FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Best and Worst: American Cathedral Edition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Here is your chance to post your favorite (and not so favorite) American Cathedrals. From Gothic masterpieces to modernist monstrosities lets take a look at American's grandest houses of worship.

Here is a good reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cat...ted_States

I will start of course:

One of my personal favorites

The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Baltimore, MD

[Image: 250px-BasilicaExterior.jpg]

[Image: 424px-Baltimore_Basilica_main_aisle.JPG]

One of my least favorites

Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption in San Francisco, CA

[Image: 250px-St_Mary%27s_Cathedral_-_San_Francisco.jpg]

[Image: ceil-cross.jpg]
Well if I knew how to post photos, I would post the Cathedral of St. Louis, ie the Rome of the West for the best.

And for the worst, I would go with Las Vegas' Cathedral though it is a close running between it and the Taj Mahoney and the Oakland Cathedral
(04-04-2013, 09:57 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: [ -> ]Well if I knew how to post photos, I would post the Cathedral of St. Louis, ie the Rome of the West for the best.

And for the worst, I would go with Las Vegas' Cathedral though it is a close running between it and the Taj Mahoney and the Oakland Cathedral

[Image: 250px-Cathedral-basilica-of-saint-louis.jpg]

[Image: 240px-Cathedral_Basilica_of_St._Louis.JPG]

[Image: 250px-Lacathedral.jpg]

[Image: 0007.jpg]
St. Louis is nice.  I was in the Something Something of the Something Something in Washington DC once.  It was ok, but I don't know if it was a cathedral or not.  St. Paul's Cathedral is pretty good. I have a vague memory of being in a church building of some sort in Green Bay last year, not sure if it was the cathedral or not, but I was non plussed.

Oh, and Columbus, OH.  I recall it being very woodsy and warm...that's all I can remember.  I was in a fog at the time.

And Lincoln, NE too.  Puke
I made the mistake of going to the NO at the Las Vegas cathedral once.  It was terrible.  Plus being assaulted in typical NO fashion with a "welcome your neighbor" handshake in addition to the handshake of peace was too much to bear.

[Image: DSC_6420.JPG]
(04-04-2013, 09:54 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: [ -> ]Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption in San Francisco, CA

Also known as St. Mary Maytag or Our Lady of Maytag by the locals. What a monstrosity.

Looking at a map it looks like it's far from downtown San Francisco, but I'm not familiar with that area at all. Now, there is a neighborhood called "Japantown" near the cathedral. Maybe that was the inspiration? No offense to the Japanese intended.

(04-04-2013, 09:57 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: [ -> ]Well if I knew how to post photos. . .

I see DoktorDespot beat me to posting the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis and the Taj Mahoney (Los Angeles Cathedral). But since after looking it up I thought it was a must-post, I'll show the Las Vegas Cathedral too.

Best: Cathedral of St. Louis in New Orleans, LA
[Image: 250px-Stlouisskinny.jpg]

[Image: 800px-Saint_Louis_Cathedral%2C_New_Orlea...y_2007.jpg]

Worst: Guardian Angel Cathedral in Winchester, NV near the Las Vegas Strip
[Image: 250px-Guardian_Angel_Catholic_Cathedral%...Nevada.jpg]
(04-04-2013, 10:13 PM)Misplaced Zeal Wrote: [ -> ][Image: DSC_6420.JPG]

Wow.
The Las Vegas Cathedral looks like it should be called "The Church of the Silver Surfer"
(04-04-2013, 10:13 PM)Misplaced Zeal Wrote: [ -> ]I made the mistake of going to the NO at the Las Vegas cathedral once.  It was terrible.  Plus being assaulted in typical NO fashion with a "welcome your neighbor" handshake in addition to the handshake of peace was too much to bear.

I went there for the first time last February.  I couldn't believe it was a Cathedral.  Still can't.
Oakland's is also pretty regrettable (and quite new)

[Image: cathedral-lead-2.jpg]

I find the image of Christ above the sanctuary quite haunting

[Image: C005_ChristGlory.jpg]

The only American Cathedrals I have been to are in Wisconsin.  Green Bay's is absolutely beautiful, though it could use a more elaborate High Altar with baldacchino:

[Image: IC5C5404-36.jpg]

[Image: IC5C5409-41.jpg]

Milwaukee's has the nightmarish Crucifix, and the stupid round configuration with the altar in the center of a circle:

[Image: milwaukee_cathedral2.jpg]

Madison is sadly without a Cathedral at this point, due to arson, but this is what we have in the interim:

[Image: septuagesimasunday.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9