hypothesis - will come out soon enough.  Wait for it.
Is there evidence that he banned the TLM in his diocese?
The Gospel is traditional.  Pope Francis is likely to emphasize that aspect of tradition.  That emphasis is certainly a needed tonic for Fish Eaters.
(03-13-2013, 06:39 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]Is there evidence that he banned the TLM in his diocese?

I think the "evidence" most people point to is that fact that there are no TLM in his diocese.
Pages: 1 2 3 4