FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Pope and the Anglicans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Granted, this occurred while he was a Cardinal.  Still the "benefit" of a doubt is shrinking fast:
Quote: The new Pope has reportedly said the Church universal needs Anglicans and that the Ordinariate is "quite unnecessary".

"I have been with him on many occasions and he always makes me sit next to him and invariably makes me take part and often do what he as Cardinal should have done. He is consistently humble and wise, outstandingly gifted yet a common man. He is no fool and speaks out very quietly yet clearly when necessary."

Bp Venables added that in a conversation with Cardinal Bergoglio, now Pope Francis, the latter made it clear that he values the place of Anglicans in the Church universal.

"He called me to have breakfast with him one morning and told me very clearly that the Ordinariate was quite unnecessary and that the Church needs us as Anglicans.

SOURCE
(03-17-2013, 03:26 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]Granted, this occurred while he was a Cardinal.  Still the "benefit" of a doubt is shrinking fast:
Quote: The new Pope has reportedly said the Church universal needs Anglicans and that the Ordinariate is "quite unnecessary".

"I have been with him on many occasions and he always makes me sit next to him and invariably makes me take part and often do what he as Cardinal should have done. He is consistently humble and wise, outstandingly gifted yet a common man. He is no fool and speaks out very quietly yet clearly when necessary."

Bp Venables added that in a conversation with Cardinal Bergoglio, now Pope Francis, the latter made it clear that he values the place of Anglicans in the Church universal.

"He called me to have breakfast with him one morning and told me very clearly that the Ordinariate was quite unnecessary and that the Church needs us as Anglicans.

SOURCE

I hear you, James. Every day I wake up hoping something will be better, or there will be some good indications, something. And pretty much every day it gets worse.

I am realizing how comfortable I was. I have not been Catholic all that long, though I "leaned Traditional" when I converted and it did not take long to just be a Traditional Catholic, and I never really bought the "Benedict XVI is a secret trad" thing (see, for example, Ars Orandi's recent article on his ecumenism), but the prospect that we are headed towards a Montini/Wojtyla situation, and perhaps much worse in some regards, is hitting me like a 2x4.
Well, that is the benefit of facing this instead of making excuses.  We aren't going to get contraception, or women priests, or gay marriage blessings.  At worst we are probably in for a repeat of JPII, with Pope Francis scraping before the World apologizing for evil Catholicism and him launching scandalous ecumenical initiatives.  In that case, say your rosary and be grateful for your TLM.

Evidently there were sodomite Popes in the past, and Popes that had children.  It must have been rough on those Catholics also.  So brace yourself for what MAY come.
Anglican prelates also said Pope Leo XIII had confided in them that he would be shortly declaring their holy orders to be valid!
Yeah S1776, but still let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
(03-17-2013, 03:51 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah S1776, but still let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

That's my policy! It just seems many have given up on hope and are dismissing hope as the abode of irrational rather than a theological virtue. 
My experience has been the opposite.  I witnessed a solid N.O. priest back in my neo-Catholic days descend into utter despair after one too many abuses.  I believe making excuses can lead to that.

If this Pope sucks, then that will be that.  We'll have another bad Pope.  I never considered Pope Benedict a good pope.  100 times better than JP II, but not a good pope.  Many TRADS seem like they were shocked when he abdicated.  Using prudence, I saw an ineffective Pope and didn't get all worked up when he left.

If Pope Francis apologizes to Jews because Catholics caused the holocaust, it won't surprise me much.  I really won't care.  The plan stays the same.  Hold to Tradition and wait until the Lord relents.
(03-17-2013, 04:08 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]My experience has been the opposite.  I witnessed a solid N.O. priest back in my neo-Catholic days descend into utter despair after one too many abuses.  I believe making excuses can lead to that.

I am not sure how closely you have been watching trad fora, but there has been more than one person saying they are thinking of going Orthodox because of Francis. 

I am also particularly confused by everyone suddenly acting like Pope Benedict was Saint Pius X. 

But, yes you're right about "If this Pope sucks, then that will be that.  We'll have another bad Pope."
The Orthodox have a SERIOUS problem with divorce.  They aren't just schismatic.  They are heretics.  Someone intelligent enough to come to Tradition would have a problem with that.

The logical destination for a despairing Catholic is atheism or agnosticism.  Protestantism is so rife with contradiction, Trads won't end up there.

It is best to read Vat. I and not overdo infallibility.  I have serious problems with JP II, Benedict, and for now Francis when he was a cardinal.  And yet I went to the N.O. for Mass today because I'm on the road, and that is the law.

Let's not discuss Sede in respect for forum rules, but I'll say few Trads would end up there due to the long "vacancy".
I wish that were true, but I know some trads that have become Protestants. 

My point was simply that the reaction to Francis on trad-fora has been one more of despair than pollyana-like hope. 
Pages: 1 2