FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: No license, No gay marriage problem!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I really think I have the solution to this whole gay marriage thing. Please tell me where I'm wrong. We need to completely purge the government from the sacrament of marriage. As we stand now, the government has the ability to pervert marriage. If everyone who believes in the sanctity of marriage ceased going to the town clerk (asking permission) and applying for the marriage license, That would be a start. And the wonderful thing about this is, the church could do this in a heartbeat. Just marry couples without the gov. marriage license.

The church needs to take back the sacrament and marry couples without the states involvement. Think about it. Why do we have to ask the governments permission to marry? As soon as the state loses the control that they currently have, the problem will disappear. The churches and only the churches should be allowed to marry the couples they see as fit for the sacrament. No more marriage license no more gay marriage problem. The more I think about it the more sense it makes.
Not only that then priests can deliver homilies on why Unitarians that marry two men are in grievous sin.

tim
(03-27-2013, 12:39 PM)quo warranto Wrote: [ -> ]I really think I have the solution to this whole gay marriage thing. Please tell me where I'm wrong. We need to completely purge the government from the sacrament of marriage. As we stand now, the government has the ability to pervert marriage. If everyone who believes in the sanctity of marriage ceased going to the town clerk (asking permission) and applying for the marriage license, That would be a start. And the wonderful thing about this is, the church could do this in a heartbeat. Just marry couples without the gov. marriage license.

The church needs to take back the sacrament and marry couples without the states involvement. Think about it. Why do we have to ask the governments permission to marry? As soon as the state loses the control that they currently have, the problem will disappear. The churches and only the churches should be allowed to marry the couples they see as fit for the sacrament. No more marriage license no more gay marriage problem. The more I think about it the more sense it makes.

I agree but dont stop there. Get them out of a lot of areas of our private lives.
The problem with this is that the function of the government is to promote the common good. This includes promoting the instution of traditional marriage, whether it is sacramental or natural. When the goverment fails to do this, it fails in its purpose.
Sounds like a great idea unless you want to be able to do things like file your taxes jointly, claim your spouse as a dependent, get your spouse covered on your health insurance plan, etc...  
You're correct. In fact, the government has already perverted the meaning of marriage into something we Catholics know it isn't.
(03-27-2013, 12:55 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with this is that the function of the government is to promote the common good. This includes promoting the instution of traditional marriage, whether it is sacramental or natural. When the goverment fails to do this, it fails in its purpose.

And this why one big reason why I am not a Libertarian anymore. Because I believe government does have a role in society. Christ is King of all creation, and that includes government institutions.
(03-27-2013, 12:55 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with this is that the function of the government is to promote the common good. This includes promoting the instution of traditional marriage, whether it is sacramental or natural. When the goverment fails to do this, it fails in its purpose.
Should a government that upholds the "rights" of women to kill their own children, (abortion) be left in the position to define or redifine the sacrament of marriage? I say NO!
(03-27-2013, 01:01 PM)Farmer88 Wrote: [ -> ]

And this why one big reason why I am not a Libertarian anymore. Because I believe government does have a role in society. Christ is King of all creation, and that includes government institutions.
Agreed. And even on a natuaral leve, the government should be subject to God's Natural Law. I highly suggest that people interested in the relationship between the state and morality read Aquinas' treaty on law in the first part of the second part of the Summa.
(03-27-2013, 01:08 PM)quo warranto Wrote: [ -> ]
Should a government that upholds the "rights" of women to kill their own children, (abortion) be left in the position to define or redifine the sacrament of marriage? I say NO!
Again, when the government fails to promote the common good, it fails in its purpose. If the state gives legal protection to abortion, the state has failed in its purpose.
Pages: 1 2 3 4