FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Francs' staff/cross...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought I heard on the tv that Pope Francis is using the cross /staff (I'm not sure the proper name here) of Pope Pius IX. I've tried to confirm this through searching the web but have found nothing. Can anyone confirm this, or prove it wrong for me. I may have heard incorrectly.

If true, I think it would be very interesting, since Pope Pius IX was supposed to be a liberal Cardinal but laid the hammer down on the liberals once assuming the papacy.

Thanks!
Yes, he used it at his first mass. He also prayed before the tomb of Saint Pius V.
Benedict also used it for most of his papacy. I am sure that is why Francis has used it as opposed to a Pius IX
(03-17-2013, 03:27 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: [ -> ]Benedict also used it for most of his papacy. I am sure that is why Francis has used it as opposed to a Pius IX

I must have heard something wrong...I thought the commentator said he opted for a different cross, using Pope Pius IX's instead of Pope Benedict's.

Anyway, it will still be interesting if he keeps using it.
(03-17-2013, 03:17 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, he used it at his first mass. He also prayed before the tomb of Saint Pius V.

I heard about the prayer at the tomb of Paul V - another interesting sign.