FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: If they changed from the TLM to NO now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So last night, looking at and listening to the choir, the following struck me.

While the parishes we have recently certainly haven't been as bad as the 1970s Folk "Masses" of my childhood, they uniformly have emanated that feel of felt decorations, macrame, guitars, and tambourines.....in some cases, the only thing missing was the denim vests.  Because the Mass changes occurred at just that cultural point in time (at least in America), it's somewhat understandable that when outside cultural influences came into the liturgy, they reflected the time & place.

But it seems like the happy-clappy-ism is now frozen like a fly in amber.  The peace signs, the charcoal drawings of stones and wheat, the drum sets.....not unlike the environmental movement, it seems like the NO is going to forever have a whiff of tie dye and ponytails.

One question is - does that cultural specificity doom the NO to increasing irrelevance and artifice as time goes on?

The more interesting and speculative question is - had the Mass changed now instead of 1969, what cultural influences would it have absorbed?  Hip-hop and hi-def?  Fair trade coffee?  I can't imagine.......what do you think?
It's too horrible to contemplate.

Yes, the NO is doomed to irrelevance.  Very little that came out of the 60s will have any lasting value. Some day our long ecclesial nightmare will be over and people will be amazed anyone willingly drank the NO kool aid.
(03-30-2013, 06:30 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]So last night, looking at and listening to the choir, the following struck me.

While the parishes we have recently certainly haven't been as bad as the 1970s Folk "Masses" of my childhood, they uniformly have emanated that feel of felt decorations, macrame, guitars, and tambourines.....in some cases, the only thing missing was the denim vests.   Because the Mass changes occurred at just that cultural point in time (at least in America), it's somewhat understandable that when outside cultural influences came into the liturgy, they reflected the time & place.

But it seems like the happy-clappy-ism is now frozen like a fly in amber.  The peace signs, the charcoal drawings of stones and wheat, the drum sets.....not unlike the environmental movement, it seems like the NO is going to forever have a whiff of tie dye and ponytails.

One question is - does that cultural specificity doom the NO to increasing irrelevance and artifice as time goes on?

The more interesting and speculative question is - had the Mass changed now instead of 1969, what cultural influences would it have absorbed?  Hip-hop and hi-def?  Fair trade coffee?  I can't imagine.......what do you think?

## "Liturgical adaptation" to incorporate the use of iPods ?

Blessing of mouse mats ? 

"SpongeBob Squarepants"  Masses ?

Ring-tones as music for Holy Communion ?

Liturgical Tweeting ?

Homilies about the theological significance of the terabyte ?

Conferences on how prayer is like an upload/download ?

A Childrens' Rite incorporating hacking ?
Apparently there's a way to connect a digital organ to a phone.  Organists can now play the organ from their iPhones!   Of course, churches don't use organs anymore, so I'm not sure what the use is.

Still, if you're going to change things now, that's the way to go.   If I had that, I could attend a TLM and just play the organ at my workplace by proxy.

And speaking of iPhones, that brings us to the latest innovation.  Text Masses.  Instead of speaking responses, all the people will text back to the priest, "And with your spirit!"  Or rather, "And w/ur spirit!"
(03-30-2013, 09:44 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently there's a way to connect a digital organ to a phone.  Organists can now play the organ from their iPhones!   Of course, churches don't use organs anymore, so I'm not sure what the use is.

Still, if you're going to change things now, that's the way to go.   If I had that, I could attend a TLM and just play the organ at my workplace by proxy.

And speaking of iPhones, that brings us to the latest innovation.   Text Masses.  Instead of speaking responses, all the people will text back to the priest, "And with your spirit!"   Or rather, "And w/ur spirit!"

LOL Next innovations:

Confession by NetMeeting or Skype

Missals are replaced by txtz in l33t$p34k  - 3xpL8ind h3ai- http://www.netlingo.com/word/leetspeak.php

kewl, d00dz, w00t !

L33t$p34k K0H\ /(^)T(^): http://www.brenz.net/services/l337Maker.asp

(03-30-2013, 06:41 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]It's too horrible to contemplate.

Yes, the NO is doomed to irrelevance.  Very little that came out of the 60s will have any lasting value. Some day our long ecclesial nightmare will be over and people will be amazed anyone willingly drank the NO kool aid.

NOTHING good came out of the Sixties!
The music in the NO changed in the 80s. It took a whole 80s broadway and adult contemporary feel. Wasn't On eagle's wings written in the 80s? Sure sounds like it. Joe Jackson could have sung it. The music director at the local NO sings like a guy out of an andew lloyd weber musical. The music fits. Yeah, there are still 60s songs but they're mixed in with the 80s stuff.
(04-06-2013, 01:08 AM)karl Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-30-2013, 06:41 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]It's too horrible to contemplate.

NOTHING good came out of the Sixties!

On the contrary, several good things came out of the 60's.  Nothing liturgical, mind you.

For example:

[Image: 220px-Avengers4.jpg]

(03-30-2013, 06:30 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]So last night, looking at and listening to the choir, the following struck me.

While the parishes we have recently certainly haven't been as bad as the 1970s Folk "Masses" of my childhood, they uniformly have emanated that feel of felt decorations, macrame, guitars, and tambourines.....in some cases, the only thing missing was the denim vests.   Because the Mass changes occurred at just that cultural point in time (at least in America), it's somewhat understandable that when outside cultural influences came into the liturgy, they reflected the time & place.

Soon, polyester will be the new lace.

Honestly, not all parishes or dioceses are that stuck in the 60's.  It will pass.
(04-06-2013, 01:26 AM)GeorgeT Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't On eagle's wings written in the 80s?

You're close! It was written in '79. Smile
Pages: 1 2