FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Reflections on 8 years of Benedict XVI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I haven't blogged in a while, but here are my thoughts on the legacy of Benedict XVI and what the new pontificate bodes for us. I also included a short review of the Saint Edmund Campion Missal/Hymnal, which would seem irrelevant to the greater topic at first but makes sense in the context of the article.

http://modernmedievalism.blogspot.com/20...-what.html
Some very reasonable reflections on Benedict and what the pontificate of Francis might have in store. While I believe that Benedict did make great progress towards restoring a sense of sacred in the Papal liturgies and promoting that same elsewhere, I feel that he failed to capitalize on it by making any changes to liturgical law. Imagine if he had actually required all seminarians to learn the Latin mass (which was one of the rumors that floated out after Summorum Pontificum.) Unfortunately, I think the guide that he was preparing for Priests to celebrate mass properly will never see the light of day now.

The thing about Pope Francis is not that he is a liturgical modernist who has some grand vision for a progressive liturgy. It is that he appears aliturgical. That is, as you said, he couldn't care a fig about chanted propers, ad orientem, or noble vestments. That shouldn't surprise you honestly, since you are from San Antonio. Surely you've seen how Hispanics can be morally conservative, and believe in the Gospel, while enduring the worst liturgies (the mariachi masses that are prevalent through out SA are a good example.) I would hope that he simply that Msgr. Marini take charge of the liturgy, but alas I fear it will not be so. Prelates like his Holiness Pope Francis tend to few liturgical study as something for the effete, accretions that draw away from the Gospel. Now we know this is incorrect (one only need read Sacrosanctum Concillium which says "the liturgy is the source and summit of all Christian life.")

As for the Campion Hymnal's I think they are a great product. They are a little text bookish compared to say a daily hand missal, but they are a great improvement over the little red booklets. I hope they will promote greater engagement by the congregation especially when it comes to sung masses.

(03-15-2013, 09:58 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: [ -> ]The thing about Pope Francis is not that he is a liturgical modernist who has some grand vision for a progressive liturgy. It is that he appears aliturgical. That is, as you said, he couldn't care a fig about chanted propers, ad orientem, or noble vestments. That shouldn't surprise you honestly, since you are from San Antonio. Surely you've seen how Hispanics can be morally conservative, and believe in the Gospel, while enduring the worst liturgies (the mariachi masses that are prevalent through out SA are a good example.)

True dat. I imagine the same can be said about SA's current archbishop, Garcia-Siller.
My assessment of B16 is that he was a perfect student of Hegel, a double thinker and a modernist who never significantly changed his spots.

He really did believe in an inclusive Baskin Robbins style Catholicism where Trads could have their trad Churches and Eastern Rites there Eastern Rite, progressives their Masonic temples and Charismatics their stages and performances and theatrics.  Many progressives see Tradition as a threat.  I don't think b16 does.  I think he felt is could exist in his menagerie and would eventually be absorbed in the march to point omega

I believe he gave the SP to Catholics in good faith, a piece of nostalgia to keep them happy.  And most of them love him for it.

However, I think he negotiated with the SSpX in bad faith.  The plan there was always to absorb and deconstruct, the SSPX, I think.  It makes sense, to me, because the SSPX would be an absolute pain in the tits for a modernist or even neo-conservative Pope to deal with.  It would be a painful stone in his shoe every single day if he gave them any wiggle room to criticise condemn or complain because they would see that as their mission.  They would never shut up and stay quiet, they are incapable of that.

B16 must have known he was going to retire and could leave this painful stone for the next Pope to deal with.  He is a thoughtful man and he did not just wake up last month and say to himself ' I cannot do this any longer'.  He knew when he started negotiating with +Fellay that if a deal was done he would be gone and retired before the ink was dry. The SSpX would have been in a tough position then.  Could have been a disaster.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that his reasons for wanting the SSpX back in the fold were unity, since he has a very weird understanding of unity and the umbrella that covers he ecumenical wide church anyway.  Why worry?  If Jews and Protestants can be saved living according to their conscience then the SSPX should be a shoe in.   Call the SSpX rigourist, annoying, arrogant, proud, they would admit to being most, if not all of them sometimes.  But absolutely nobody could accuse them of not acting in good conscience.  Conscience and love of the faith and Tradition of the Church is what defines them.  Their reason d'être

He also lied about the 3rd secret of Fatima being revealed in its entirety.
(03-15-2013, 10:06 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2013, 09:58 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: [ -> ]The thing about Pope Francis is not that he is a liturgical modernist who has some grand vision for a progressive liturgy. It is that he appears aliturgical. That is, as you said, he couldn't care a fig about chanted propers, ad orientem, or noble vestments. That shouldn't surprise you honestly, since you are from San Antonio. Surely you've seen how Hispanics can be morally conservative, and believe in the Gospel, while enduring the worst liturgies (the mariachi masses that are prevalent through out SA are a good example.)

True dat. I imagine the same can be said about SA's current archbishop, Garcia-Siller.

Honestly, I think he has done a decent job. I've only been to the Cathedral once since I move to SA and the Archbishop was celebrating. He chanted all the prayers (including the Roman canon) and all the Ordinary chants were in Latin/Greek. The also had instituted lectors (seminarians I guess) in Cassock and Surplice  doing all the readings. I wasn't the mass OF mass I've been to, but it was probably the best I've seen a  bishop do in a while. Compared to what Fiorenza did in Houston when I was there it was great.
That was a good blog post, thank you.

I'm a cradle Catholic, but I was Confirmed the year Pope Benedict XVI was installed as pope. . . I'm sure there are a lot of young people who share your sentiments of gratitude toward him.
Good post, thanks!

Also, these Hymnals look fantastic, thanks for writing about them too.
(03-15-2013, 09:40 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't blogged in a while, but here are my thoughts on the legacy of Benedict XVI and what the new pontificate bodes for us. I also included a short review of the Saint Edmund Campion Missal/Hymnal, which would seem irrelevant to the greater topic at first but makes sense in the context of the article.

http://modernmedievalism.blogspot.com/20...-what.html

Smile
Real quick, who said or where is the post (in the last few days) where someone mentioned how Pope Benedict didn't think the Holy Spirit had a direct decision-making act in the process of pope selection?
(03-16-2013, 01:25 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]Real quick, who said or where is the post (in the last few days) where someone mentioned how Pope Benedict didn't think the Holy Spirit had a direct decision-making act in the process of pope selection?

Did he indeed say that? I'd be interested in seeing it too.
Pages: 1 2