FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Scanta Missa or FSSP workshop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We are going to send our parish priest to a workshop to learn the TLM. Chicago is closer, but are they truly traditional like the FSSP. I know the FSSP not only teaches how to say the mass, but teaches some technology behind it.
Have you looked at the Sancta Missa website?  You can get a pretty good idea of their positions from that.
(04-11-2013, 03:33 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]Have you looked at the Sancta Missa website?  You can get a pretty good idea of their positions from that.
Yes, but is one better?
(04-11-2013, 03:48 PM)jim111 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2013, 03:33 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]Have you looked at the Sancta Missa website?  You can get a pretty good idea of their positions from that.
Yes, but is one better?

You would trust my judgment about what is truly traditional?  You are virtually unique among Fish Eaters.  Grin
Just based on my knowledge of the FSSP seminary and the priests involved in the training (as well as the overall liturgical life at the seminary and the devotion given to faithful execution of the rubrics), I would go with the FSSP program. Visiting priests have the opportunity to participate in the office and the overall traditional prayer life of the seminary, so I think it would provide a better "all around" experience.
Believe it or not, the area where I live has a young Jesuit that was interested in saying the TLM. He went to the FSSP seminary in Nebraska and it seems to have done him a world of good. Can you imagine this rare opportunity to be among young, energetic and devout young seminarians and priests, as opposed to the old, liberal and modernist crowd of Jesuits.
It will be a great experience for your priest to experience the energy and excitement of the FSSP environment.
Does the training take place at the FSSP seminary ? The reason I ask is Fr. Fryar FSSP goes to Mexico to teach the TLM there.  St. John Cantius trains pretty well, they taught the priests at EWTN. I'm an FSSP supporter.

tim
(04-11-2013, 03:55 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2013, 03:48 PM)jim111 Wrote: [ -> ]
Yes, but is one better?

You would trust my judgment about what is truly traditional?  You are virtually unique among Fish Eaters.  Grin
But not literally.
FSSP are great.  You should also look into the Institute of Christ the King though.  They offer training for priests at no charge (a free-will offering is greatly appreciated, but not required).  They focus not only on learning the rubrics, but also the spiritual and theological aspects of the Traditional Mass.  From their website:

Quote:All priests who are seriously interested in learning to celebrate the Extraordinary Form of the Roman rite and of coming to a fuller understanding of its spirituality are fraternally invited to contact the US Provincial Headquarters of the Institute of Christ the King in Chicago.

During this historic moment, we offer priests the opportunity to be introduced to the Rites of the Classical Roman Liturgy individually or in small groups while living with the Institute’s community at one of our Oratories in the United States or at our International Seminary near Florence, Italy. Thus, our fellow clergy are kindly invited to live the daily celebration of the Ancient Roman Liturgy in an atmosphere based on the spirit of faithful Romanity cherished by the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest since its beginning.

The demand is growing and we may have to ask for your patience. However, time frames can be adapted to the circumstances of our priestly confreres. No fee is asked; however, a fraternal donation to the household of the respective community would be welcome.
http://www.institute-christ-king.org/lat...-training/
They both are great but if your parish priest says the Novus Ordo too he may be shown there more orthodox stuff to be done with the Novus Ordo as well as learning the Traditional Latin Mass there.
Pages: 1 2