FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: No license, No gay marriage problem!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(03-27-2013, 12:56 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a great idea unless you want to be able to do things like file your taxes jointly, claim your spouse as a dependent, get your spouse covered on your health insurance plan, etc...  

This can all be done without a marriage license

(03-27-2013, 01:08 PM)quo warranto Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2013, 12:55 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with this is that the function of the government is to promote the common good. This includes promoting the instution of traditional marriage, whether it is sacramental or natural. When the goverment fails to do this, it fails in its purpose.
Should a government that upholds the "rights" of women to kill their own children, (abortion) be left in the position to define or redifine the sacrament of marriage? I say NO!

This is part of why I agree, being that the U.S.A. is not a Catholic nation it should just stop there, though I would hold a Catholic government to higher standards.
(03-27-2013, 12:56 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a great idea unless you want to be able to do things like file your taxes jointly, claim your spouse as a dependent, get your spouse covered on your health insurance plan, etc...  

So it all comes down to taxes does it? I'm sick of the control the gov lords over people. If in the end the government ceases to recognize my marriage and I have to pay a penalty or not get that tax break, so be it!
People are gonna think I'm crazy but I'm thinking of having a marriage license burning party on the capital steps. Who's with me? :bonfire:
The point is that marriage is a societal reality and removing that acknowledgement from our laws would come with its own set of problems.

Besides, the erasure of marriage from our laws would be just as much a victory for the gay marriage crowd as getting gay marriage legally recognized.  Either way, it puts their unions on equal legal footing with actual marriages.
Marriage Licensing is unnecessary though, it began as a racist practiice anyway.
(03-27-2013, 01:17 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]The point is that marriage is a societal reality and removing that acknowledgement from our laws would come with its own set of problems.

Besides, the erasure of marriage from our laws would be just as much a victory for the gay marriage crowd as getting gay marriage legally recognized.  Either way, it puts their unions on equal legal footing with actual marriages.

The laws can recognize marriage without governing it because that is Gods territory. The gov. has no place in deciding who should be getting married. Marriage for Catholics is a sacrament not a secular function. There for we should not be getting state issued licenses for our marriages.
(03-27-2013, 01:23 PM)quo warranto Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2013, 01:17 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]The point is that marriage is a societal reality and removing that acknowledgement from our laws would come with its own set of problems.

The laws can recognize marriage without governing it because that is Gods territory. The gov. has no place in deciding who should be getting married. Marriage for Catholics is a sacrament not a secular function. There for we should not be getting state issued licenses for our marriages.

If there are laws that recognize marriage, there has to be a legal definition of marriage and we are back to the same problem.  Also, marriage is not only sacramental.  There are natural, non-sacramental marriages that have to be taken into account.
(03-27-2013, 01:33 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]

If there are laws that recognize marriage, there has to be a legal definition of marriage and we are back to the same problem.  Also, marriage is not only sacramental.  There are natural, non-sacramental marriages that have to be taken into account.
Why does the law have to recognize my marriage? As long as the church sees me as validly married, I am happy. Our government is so corrupt, I don't want them having anything to do with the sacraments. They can go ahead and give their tax breaks to every Tom, Dick and Harry whether they are "married" to each other or not. If this is happening though, maybe we should be severing our definition of marriage from theirs.
(03-27-2013, 01:46 PM)quo warranto Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2013, 01:33 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]

Why does the law have to recognize my marriage? As long as the church sees me as validly married, I am happy. Our government is so corrupt, I don't want them having anything to do with the sacraments. They can go ahead and give their tax breaks to every Tom, Dick and Harry whether they are "married" to each other or not. If this is happening though, maybe we should be severing our definition of marriage from theirs.

Am I my brothers keeper? 

One problem is when Mr. or Mrs. Wonderful Catholic Person decides to flake on you. If you're Mrs. Catholic, have devoted your entire adult life raising your children, and then get dumped because he's nuts or disappointed or fell for some thang with longer legs or whatever it is that mesmerizes him, you're in deep kimchi. And before anyone says, "that wouldn't happen to me!" or "I'm talking about a Catholic marriage!", know that it happens even to "us" -- to men and women who marry with the most serious traddy Catholic ideas of marriage in mind, and who are marrying someone they believe to the depths of their soul thinks likewise. People flake on other people. Sad but true. And when they do, legal protections would be nice.

Pages: 1 2 3 4