FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A few considerations about Pope Francis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
He is more of a politician than Benedict XVI.
He knows what it feels like to deal populist leftist presidents that see you as their enemy, economic crises, shanty town people and Union leaders.
In that way he is also more like JP II who had to deal with the communist rulers of Poland, and later helped Lech Walesa.

I think he was chosen for two reasons, he is an outsider (someone that had no role in the Vatican political intrigues) with experience in dealing with politics, hard times and corruption, and because latin america is losing its catholics either to secularism or to pentecostal evangelicals. Brazil went from being close to 100% catholic to 65% catholic, in Central America pentecostals are close to 30% of the population in some countries. Uruguay is close to being half atheist, as much as former soviet block countries.

The government of Argentina has a lot of newspapers, channels, radios, which are in private hands but with few viewers or buyers, so, they get their money from the State, not their success, and are in fact controlled by the State (Cristina Kirchner). That media after the election started a campaign against the new Pope accusing him of surrendering 2 jesuit priests to the dictatorship we had in the 70s, that campaign only ended after they realized that being against the Pope would make them lose votes.
The campaign also happened before the papal conclave, they sent to some cardinals a report with those accusations, to make sure that Bergoglio would not be chosen as Pope, since they would not want to choose someone with a "dark past" or scandal. The report did not mention that he was cleared by a judge from any guilt in that issue, and that he reconciled himself with the jesuit priest that is still alive (the other one died oof natural causes). He also helped a lot of people save their life in the 70s.

The man in charge of the campaign, Horacio Verbitsky, is a former terrorist, and a secret services agent, a very perverse man, he gets paid to start political operations in the press against enemies of the president (like the Pope, former cardinal Bergoglio). There are many other things which are said of him (that he saved his life in the 70s because he surrendered friend-terrorists to the military junta, or that he is an MI6 double agent) but It is impossible to be sure on that.

My greatest fear with regards to the liturgy is that he will want to fight fire with fire in Latin America, like Catholic Charismatics vs Talking in voices pentecostals.
Yes, Argentina is a battleground, not a bastion, of the Church. Apart from the increasing anti-Christian tenor of the government and society (homosexual marriage, government-paid "sex change," etc.), within the church a 2008 joint study of the Latin American episcopal conferences found that though the region as a whole had a 6% increase in seminarians over 2000-2005, Argentina in that same period had a 13% decline. Argentina also posted significant losses in the religious life. The report's head called it a continuation of a "chronic problem," so I can't say that His Holiness as archbishop of Buenos Aires influenced the situation one way or the other; maybe someone with closer experience can elaborate what the situation is like today. But in any case, he has certainly not been sheltered from the problems that he now must address on a global scale.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1043071-cae-e...religiosas
I have little knowledge of Argentina nor the new Pope Francis. I have seen one thing which gives me hope. Unlike our Bishops in the US he does not frame his opposition to an immoral proposition like "gay marriage" in political terms. He says it is diabolical. This small detail is telling me he hasn't sold out to the modern way.
If Pope Francis keeps framing his pastoral admonitions in language like that emphasizing sins and virtues, and pointing out their source, as he does, even concerning the poor, it'll be like a dog whistle. Those still with Faith will hear it and the rest won't get it.  Pope Benedict XVI may have been prophetic saying we must get small, and Pope Francis will bind together those that believe and those that do not will split.In short we don't have political or psychological problems in the Church, Satan has invaded the Church.

tim
Amen Tim Well Said!!
i agree with Timoose
My understanding is that he used his influence to get those priests released. He got Jorge Videla's personal chaplain to call in sick and went there himself to say mass for the general's household. While there he pleaded and begged personally for the lives of those two priests. Those leftists don't like him because he doesn't spout out their party line on cue. 
This article in Spanish is very interesting, I really recommend it for you to put it on the google translator.

http://www.cronista.com/economiapolitica...-0002.html

Especially this part

Caselli utilizó su escaso italiano para introducir a Cafiero en el lado oscuro de la Curia, que ya está en jaque por la agenda secreta de Francisco, conjurado con determinados cardenales de Estados Unidos, América Latina y Europa para terminar con la corrupción del Banco Vaticano y los múltiples casos de pedofilia que asolaron a las iglesias del mundo. Cafiero de la mano de Caselli llegó a Tarcisio Bertone, secretario de Estado de Benedicto XVI, y a Ángelo Sodano, secretario de Estado de Juan Pablo II, ambos rozados por los expedientes secretos que revelan el encubrimiento de presuntas operaciones de lavado de dinero sucio y de la actuación de miembros de la Iglesia que aprovecharon su influencia pastoral para seducir a niños indefensos. Cafiero, aconsejado por Caselli, escuchaba la liturgia de Bertone y Sodano, sacaba sus propias conclusiones, y escribía cables secretos que enviaba al canciller Timerman.