FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Flashbacks of JPII, It's begun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Alright, all of you old enough to remember, think back to altar girls and communion in the paw.  Now think of the statements of neo Catholics before he "caved", how he'd hold fast and was a conservative.  Now think of what they were saying after he "caved".  Now read this:
Quote: The Vatican's chief spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said the pope's decision was "absolutely licit" for a rite that is not a church sacrament. Francis also took into account "the real situation, the community where one celebrates," Lombardi added.

Like going on a time machine.  An excuse in every pocket.
Best not to look to closely at it all. I will turn a blind eye to it. It's a great way of staying Catholic.
God help us!

I don't want to be going back to the 1980's and having to live through all the confusion and scandals and not having any hope.
At least under BXVI we knew it wasn't getting any worse, the hemorage had stopped and we saw a few signs of a revival, but now with this, we are back to JPII or worse PVI.

There is no chance that the SSPX will even come close to considering a reconciliation with the Novus Ordo Church anytime under this pope and it is becoming clearer that they aren't even on his radar at all.
(04-02-2013, 12:49 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]Best not to look to closely at it all. I will turn a blind eye to it. It's a great way of staying Catholic.

That is the best line i read today. I love it so much, and sadly it is so true.
In some ways Francis may even be more radical than JPII. John Paul was an ecumenist, and participated in a lot of gatherings and meetings with other religions. But he would have never washed the feet of women in the Holy Thursday rite because he did have a strong understanding of the meaning of that rite, and what it implied about priestly ordination.

My feelings on Francis are these: if he truly is a "live and let live" type liberal and doesn't do anything to suppress the Old Mass and traditional Catholicism, then I think the Church will survive his novel ideas and actions. But if he actively tries to persecute Tradition, then all bets are off. He seems like a nice guy(not that that means anything), so I'm hoping he won't hinder the traditional movement.
(04-02-2013, 01:09 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]God help us!

I don't want to be going back to the 1980's and having to live through all the confusion and scandals and not having any hope.
At least under BXVI we knew it wasn't getting any worse, the hemorage had stopped and we saw a few signs of a revival, but now with this, we are back to JPII or worse PVI.

There is no chance that the SSPX will even come close to considering a reconciliation with the Novus Ordo Church anytime under this pope and it is becoming clearer that they aren't even on his radar at all.
In a way, the election of Pope Francis may prove to be a good thing. Now the SSPX's points might be more clearly seen by casual observers. I predict a growth in the traditional Catholics as the pontificate goes on.
He actually reminds me of John Paul the first. From the glasses, the "common man" personality, jovial nature when meeting everybody, uber simple vestments and liturgy. It's like Francis is finishing the rest of JP1's pontificate that never began.
I long for the days when the Pope only comes out on the balcony once every few weeks to bless the crowds and spends the rest of his time reforming the Church's administration, restoring the liturgy and purifying the priesthood.
For the days when no one really knew much about the pope's personality nor hung on every word he said because he never said anything scandalous or shocking.
For the days when the pope rarely left the Vatican and didn't act like a rock star on tour for millions of youth that don't know the difference between the incarnation and the immaculate conception.

(04-02-2013, 01:53 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2013, 01:09 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]God help us!

In a way, the election of Pope Francis may prove to be a good thing. Now the SSPX's points might be more clearly seen by casual observers. I predict a growth in the traditional Catholics as the pontificate goes on.
I think you are likely correct in your assessment.  I know it has already caused me to reconsider some things.  It could also cause people to look at Eastern Catholicism more closely.  However, I think will also cause more people to leave the Church.  I have already heard some rumblings regarding how the liturgy blows in the wind depending on who the pope happens to be at the time.  Their argument is that, when combined with inconsistencies in the presentation of doctrine following Vatican 2, this causes doubt as to the Catholic Church being the true church of God.  I know people who are so frustrated with things that they are openly looking into Western Rite Orthodoxy. 
I see so many comments about the "faithful turning a blind eye", as this is what "GOOD catholics do" but how good of a Catholic can one be if they do not question? Did Saint Paul not challenge Saint Peter? Didn't Saint Doubting Thomas...DOUBT? None of these saints were less catholic than the other. There are so many more examples of faithful catholics *defying* their superiors whilst remaining in good standing with the church.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17