FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Question...about Pope Francis I and the Jesuits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have heard it bantered about that Francis I was a Jesuit. We all know that they take vows of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience, but they also take a vow of Loyalty to the Pope. Additionally, when a Jesuit becomes a Bishop, or higher, he is said to no longer be held to those loyalty vows and must become loyal to his new office. I think that is why the "Black Pope" is envisioned as a Black Pope because he still wears the cassock and while leader of the Society, is still but a priest.

What then of a Jesuit who is Pope in fact?

It is unheard of, I think. Does this new Pope now become the in fact leader of the society? Could this be why many "Protestant"  writers are calling him the Black Pope of Nostradamus? I know...I don't hold much water in the Nostradamus 'prophecies', but it does raise an interesting question, does it not? Is Francis I the leader of the Society now...a kind of 'double leader'?

Just wondering....
Not really. The Jesuits still have their own Superior General.  The Pope is only head of the Jesuits in as much as he has full, immediate and supreme jurisdiction over everyone in the Church.  Of course, the conspiracy nutters are still going to go crazy over the idea of a Jesuit pope, so don't pay then any attention.

-Steve
(03-23-2013, 09:35 AM)Zedta Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard it bantered about that Francis I was a Jesuit. We all know that they take vows of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience, but they also take a vow of Loyalty to the Pope. Additionally, when a Jesuit becomes a Bishop, or higher, he is said to no longer be held to those loyalty vows and must become loyal to his new office. I think that is why the "Black Pope" is envisioned as a Black Pope because he still wears the cassock and while leader of the Society, is still but a priest.

What then of a Jesuit who is Pope in fact?

It is unheard of, I think. Does this new Pope now become the in fact leader of the society? Could this be why many "Protestant"  writers are calling him the Black Pope of Nostradamus? I know...I don't hold much water in the Nostradamus 'prophecies', but it does raise an interesting question, does it not? Is Francis I the leader of the Society now...a kind of 'double leader'?

Just wondering....

The greater concern is about this promise:

"I will never strive or ambition, not even indirectly, to be chosen or promoted to any prelacy or dignity in or outside the Society; and I will do my best never to consent to my election unless I am forced to do so by obedience to him who can order me under penalty of sin (Constitutions S.J., Part X, N°6 [817])."

Though when exceptions are made to make one a bishop and/or cardinal, they loose active and passive voices in the Society and are reduced to nominal Jesuits. Can't imagine what it means when one is elevated to the Papacy.