FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Francis to Cardinals: Don't wear your red today or lace surplices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Let's pray that traditions and things arent thrown out of the Church for so-called humility. Granted this article is from the New York Times. Does anyone else find it odd he paid for the hotel. I mean he used money from the Church and gave it back to the Church. Sounds a little silly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/15/world/....html?_r=0
For an audience that he will hold with cardinals on Friday, the pope instructed them to wear plain black cassocks, and not red with white lace surplices.

Has this already took place ?
Call me a modernist but I think this is fantastic. Many of the Cardinals think they are untouchable because of their red clerical dress. They need a reminder that their main duty is to serve the people like any other priest in the world.
Maybe, just maybe after reading the documents left in his apartment by Pope Emeritus Benedict, His Holiness felt He needed to bring the Dear Cardinals down a couple of notches. This may not be a bad thing. Patience Brothers.
(03-15-2013, 10:48 AM)rosie024 Wrote: [ -> ]Let's pray that traditions and things arent thrown out of the Church for so-called humility. Granted this article is from the New York Times. Does anyone else find it odd he paid for the hotel. I mean he used money from the Church and gave it back to the Church. Sounds a little silly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/15/world/....html?_r=0
At least he wants them to wear cassocks, rather than a black suit with a clerical collar. I kind of like the idea.
Do not be fooled by this.  While we may instinctively think that these things are signs of humility, the Church is a hierarchy from top to bottom, and this is no better illustrated by clerical garb.  The logical conclusion of this is your local priest leading the novus ordo ceremony in shorts and flip flops, so that you can see that he's just like you.  He's not.  And neither are the cardinals just like us, or just like priests (if they're bishops, at least).  There are ontological differences between us and our priests.  They have indelible marks on their soul (assuming they were validly ordained) that we do not have.  Clerical garb and 'extravagance' is indicative of a man's office.  IIRC, masons and revolutionists preferred kings who dressed like peasants (well, they preferred no king, but you get the point).  Doing away with the distinguishing dress of an office is not good.

Cassocks appeal to me. All this fancy shmantzy does not appeal to me at all. Give me Monsignor in a threadbare cassock where the red piping has faded nearly pink, but calls it like it is, and I'm a happy camper. Archbishop Bergoglio told his priests in a letter which is now public, gay marriage is a machination of the Devil. That is spitting out the truth.

tim
(03-15-2013, 01:10 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]Do not be fooled by this.  While we may instinctively think that these things are signs of humility, the Church is a hierarchy from top to bottom, and this is no better illustrated by clerical garb.  The logical conclusion of this is your local priest leading the novus ordo ceremony in shorts and flip flops, so that you can see that he's just like you.  He's not.  And neither are the cardinals just like us, or just like priests (if they're bishops, at least).  There are ontological differences between us and our priests.  They have indelible marks on their soul (assuming they were validly ordained) that we do not have.  Clerical garb and 'extravagance' is indicative of a man's office.  IIRC, masons and revolutionists preferred kings who dressed like peasants (well, they preferred no king, but you get the point).  Doing away with the distinguishing dress of an office is not good.

Eye-roll
(03-15-2013, 12:39 PM)CatholicLife Wrote: [ -> ]Call me a modernist but I think this is fantastic. Many of the Cardinals think they are untouchable because of their red clerical dress. They need a reminder that their main duty is to serve the people like any other priest in the world.

Call me a modernist too, but I agree. Did you hear that he asked his fellow clergymen in Argentina not to attend his inaugural Mass? But to take the money they would have saved for the trip and give it to the poor instead? I am loving it. He is certainly stirring things up. lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13