FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Swift Vitriolic Backlashing Against Pope Francis Questioners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So! 

It seems that another development among Catholics in the Traditional Catholic community is...

...swift, vitriolic backlashing against those who have questions about the new pope's background. 

Here's a posterboy, one of many:

(03-16-2013, 09:32 AM)JustaServant Wrote: [ -> ]I look at this forum, and it is truly pathetic to me that any of you are trying to pass yourselves off as anything remotely spiritual let alone Catholic. You bash the new Pope, you bash the old Popes, you bash a Franciscian Friar on another forum, in posts that come dangerously close to libel.
Is this what Traditionalism is? I'd be better off a Baptist if this forum is the bastion of Catholic Tradition Ya'll claim it is.
I love the TLM. I love Catholic Tradition.
But this forum is not representative of anything remotely Catholic.
For the good of her soul, the owner of this pathetic boil on the butt of the internet should shut it down.
The rest of you should pray to remove the dark forces destroying your souls.
Ban me if you wish, I truly don't care.

There will be more to come, I am sure.  I wouldn't be surprised if this division becomes deeper and deeper.  My, oh, my, how the Devil has done a wickedly fantastic job in dividing his enemies.

Meh.
In fact, this all makes me think about Fisheaters. 

I joined around 2009, I believe.  My impression is that this forum mostly existed during the reign of Pope Benedict XVI.  So, Fisheaters could be seen as a "Pope Benedict XVI forum," as it were.  Yet...what will this forum resemble in a few months after all this?  Can the forum survive?  I wonder. 

The election of the new pontiff may very well be a paradigm shift for most Catholic forums...I bet. 
The person who posted that is someone who crossed over from CAF to say it.  I don't think that site is representative of the Traditional Catholic community.
(03-16-2013, 04:18 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]The person who posted that is someone who crossed over from CAF to say it.   I don't think that site is representative of the Traditional Catholic community.

Well, we could look at this in the spectrum of either the Fisheaters forum, or we could speak of it in terms of the entire Traditional Catholic movement as a whole. 
(03-16-2013, 04:22 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-16-2013, 04:18 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]The person who posted that is someone who crossed over from CAF to say it.   I don't think that site is representative of the Traditional Catholic community.

Well, we could look at this in the spectrum of either the Fisheaters forum, or we could speak of it in terms of the entire Traditional Catholic movement as a whole. 

I suppose that's something that we might find out more about after Sunday when all the trads will have had time to discuss, in person, with all the other people who attend their Masses.  I would be interested in knowing what the reaction is of people who, unlike me, do not spend all their time on internet forums.
Questions about the new pope and his past career are one thing, and completely understandable.

Angry rants about what the pope has not yet done during his reign, or what he will [maybe] do because of his past career, not so much.  Sometimes it seems like people think that Pope Francis' papal career is all said and done.
(03-16-2013, 04:17 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]In fact, this all makes me think about Fisheaters. 

I joined around 2009, I believe.  My impression is that this forum mostly existed during the reign of Pope Benedict XVI.  So, Fisheaters could be seen as a "Pope Benedict XVI forum," as it were.  Yet...what will this forum resemble in a few months after all this?  Can the forum survive?  I wonder. 

The election of the new pontiff may very well be a paradigm shift for most Catholic forums...I bet. 

Well, I joined well over two years before the end of John Paul II's reign. I assume from the fact that the earliest registrations on this 'incarnation' of FE are a large group who joined on 3 June 2005, that there was some sort of community before that, tho' I have no idea how long it had been in existence.

My point is that FE has survived ups and downs over the years, including the non-specifically Catholic 'Lauragate', and I'm not worried about it's survival. Smile
I can't remember when I arrived here, but it was before 2005. There have been waves of guerilla trads wanting to change Fisheaters but it hasn't happened. I remember early on I was pm'ed to present in a thread on "proof of God". I must've have been considered a modernist, as the tone of the pm was arch. I duly went and answered as I was taught long ago, that you can Not prove God a priori, but if you look out the window you must be stupid if you can not see He exists and created the world. The thread went on for days and I had to defend myself, and not being a theologian I was over my skis. I lowered the boom and said that Faith is Always a gift from God and can never be reasoned and sent my number one opponent scurrying. You see with all his vast theology he had no idea that was Truth, nor did he understand one can Not reason oneself into belief.  As a throwaway as I left I was told I really should study the formal proofs. I thumbed my nose and said no thanks.

You see "questioners" would be humble searching for answers but what we have is bitter venom spewing out of mouths to change others minds, just like the pm I received long ago. I went to the SD forum and I noticed only three topics like the dozens posted here. Makes me think they sent troops here, because it's quiet there.

tim 
(03-16-2013, 05:46 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]I can't remember when I arrived here, but it was before 2005. There have been waves of guerilla trads wanting to change Fisheaters but it hasn't happened. I remember early on I was pm'ed to present in a thread on "proof of God". I must've have been considered a modernist, as the tone of the pm was arch. I duly went and answered as I was taught long ago, that you can Not prove God a priori, but if you look out the window you must be stupid if you can not see He exists and created the world. The thread went on for days and I had to defend myself, and not being a theologian I was over my skis. I lowered the boom and said that Faith is Always a gift from God and can never be reasoned and sent my number one opponent scurrying. You see with all his vast theology he had no idea that was Truth, nor did he understand one can Not reason oneself into belief.  As a throwaway as I left I was told I really should study the formal proofs. I thumbed my nose and said no thanks.

You see "questioners" would be humble searching for answers but what we have is bitter venom spewing out of mouths to change others minds, just like the pm I received long ago. I went to the SD forum and I noticed only three topics like the dozens posted here. Makes me think they sent troops here, because it's quiet there.

tim   

Red is mine.

What evidence do you have to make this charge?
[Image: willy_zps16d4dd7b.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5