FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
May 1st is the feast day of St. Joseph the Worker.  I have long neglected the study and honor due to our father St. Joseph.  I hope to remedy this oversight with your assistance.

Please recommend any novenas, literature, catholic websites, that you feel will increase knowledge of his life (I intend to meditate on the scripture readings about him) and enkindle devotion for our holy patriarch St Joseph.  Thank you.

St. Joseph, pray for us.
I'm at work right now so I don't have access to the information that I have bookmarked at home. I hope to remember to post it tonight!
(04-08-2013, 01:42 PM)jutius Wrote: [ -> ]May 1st is the feast day of St. Joseph the Worker.  I have long neglected the study and honor due to our father St. Joseph.  I hope to remedy this oversight with your assistance.

Please recommend any novenas, literature, catholic websites, that you feel will increase knowledge of his life (I intend to meditate on the scripture readings about him) and enkindle devotion for our holy patriarch St Joseph.  Thank you.

St. Joseph, pray for us.

St. Joseph was my Father's favorite saint . (He was also devoted to Leo XIII) I found the following prayer in his well-worn missal after he died:

"Glorious St. Joseph, model of all those who are devoted to labor, obtain for me the grace to work in a spirit of penance for the expiation of my many sins; to work conscientiously, putting the call of duty above my inclinations; to work with gratitude and joy, considering it an honor to employ and develop, by means of labor, the gifts received from God; to work with order, peace, moderation and patience, without ever recoiling before weariness or difficulties; to work, above all, with purity of intention, and with detachment from self, having always death before my eyes and the account which I must render of time lost, of talents wasted, of good omitted, of vain complacency in success, so fatal to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all after your example, O Patriarch Joseph. Such shall be my watchword in life and in death. Amen."

The parts I've emboldened were underlined in his missal. He was blessed with more energy & enthusiasm for his work than anyone I've met since. He owned a neighborhood bakery & was up at 4 AM. each morning to get to work in time to fire the ovens & have fresh rolls & donuts ready for men & women on their way to work. All five of us children worked there after school & during the summers. We learned the meaning & joy of hard work & a job well done.  It was usually 6:30 or later when we cleaned up & locked the door for the night. Yet, I NEVER heard him complain.

He was what today would be called a "welfare child" & was determined to provide his family with a decent living. As it ended up, he sent all 5 of us to college & retired in relative comfort. He always gave the credit to St. Joseph.
That is a beautiful prayer and testimony.  I will use this prayer.  You are blessed to have such a father-he is still with you.
(04-08-2013, 03:30 PM)jutius Wrote: [ -> ]That is a beautiful prayer and testimony.  I will use this prayer.   You are blessed to have such a father-he is still with you.

I was truly blessed with both of my parents. My Mother lacked confidence & as a result was a bit dependent, but she LOVED her family & showed it every day. She did many things that were harder for her than they were for more confident people. If someone asked me to give a description of her today, I would say, "She Loved".

I do believe that my parents are still with me, though Dad died suddenly 23 yrs. ago. Mother has been gone 14 yrs. I just pray to God that I am as good a parent to my children, as they were to me.
I always pray the devotion of the Seven Joys and Sorrows of St. Joseph.  It has been somewhat neglected but can be found in many older prayer books such as Blessed Be God.  It is an excellent devotion which, I feel, really enters into the chaste heart of St. Joseph. 
(04-09-2013, 02:37 PM)lee_ledbetter Wrote: [ -> ]I always pray the devotion of the Seven Joys and Sorrows of St. Joseph.  It has been somewhat neglected but can be found in many older prayer books such as Blessed Be God.  It is an excellent devotion which, I feel, really enters into the chaste heart of St. Joseph. 

Here is one location for this prayer online:  http://www.prayerbook.com/Devotions/Joseph/sjjoys.htm...  It first shows a simple list, and then longer prayers.  The simple list is useful for memorization.
'The Life and Glories of St. Joseph'.

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL14020109M...St._Joseph
Thank you for the prayer and the book on St. Joseph

Beautiful song about St. Joseph:

St. Joseph’s hidden life (Fr. James Martin S.J.):

From the Franciscan Friars, Dr. Mark Miravalle has several talks on St. Joseph.  Search the site for “St. Joseph”
https://www.youtube.com/user/franciscanf...ture=watch

St. Joseph, pray for us.