FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I'm finding myself more and more discouraged with society recently.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
With what seems like a full sprint towards being as bad as possible. I can't even make as much as a squeak about my opinion when it comes to gay marriage or abortion or whatever before I'm being interrogated by a bunch of people on my Facebook, which makes me seriously want to close it (and I probably would have done that a long time ago were I still not a college student with most of the ways I know about things being through Facebook). I get a hard time on various things from my family, whether the atheistic side, or the liberal cafeteria Catholic, or the Protestant side. I even get a hard time from other Catholics at times when I express my desire for a truly Catholic society. I seriously just don't know what to do, aside from having compiled books and books to read that I believe will help me increase my faith and understanding of Catholicism in general, in a hope that it will distract me from the mess we live in. I forgive them all and I'm not really even angry, I'm just sad and frustrated. Especially with the hypocrites who call me a bigot or intolerant or whatever when I voice my opinion about something. I want to say "takes one to know one" or something along those lines, but I feel that won't exactly help the situation. This may sound like it's not coherently connected, but I'm kind of just typing as I think. I'm also a medievalist, so I've developed this longing for much of that era, even though that is HIGHLY unlikely to happen.

Waiting for my Rule of St. Benedict to come in too, I'm hoping to apply much of it to my life. I have this desire to be a farmer when I'm older and hopefully combining that with the rule will probably distract me from the ills of society in the future.
I'm feeling much the same way. This is all I've got :pray2:
(03-26-2013, 08:26 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]I'm feeling much the same way. This is all I've got :pray2:

Yeah, and I'm SO glad I've gotten myself going to the TLM too. The TLM is something else that I can't even explain, when I feel all but dead at most NOs I go to (except my parish back home, which does BY FAR the best NO I have ever witnessed). I should start praying the Little Office and other such things.
I hear you. I can't say a thing to anybody about anything without them jumping down my throat. My own sister and mother were simultaneously yelling at me for my stance on gay unions the other day. I am starting to feel socially paralyzed. I suppose all one can do is educate themselves, pray for the grace to stay charitable when things get heated, and lastly not cower in the face of adversity. Such is life..
We are strangers in a strange land.  Our home is elsewhere.  Perfectly normal to feel homesick every now and again.
I even was pro-gay union, but half the time I get accosted with a response like "if you are pro-gay union, then why are you not pro-gay marriage" or with remarks about the state of marriage to begin with, which has really made me think about the status of marriage, and society in general, these days. It's all a huge joke. And I kind of feel bad because I hate to blame such a large group of people, but half the time I seriously want to blame the Protestant Reformation for at least being partially the cause. As I said, I'm a medievalist, and I study (numerous topics about) Medieval and Byzantine history, just got a minor in that and I'm writing my senior thesis on the Cistercians in the Middle Ages. I've dealt with numerous Protestants. All I have been able to formulate is that their basic theology is the cause, or at least one big cause, of many of society's ills these days.
(03-26-2013, 09:00 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]We are strangers in a strange land.  Our home is elsewhere.  Perfectly normal to feel homesick every now and again.

Now that you phrase it like that, that is probably how I'm feeling. Homesick for a different world...and of course, Heaven, but a different Earthly world too.
(03-26-2013, 09:02 PM)Farmer88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-26-2013, 09:00 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]We are strangers in a strange land.  Our home is elsewhere.  Perfectly normal to feel homesick every now and again.

Now that you phrase it like that, that is probably how I'm feeling. Homesick for a different world...and of course, Heaven, but a different Earthly world too.

Well, I was really referring to Heaven since that's the only other world there is.  Unless you end up in the other place, and I'm not too homesick for that one.  I sweat easily.
(03-26-2013, 09:05 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I was really referring to Heaven since that's the only other world there is.  Unless you end up in the other place, and I'm not too homesick for that one.  I sweat easily.

I meant a better, Catholic world on Earth, not Hell, hahaha. I'm not homesick of Hell, I'm terrified of Hell.
(03-26-2013, 09:06 PM)Farmer88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-26-2013, 09:05 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I was really referring to Heaven since that's the only other world there is.  Unless you end up in the other place, and I'm not too homesick for that one.  I sweat easily.

I meant a better, Catholic world on Earth, not Hell, hahaha. I'm not homesick of Hell, I'm terrified of Hell.

Me too. 

A Catholic world on earth would be nice, but I think someone is going to have to hit the reset button on the current world.  It's too far gone I'm afraid.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14