FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Last Years of Pope Paul VI (1974-1978)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Interesting documentary which mentions:

- Giovanni Franconi, ex-abbot of the basilica of St. Paul's Outside the Walls
- Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
- Murder of Aldo Moro, close friend of Paul VI
Some more info on Aldo Moro

Aldo Moro (Italian pronunciation: [ˈaldo ˈmɔːro]; September 23, 1916 – May 9, 1978) was an Italian politician and the 39th Prime Minister of Italy, from 1963 to 1968, and then from 1974 to 1976. He was one of Italy's longest-serving post-war Prime Ministers, holding power for a combined total of more than six years.
A leader of Democrazia Cristiana (Christian Democracy, DC), Moro was considered an intellectual and a patient mediator, especially in the internal life of his party. He was kidnapped on March 16, 1978 by the Red Brigades (BR), a Marxist-Leninist terrorist organization, and killed after 55 days of captivity.

Boy that jogged my memory. I remember the entire cast from Pope Paul VI to Aldo Moro.

tim
Even better...there's a similar documentary of the last years of His Holiness Pope Pius XII. His documentary makes me very sad, especially at the end where it shows his funeral procession. The music that is on it, coupled with watching that while knowing what is going to happen to the Church only a few years after makes me very depressed whenever I see it.

(If I didn't post the video correctly just go to Youtube and type in “The Last Years of Pope Pius XII” and select the video by Darsham.)
My pastor then at the reign of Pope Pius XII was a Bishop and he was back and forth to Roma. He let us know through the Sisters that taught us, when Pope Pius XII used the telephone, a novelty in Roma then, the recipient would take the call on his knees. He was truly Angelic Pastor.

Simultaneously the last World War had put the end to any vestige of any Monarchies in Europe. The days of Monarchs of Christendom were over and done, caput ! Pope Pius XII was instrumental in starting a Christian party in Italy after the war so the Papacy might have some future influence in state affairs. In short the writing was on the wall, the political apparatus of Kings and Courts, Popes and Emperors was all gone for ever.

Much of the problems in the Church in lots of ways come straight from those two World Wars and the aftermath of change. Sidestepping Vatican II, the future Church would need to find new ways to deal with the end of European Christendom, and the rise of the American Power to Empire of a New World Order. Christ's Church had to deal with this world's biggest temporal power or it would be abandoning it's mission.

On the first floor opposite to Mother Superior's office in an obscure Catholic Grammar School hung a huge picture of Pope Pius XII. When the Pope passed it was taken down and replaced with the painting of St. Andrew, the Patron of that school, which had been in storage. Us kids in the upper grades, those that were in rooms on that floor, quickly murmured an observation to each other. It was that we were relieved because the one of Pius XII seemed to follow us with his eyes putting all of us on edge.It was if the picture of him could not just see each of us but see right into our souls. Scary for a twelve year old, especially when waiting in the single file for the morning lavatory break..

tim
I was only able to find one song from that Paul VI documentary.

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE REST WERE!!!!!

I can't find it!
(12-29-2013, 12:19 AM)Oatmeal Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks.
I think Catholic Europe was in serious trouble long before WW2 and its aftermath. Lately I have been reading Cardinal Manning's book "The True Story of the Vatican Council". This is what he has to say of the crowned Catholic heads of Europe. The discussion was provoked by those who sought to seat some of the Catholic sovereigns in the Council itself :
"As to the reference to the Catholic sovereigns, it is
to be remembered that if certain sovereigns at this
day continue to be Catholic, it is as individuals, not
as sovereigns. The governments are not Catholic.
The concordats which bound them to the Holy See
have been abolished, not by the Holy See, but by
their own revolutions, or by their legislatures, or by
their liberal parties. Catholic sovereigns, therefore,
no longer represent Catholic kingdoms ; they have
declared their states as such to have no religion, and
have withdrawn their public laws from the unity of
the Church and faith, and from obedience to the
Holy See. To invite them to sit in an (Ecumenical
Council would be like inviting the public authorities
of the United States to sit in the British Parliament"

p. 21, The True Story of the Vatican Council by Cardinal Manning.
1877 Available here as a pdf : https://archive.org/details/a592027600mannuoft

C.
That coincides with what Laszlo had told me. Europe was modernist since the least few decades of the 1800's. Which then explains why Pope Leo XIII had the "vision", and why Our Lady came to Fatima. It also is the time of the warning to America concerning "american heresy". Adding in both wars and my pea sized brain says conspiracy headed by the only one capable Satan.

tim
(12-29-2013, 01:53 AM)Cetil Wrote: [ -> ]I think Catholic Europe was in serious trouble long before WW2 and its aftermath. Lately I have been reading Cardinal Manning's book "The True Story of the Vatican Council". This is what he has to say of the crowned Catholic heads of Europe. The discussion was provoked by those who sought to seat some of the Catholic sovereigns in the Council itself :
"As to the reference to the Catholic sovereigns, it is
to be remembered that if certain sovereigns at this
day continue to be Catholic, it is as individuals, not
as sovereigns. The governments are not Catholic.
The concordats which bound them to the Holy See
have been abolished, not by the Holy See, but by
their own revolutions, or by their legislatures, or by
their liberal parties. Catholic sovereigns, therefore,
no longer represent Catholic kingdoms ; they have
declared their states as such to have no religion, and
have withdrawn their public laws from the unity of
the Church and faith, and from obedience to the
Holy See. To invite them to sit in an (Ecumenical
Council would be like inviting the public authorities
of the United States to sit in the British Parliament"

p. 21, The True Story of the Vatican Council by Cardinal Manning.
1877 Available here as a pdf : https://archive.org/details/a592027600mannuoft

C.
It's sad that after VII, concordats were abolished at the behest of the Holy See. Religious liberty at it"s finest.
Pages: 1 2